Iowa State strengths and weaknesses

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Kareem will play, as far as I know. He has been banged up all year. ND’s two best pass rushers at the beginning of the season were Julian Okwara and Daelin Hayes. Neither will be playing due to injury.

Oh. Forgot about Hayes. Kareem's a stud though.

Reactions: KenND

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
ISU rushing O: 95
ND rushing D: 72

ND rushing O: 46
ISU rushing D: 34

ISU passing O: 9
ND passing D: 3

ND passing O: 49
ISU passing D: 70

giphy.gif

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
Hey @KenND, what do you think this means for the bowl game?

Too early to tell right now. It has been rumored that former ND QB Tom Rees (current QB coach) will call the plays. ND fans are divided on whether the struggles on offense are due to Chip Long being a bad OC, or Ian Book not being able to execute the plays. If you look at the film, it’s clearly Book because there are often open receivers that he doesn’t see.

I’d say that if Long doesn’t call the plays, ND’s offense will probably go from inconsistent to potentially horrific for the game.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm and bawbie

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Every fan base has their share of insufferable douches. I would say that ND fans don’t really see playing ISU as being beneath them though. A lot of it breaks down into a couple of ways:

1. Fans were hoping for a more prestigious bowl like the Orange or Cotton. ND doesn’t want to join a conference, so the program is at the mercy of how the deal with the ACC is structured. It is laid out in such a way that the Orange Bowl was not an option, so it is what it is. That’s the price that you pay for being independent.

2. There is no upside in playing Iowa State. If ND wins, then no one cares because the narrative is that “ND is supposed to win”. A lot of fans would have rather played Texas because it would have been a much easier game, and the win over the “Texas” is perceived as having value, whether it be when ND recruits in Texas or whatever.

1. I understand the desire to stay independent. ND has been able to stay on national tv sets for decades and has a recruiting advantage as a result. If you join a conference, you will become another team in another conference. Obviously, you could still be fine and you would position yourself better for making the CFP, but your name is a brand and not many other schools can claim that. That comes with the price of being seen as elitist and hated by many opposing fan bases.

2. Nationally, it is a no-win situation for you since we are not as big of a name as you would like. We are slowly changing our image and are going to take exception to being under-valued. Having some of those insufferable douches publicly dismiss us is going to ruffle our feathers. We've watched some horrible football for most of our lives and are a fan base with a chip on our shoulders.

FWIW, my father is a huge ND fan and I grew up watching ND all the time. I've been to a game in South Bend and had a great experience. I root for the Irish most times, but not this time. I bleed cardinal and gold. I've seen a lot of both teams this year and I think this will be a really good match-up.

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
1. I understand the desire to stay independent. ND has been able to stay on national tv sets for decades and has a recruiting advantage as a result. If you join a conference, you will become another team in another conference. Obviously, you could still be fine and you would position yourself better for making the CFP, but your name is a brand and not many other schools can claim that. That comes with the price of being seen as elitist and hated by many opposing fan bases.

2. Nationally, it is a no-win situation for you since we are not as big of a name as you would like. We are slowly changing our image and are going to take exception to being under-valued. Having some of those insufferable douches publicly dismiss us is going to ruffle our feathers. We've watched some horrible football for most of our lives and are a fan base with a chip on our shoulders.

FWIW, my father is a huge ND fan and I grew up watching ND all the time. I've been to a game in South Bend and had a great experience. I root for the Irish most times, but not this time. I bleed cardinal and gold. I've seen a lot of both teams this year and I think this will be a really good match-up.

There is a lot of truth in that. Penn State was an independent, and even though they have had some really good seasons, going to the Big Ten has made them an afterthought behind Ohio State and Michigan in a lot of ways. The perception and hatred is something that ND fans become accustomed to. It’s just part of being a ND fan. There is a thread here that mentions how Iowa fans hate ND passionately even though the two teams haven’t played since the 1960s. Other than a few recruiting battles with Iowa in the early 2000s where the Hawkeyes landed some highly ranked recruits (Dace Richardson and Dan Doering) over ND, Iowa just isn’t on the radar of ND fans. I get it, but will always think that it’s weird that fans of programs like Iowa can feel that passionately about ND one way or another.

I think that ND fans that are CFB fans and not just “ND fans” have a lot of respect for what ISU brings to the table. Inevitably, there are people who just can’t help themselves and pay way too much attention to what the national talking heads say.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sorry - the inclusion of the 2 tight ends with "13 personnel" and that defenses being able to handle that just struck me as funny!
*3 tight ends.

Don't apologize, I just couldn't figure out what was funny and if it was thinking I was legitimately proposing to play 13 players, I thought I would inform you. I don't mind being laughed at.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
There is a lot of truth in that. Penn State was an independent, and even though they have had some really good seasons, going to the Big Ten has made them an afterthought behind Ohio State and Michigan in a lot of ways. The perception and hatred is something that ND fans become accustomed to. It’s just part of being a ND fan. There is a thread here that mentions how Iowa fans hate ND passionately even though the two teams haven’t played since the 1960s. Other than a few recruiting battles with Iowa in the early 2000s where the Hawkeyes landed some highly ranked recruits (Dace Richardson and Dan Doering) over ND, Iowa just isn’t on the radar of ND fans. I get it, but will always think that it’s weird that fans of programs like Iowa can feel that passionately about ND one way or another.

I think that ND fans that are CFB fans and not just “ND fans” have a lot of respect for what ISU brings to the table. Inevitably, there are people who just can’t help themselves and pay way too much attention to what the national talking heads say.

Do yourself a favor and don't bother trying to understand an Iowa fan's obsession with the past.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... Inevitably, there are people who just can’t help themselves and pay way too much attention to what the national talking heads say.

Are these ND fans paying any attention to what the Vegas heads are saying when they came out of the gate with only -3.5?

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
Are these ND fans paying any attention to what the Vegas heads are saying when they came out of the gate with only -3.5?

Never doubt Vegas!! Yeah, they come up with a turd now or then, but their spreads are usually spot-on! This will be a close game, and I expect Purdy to run for 50+ yards, and throw for 250+ as we dink our way down the field with their superior pass rush on short routes. One big play will determine the outcome IMO, and it could come from either side. We generally will not allow big plays, but keep it at shorter distances on defense. Good luck to the Nostradamus, and I can't wait for the game...