Iowa State strengths and weaknesses

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Reiterating from my other post, but this is a list of the All-American teams, while the other is a ranking of draft value. In your original reply, you implied that there was little question that Kolar was the superior player. We’re you arguing statistically, or do you agree that Kmet is a better NFL prospect?
You can be a great college player and not pan out in the NFL, and vice versa.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
This is an All-American team list and not an NFL draft projection, so the aim that the two sources are taking are not the same. Do you think that Kolar had a better year but agree that Kmet is a better NFL prospect?

Kmet might be a better draft prospect, but I'd never sell Kolar short. ND has five and four star talent up and down the line-up. We, admittedly, do not. But for some reason you continue down this Kmet vs.
Kolar narrative even after Charlie was named AP All-American. Can we have our due on one position?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Reiterating from my other post, but this is a list of the All-American teams, while the other is a ranking of draft value. In your original reply, you implied that there was little question that Kolar was the superior player. We’re you arguing statistically, or do you agree that Kmet is a better NFL prospect?

who really knows? Your guy gets the benefit of playing for a school with a reputation.

Charlie is hurt by iowa state’s perception in the nfl. For example, see Allen Lazard. He wasn’t drafted mainly because he was at Iowa state. Now he is playing lots of minutes for Green Bay and Aaron Rogers loves him.

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
Kmet might be a better draft prospect, but I'd never sell Kolar short. ND has five and four star talent up and down the line-up. We, admittedly, do not. But for some reason you continue down this Kmet vs.
Kolar narrative even after Charlie was named AP All-American. Can we have our due on one position?

ND has one five-star on the entire roster, and he isn’t going to play.

The only reason that I brought up the TE situation was because cyclone101 said that anyone who thinks that Kmet is better is flat out wrong. Since I’m not familiar with Kolar, I was curious as to why he might not be on the list. I thought that he might not be eligible, but he’s a redshirt sophomore.

I’m sure that there are players on ISU’s roster that are better than what ND has. Your QB is definitely better, and it isn’t close. You probably have better RBs too.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Agreed. I don’t know if cyclone101’s original contention was that Kolar was a better draft prospect or not.

OK, are you saying there is no way any Cyclone fan should think Kolar could be a better prospect?

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
who really knows? Your guy gets the benefit of playing for a school with a reputation.

Charlie is hurt by iowa state’s perception in the nfl. For example, see Allen Lazard. He wasn’t drafted mainly because he was at Iowa state. Now he is playing lots of minutes for Green Bay and Aaron Rogers loves him.

I definitely remember Lazard from his recruitment. A lot of NFL assessments boil down to measurables. I’m surprised that Lazard wasn’t drafted. A 4.55 in the 40 is great for his size.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ND has one five-star on the entire roster, and he isn’t going to play.

The only reason that I brought up the TE situation was because cyclone101 said that anyone who thinks that Kmet is better is flat out wrong. Since I’m not familiar with Kolar, I was curious as to why he might not be on the list. I thought that he might not be eligible, but he’s a redshirt sophomore.

I’m sure that there are players on ISU’s roster that are better than what ND has. Your QB is definitely better, and it isn’t close. You probably have better RBs too.
I'd venture to guess our WR group is better as a whole

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
OK, are you saying there is no way any Cyclone fan should think Kolar could be a better prospect?

No, I was just surprised that he was so adamant that it was a no-brainer. When I posted, I didn’t even say that Kmet was the best TE, just that he was in the discussion. From the looks of it, which of them is better seems to be up for interpretation.

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
I'd venture to guess our WR group is better as a whole

Possible. ND has one really good WR (Chase Claypool), one talented but very raw WR (Braden Lenzy), and a WR (Chris Finke) who is a former walk on that has underperformed this year. It’s not exactly what Alabama is throwing out there :D

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I definitely remember Lazard from his recruitment. A lot of NFL assessments boil down to measurables. I’m surprised that Lazard wasn’t drafted. A 4.55 in the 40 is great for his size.

Right and that's why we are not going to necessarily buy that some random ND TE is a better NFL prospect than Kolar.

It seems like a weird argument for you to have on here. Are Iowa State fans on the ND boards telling you how much better your guy is?

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
Right and that's why we are not going to necessarily buy that some random ND TE is a better NFL prospect than Kolar.

It seems like a weird argument for you to have on here. Are Iowa State fans on the ND boards telling you how much better your guy is?

No need to be so sensitive. I’m not here to troll or argue with you guys. If you look back through my posts, you will notice that at no time did I say that Kmet was a better player.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No need to be so sensitive. I’m not here to troll or argue with you guys. If you look back through my posts, you will notice that at no time did I say that Kmet was a better player.
I agree. You weren't the poster who was adamant about his team's TE being better and it was foolish to think otherwise.

Reactions: KenND

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Agreed. I don’t know if cyclone101’s original contention was that Kolar was a better draft prospect or not.

Kolar's a redshirt soph, and Kmet is a junior, so while the same age, Kmet's got one more season under his belt (and apparently a season at pitcher for the baseball team). I wouldn't argue with you that Kmet is the better draft prospect at this time.

At the same time, Kolar's an All-American.

I think you can say truthfully that both teams have weapons at the TE position and should figure into the outcome of the game.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
Kolar's a redshirt soph, and Kmet is a junior, so while the same age, Kmet's got one more season under his belt (and apparently a season at pitcher for the baseball team). I wouldn't argue with you that Kmet is the better draft prospect at this time.

At the same time, Kolar's an All-American.

I think you can say truthfully that both teams have weapons at the TE position and should figure into the outcome of the game.

I noticed someone saying in another thread that Kolar may not have too end speed for a TE. If that is true, then that would probably explain the draft list.

Knowing that he is such a weapon, it will be interesting to see how ND tried to counter him. The main responsibility will probably be with Rover/LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. He’s extremely athletic and is young, but has done a great job this year.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I noticed someone saying in another thread that Kolar may not have too end speed for a TE. If that is true, then that would probably explain the draft list.
…..

Or, it could be explained that particular draft list is just crap. Can we move on?