Iowa State Soccer - USA Today article

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Yeah.. I thought that Tommy Birch had a write up on this. Interesting that it’s gaining more attention.. I think coach got an extension as well.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Didn't this come out several months ago?

Yeah I thought this was old news

Yeah.. I thought that Tommy Birch had a write up on this. Interesting that it’s gaining more attention.. I think coach got an extension as well.
The article in the OP is about Tony Minatta, the previous coach before Fannon, who is now at Stephen F. Austin. The end of the article does mention Fannon's allegations, plus allegations against the coach before Minatta.

dt82

Dec 7, 2006
article comes out about mistreatment of athletes - JP gets AD of the year award?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
#POLLARDTOWN #POLLARD&LIGHT DISTRICT

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
It didn't get enough traction the first go so they're running it again i see

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Serioulsy why can't coaches just coach. Why do they have to be all abusive and stuff. My daughter had so many good soccer coaches that advanced the playing careers of several top players in the state. Some play for Iowa State and others play for Iowa and many other colleges. None of them abused the girls. They all coached the game. They kept players wanting to be in the sport and excel at the sport. This type of stuff is so 1980's where the coach is some crazy Bobby Knight type idiot trying to ruin kids. Fire them all.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Serioulsy why can't coaches just coach. Why do they have to be all abusive and stuff. My daughter had so many good soccer coaches that advanced the playing careers of several top players in the state. Some play for Iowa State and others play for Iowa and many other colleges. None of them abused the girls. They all coached the game. They kept players wanting to be in the sport and excel at the sport. This type of stuff is so 1980's where the coach is some crazy Bobby Knight type idiot trying to ruin kids. Fire them all.

I too hope this kind of crap keeps going by the wayside. But i think there are still "glory day" people that will be like "we didn't get water when we played HS football!" or "it made me who I am." Sometimes it can happen with parenting too....you hear folks of older generations talk about the fear of their father/grandpa...if you look into it a lot of that COULD be considered abuse (again, not all...and certainly not saying all parents of this generation have it pegged either)

There are many ways to motivate, hold folks accountable, and lead....you have to know who you are working with and adapt....that's a general statement, but I think gone are the days of just "because i said so."

Kanuto

Mar 16, 2014
Crickets from ISU Administration! It was a bold (in your face) move to give MF a contract extension right after the Rag article came out. And now this?

I feel bad for the players that came forward and were ignored. Calli needs to go! She is responsible for hiring three abusive coaches and for ignoring player concerns.

Last edited:

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Keep in mind that the USA Today and the RAG are both Gannett publications. Even at the bottom of the recent article the OP posted, Tommy Birch was listed as a contributor.