Iowa State vs. Georgia gameday thread.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
So true, so true. To those who lament Georgia's "hot" shooting, I wonder how many other teams packed it in and dared them to shoot uncontested outside shots like we did tonight?
not the first time we have seen it happen either. I'm so sad. We could have been in the final four this year. Stanford is not that good.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I apologize. Just frustration and disappointment from the last couple of days. You're right ... great season ladies!!!

I understand. We drove 18 hours straight to watch the men's game, then got stranded in Indiana by the weather, and finally got home, just to watch another game slip away from us. Nonetheless, both men and women gave us much to be proud of this season.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Moody's an excellent PG who struggles mainly because she has to shoulder the load for 35 minutes (or more) every game. In the past, we could count on someone who could spell the primary PG. We didn't have that luxury this year. Kidd isn't a good enough PG to play there for long stretches. There are almost literally no other options. We need Buckley to tear it up at PG so she can be trusted enough to give Moody a break once and a while.

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
I think a lot of cyclone fans are just disappointed from the last few days with a couple of really close losses...I for one loved watching this team all season. They played so well together and it was fun to watch. Today was just a bad shooting day, and some silly turnovers in horrible spots. I can't wait to see where Pop gets drafted in 3 weeks, and hopefully Prins does too. It will be an exciting time for the cyclone fans. Congrats to the team on an excellent season. I can't wait for next winter already...well for basketball not for the weather.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Moody's an excellent PG who struggles mainly because she has to shoulder the load for 35 minutes (or more) every game. In the past, we could count on someone who could spell the primary PG. We didn't have that luxury this year. Kidd isn't a good enough PG to play there for long stretches. There are almost literally no other options. We need Buckley to tear it up at PG so she can be trusted enough to give Moody a break once and a while.
s

She also has/consistently drawn the best defender. Even having a couple other players who can help bail her out of a trap would be good.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
So true, so true. To those who lament Georgia's "hot" shooting, I wonder how many other teams packed it in and dared them to shoot uncontested outside shots like we did tonight?

Daring a poor shooting team to hit a shot they haven't hit all year is exactly what I would do. Their strength was slice and dice. Tonight was just one of those nights that suck!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think a lot of cyclone fans are just disappointed from the last few days with a couple of really close losses...I for one loved watching this team all season. They played so well together and it was fun to watch. Today was just a bad shooting day, and some silly turnovers in horrible spots. I can't wait to see where Pop gets drafted in 3 weeks, and hopefully Prins does too. It will be an exciting time for the cyclone fans. Congrats to the team on an excellent season. I can't wait for next winter already...well for basketball not for the weather.
correct.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
my comments were made in the hope of reverse psychology as it always seems to work for the WBB. 2nd place conf. finish and 3 AMAZING seniors including Pop who probably for me is my favorite isu wbb player ever. Thank you 3 for everything. Both of these senior classes, (men and women) were VERY SPECIAL.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Moody really is a defensive liability and her decision making at key times is highly questionable. Goodrich at KU and Hook at OU both played pretty much the whole game today so I am not sure that is a huge deal. You can point to her number of assists but my belief is that number is inflated because of how many she received off post feeds because of our very talented post players.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Daring a poor shooting team to hit a shot they haven't hit all year is exactly what I would do. Their strength was slice and dice. Tonight was just one of those nights that suck!
I started this thread and abandoned it, my eyes glued to the game. I agree with your assessment. I think we were a better team than this team. They also played more aggressively than we did, we seemed too tentative, perhaps worried about tiring out our starters. It came down to, we didn't have enough players hitting outside shots, because we missed a huge number of shots we normally make. The only one really on tonight was Prins. Pop, Hallie, and Nikki, had their moments but were really inconsistent. Brin couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was really surprised at that. I think they shadowed her pretty close, but she still had shots she made on Saturday. This isn't the year for Cyclone luck. Also the lack of bench hurt us.

I am still really proud to be a Cyclone. We have the greatest bunch of young ladies. The men's team also, beyond comparison. We'll set them up and knock them down the next time, learn from our mistakes and move on. Great effort tonight, should have given us the win.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
You can point to her number of assists but my belief is that number is inflated because of how many she received off post feeds because of our very talented post players.

If you want to play that game, then add in all the assists she didn't get because passes went through hands, point-blank shots were missed, or fouls were called. It goes both ways.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
The end of the season came too soon for this group. Especially the seniors. Didn't play the way they had as a team to get here, but that's the way the tourney is. Unforgiving. Kind of like me now, unforgiving for the 2 players that left. They put themselves above the team and could have made a difference. The people that defended them shamelessly, like saying they sat a few rows from the bench somehow aren't around now on the board, and haven't been. I hope you gave up your tickets.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I have been noticing that Nikki sometimes plays sloppy early in the game. Not sure I understand why, perhaps she is dealing with butterflies. She is a great player with great talent. I am not worried about her at all, I have confidence in her and Kidd. We just missed shots we normally make tonight. Even then probably lots of nights we would have beaten that team because they were hitting shots they normally don't make. It was par for the course for ISU luck lately. Those folks that criticize the players, have never played a basketball game. No one is perfect every time out. No coach hits the right strategy every time.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have been noticing that Nikki sometimes plays sloppy early in the game. Not sure I understand why, perhaps she is dealing with butterflies. She is a great player with great talent. I am not worried about her at all, I have confidence in her and Kidd. We just missed shots we normally make tonight. Even then probably lots of nights we would have beaten that team because they were hitting shots they normally don't make. It was par for the course for ISU luck lately. Those folks that criticize the players, have never played a basketball game. No one is perfect every time out. No coach hits the right strategy every time.

Her affinity for spurts of turnovers and stagnant periods directing the offense drives me a little crazy. She does dish out some nice assists but the line from that old Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem keeps popping into my head “And when she was good, she was very, very good, But when she was bad she was….â€￾ Maybe she will find that consistency and focus she needs to be better than just good next year.

Our seniors played like seniors who really wanted that Sweet Sixteen berth. Anna and Poppens had a box score full of stats tonight. Feel bad they don’t get to keep playing. At least this year Anna got to show some of her critics how she can really play when she isn’t sick or injured. She had some great games as a senior and should be proud of her senior year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron