IOWA STATE TO BIG TEN?!? Dave Wannstedt thinks so.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The panic some are exhibiting here is borderline hilarious. The Big 12 will continue to exist and will add four teams...very soon. A new contract will be issued in which teams get somewhere in the 25-30 million range for TV rights. There will be no new GOR, as a few teams have options they will be exercising...at a later date...and so will not bind themselves. The new teams are coming....and are ecstatic about it. Nobody is going to hold out on coming to the Big 12 and demand we sign a new GOR...ain't happening.

You believe an OU-less and UT-less Big 12 will still make $30 mill per team per year in media payouts?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
So $250k-$300k? Seems generous.

Agreed. I'd personally be willing to make an offer for the TV rights with whatever random cash is collecting dust in my wallet and an old pair of Puma's I only use when it's ****** outside - good luck beating that, ESPN.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
You believe an OU-less and UT-less Big 12 will still make $30 mill per team per year in media payouts?

I actually think money will remain about where it is now. It will be a contingency in expediting OU's & UT's departure. All the new schools will take reduced shares obviously. If Amazon gets involved, it could be even more, but who knows if that will happen.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
No one knows Gonzo. We’re not media economists or TV contract writing executives and lawyers.
I’d expect no less than 25. ESPN is in a very bad position legally and desperately want to get OUT over to the SEC. instead of a huge payout to the Big 12 as a penalty, they are going offer a sweet contract as an incentive to get the Big 12 to minimize exit and GOR liabilities.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I actually think money will remain about where it is now. It will be a contingency in expediting OU's & UT's departure. All the new schools will take reduced shares obviously. If Amazon gets involved, it could be even more, but who knows if that will happen.
This. ^^^

Reactions: jackrabbit

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Well I'm guessing the new members' leaders are probably saying something to the Big 12 presidents and ADs along the lines of ... 'hey, seems to be some stuff happening, are you guys really committed to this conference moving ahead?'. If Big 12 schools bring them in now only to bail out in a few years, that'd be a pretty bad look.

It's an assumed risk. These schools make like 7MM per in TV revenue and other than BYU loan their athletic departments millions every year. Cincy loans their AD like 25MM per. If they can get around 3 times what they currently make in TV revenue (reduced share) for 2 or 3 years it's worth the risk IMO.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’d expect no less than 25. ESPN is in a very bad position legally and desperately want to get OUT over to the SEC. instead of a huge payout to the Big 12 as a penalty, they are going offer a sweet contract as an incentive to get the Big 12 to minimize exit and GOR liabilities.

Didn't BB himself say that with OuT and 50% of the media $$$ gone the per school media values were closer to $15 million?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It's an assumed risk. These schools make like 7MM per in TV revenue and other than BYU loan their athletic departments millions every year. Cincy loans their AD like 25MM per. If they can get around 3 times what they currently make in TV revenue for 2 or 3 years it's worth the risk IMO.
If they pass, memphis takes their spot and they may not get another chance

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Didn't BB himself say that with OuT and 50% of the media $$$ gone the per school media values were closer to $15 million?
Supposed to be $20 to $25 million with additions. The AAC schools can’t afford not to give it a try

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
He sure did and it was a stupid thing to say. What is the value of Indiana, Purdue and most of the schools in the big 10 compared to Ohio St., Michigan and Penn. St? Or the SEC schools without LSU, Alabama and the rest, is S. Carolina worth the same money to the league as Georgia or Florida? Not even close.

The value of the schools was based on their ratings, well 33 of the 38 games they looked at, both OU and UT played on tier one channels. If UT has such a draw for the ratings, why has the Longhorn Network drawn flies since it started? What matters is the tier 1st and then the teams 2nd. Put an ISU/OSU Big 12 game on Fox or ESPN and it will draw better than an OU/KU game or a UT/Baylor game.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
The numbers will be public soon. I think you’ll be very surprised. Remember…new members will receive quite a bit less money for a good number of years…existing members will get very solid media checks for the foreseeable future. Those that stay will, anyway.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
He sure did and it was a stupid thing to say. What is the value of Indiana, Purdue and most of the schools in the big 10 compared to Ohio St., Michigan and Penn. St? Or the SEC schools without LSU, Alabama and the rest, is S. Carolina worth the same money to the league as Georgia or Florida? Not even close.

The value of the schools was based on their ratings, well 33 of the 38 games they looked at, both OU and UT played on tier one channels. If UT has such a draw for the ratings, why has the Longhorn Network drawn flies since it started? What matters is the tier 1st and then the teams 2nd. Put an ISU/OSU Big 12 game on Fox or ESPN and it will draw better than an OU/KU game or a UT/Baylor game.
Remember, Bowlsby job is to make van argument for the greatest amount of damages possible. It’s entirely in the Big 12’s interest to inflate those numbers to the greatest extent possible.

Reactions: WhoISthis

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Remember, Bowlsby job is to make van argument for the greatest amount of damages possible. It’s entirely in the Big 12’s interest to inflate those numbers to the greatest extent possible.
He made those comments before OU/UT announced that they were leaving the league, so it nothing to do with any future lawsuits against both schools or ESPN.
I think he did it to suck up to OU/UT and show both that they were important to the league. But his comment came back to bite him in the ass.

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
He made those comments before OU/UT announced that they were leaving the league, so it nothing to do with any future lawsuits against both schools or ESPN.
I think he did it to suck up to OU/UT and show both that they were important to the league. But his comment came back to bite him in the ass.
I thought that was info he shared at the TX State Legislatur.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I think that's incorrect. Further, I've seen a couple analysis that showed pretty clearly this was wrong. But that perception is certainly out there now and can't be pulled back.

Things are actually moving WAY faster than I'd expected...I think uncertainty is bad for everybody so my guess is the OUT settlement may be coming a LOT sooner than anyone expects. After that, things will really start getting exciting.

Reactions: jackrabbit

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron