Iowa State RB David Montgomery is a Modern Day Bell Cow

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Nice breakdown of David Montgomery style from a Pro Scouts prospective leading into the draft and making the case he should be the first RB taken.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/16/iowa-state-rb-david-montgomery-is-a-modern-day-bell-cow/

"With Oklahoma’s Rodney Anderson out for the year with a torn ACL, the 2019 running back class is still open for its RB1. I wasn’t as big on Montgomery going into the season, as I thought he was too limited athletically, but even though he’s not the most athletic back in the class, he has bell cow traits physically and mentality that not many other running backs in this class can boast at his level.
That makes him an alluring choice for the NFL."

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Disrespect_a4ff6e_5288245.jpg

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Those clips are fun to watch. On the first 4th down conversion the guy that eventually tackles him was never more than 5 yards away from him, just couldn't get him.

On the second 4th down conversion WVU plays it alright and the LB is right in the hole and he barely touches David.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Those clips are fun to watch. On the first 4th down conversion the guy that eventually tackles him was never more than 5 yards away from him, just couldn't get him.

On the second 4th down conversion WVU plays it alright and the LB is right in the hole and he barely touches David.
That is something I noticed in these clips. David moves just enough to make the tackle a challenge for the defender. He usually isnt trying to completely avoid contact nor just trying to blow through defenders. He moves in such a way to limit how effective any contact can be. Its why he can be credited with so many missed tackles.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
He's so good at making those twitch-quick moves in stride. He throws the opposing player's momentum off just enough that he's constantly running through off-balanced arm tackles.

giphy.gif

I love how he gets Derrek Pitts (#1) turned around in this clip and DM gets another 10 yards with ease. If he tries to outrun him to the sideline, he probably gets pushed out around the 17

giphy.gif

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I love seeing DM getting this love, because it is deserved. One line that made me wonder how much this guys really knows, was this one: "When he gets in open space, he can make guys miss more than I thought he could going into the season".

He led the country last year in missed tackles forced. If you didn't know he could make people miss, how much are you actually paying attention?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
He's so good at making those twitch-quick moves in stride. He throws the opposing player's momentum off just enough that he's constantly running through off-balanced arm tackles.

giphy.gif

I love how he gets Derrek Pitts (#1) turned around in this clip and DM gets another 10 yards with ease. If he tries to outrun him to the sideline, he probably gets pushed out around the 17

giphy.gif

And more importantly, if he tries to run him over, he probably gets less yardage while increasing the risk of injury. I thought that was a really impressive run on a lot of levels.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
This thread got me thinking.

How bad does it suck to be the actual bell cow (bovine)? Your entire life you have to listen to that ******* bell and it's loud as hell. Should have seen the size of the bells on the cattle in the Swiss alps, you can hear them across the entire damn mountain range.
Don't they just earchip cows now?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
David is a natural. Plus his attitude and work ethic are unsurpassed. Pretty much a guaranteed stud at the next level. I even think he has room to add weight to his frame assuming it doesn't affect his top end speed. He will be a 1st rounder IMO. Butler might be too.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Help Support Us

Become a patron