Iowa State opens as a 2.5 point favorite over Iowa

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
That's a good question, they must have calculated some sort of advantage from starting at -2.5. It will be interesting to see where the money goes and if/how the line moves. When a line is set and the public starts pounding 80% of money on one side and the line doesnt move, thats when you could predict the public is most likely going to lose.

Smart people set the line. From there it's not as difficult. Vegas don't like bad opening lines or they'd have me do them.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You remember, iowa is a national program, right hawkjack???

I mean you don't just finish runner up in the nit, unless you are awesome.

And don't you think that maybe, just maybe, the line was set by folks in the know expecting to draw the "smart" money on a low point spread???

It seems the line was set to get the public on ISU, like Vegas was expecting the sharp money to come in on Iowa.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Have a link to the site you're using? If it's just showing the money breakdown that doesn't tell you if the public is on it or if it's just being pounded by the large bettors. You want to look at a breakdown by number of bets on each side, not the money to see where the public is.

Sbrforum.com, you can get everything you'll need from stats, line movement numbers, picks, etc.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Ah, the old saw about "money on both sides" was rolled out on the last page.
No discussion about point spreads is complete without it.
Vegas isn't going for the ******* vig, they want it all.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
First this isn't the super bowl so not too many casual fans are betting this game. So Vegas has to set a line that will get both sides involved. I would also guess they factor in that more money would come in on the Iowa side because they are better known, and B1G conference member. So they set the line at a point that the money on ISU will even out for people who look at things like home court, rankings and the like.

Don't take it is as a slap in the face of ISU other than the fact that ISU isn't known to much outside of Iowa. Regardless of the fact it has been the better basketball school for quite some time. I would also guess the money that is going to come in on Iowa would come in regardless once again visibility factor, more people know the name Iowa than ISU, and the B1G conference factor. If Vegas can get equal money then they are happy and don't care who wins. If they feel they can't get equal money they will set the line at a point where they think the smaller side will win, in this case ISU.

I don't believe Vegas thinks this is more than a pick'em but feels the money wouldn't be equal at that so slide to the Hawk side hope for equal money, and if not they have the small side being the home school.

What Vegas doesn't want is this line to jump to ISU - 5 or more that means they miss judged the public perception and likely would stand to lose a substantial amount of money.

gnarlyboy

Oct 20, 2013
Iowa has thus far had more exposure with 11 games, all of which were victories, but for OT loss to highly respected Nova team. Iowa also gets props, probably more than deserved, from BTN announcers. Like it or not (I love it), BTN is big business with lots of eyeballs. That is why I would agree that Vegas has set this line lower than what it should be. Computers are meaningless this time of year, but have probably also impacted the line. I like the hawks at +7.5, nothing less at Hilton. Good luck Clone fans. Hope to see a good one.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Ah, the old saw about "money on both sides" was rolled out on the last page.
No discussion about point spreads is complete without it.
Vegas isn't going for the ******* vig, they want it all.

Obviously they want it all, but I'd like to hear the logic on why a bookie would stand to make more money by doing it this way.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I don't think the disrespect is so much towards the team. IMO as an Iowa State fan if you can't at least give Iowa credit for being a good team this year then your probably an idiot or just being an ISU homer. I think the disrespect that is being mentioned is more so a direct result of the "big headed" Hok fans that have come out of the woodwork after they found out that Iowa actually has a good team. The main reason I personally have a deep hatred for Iowa is because of the fans that are constantly pumping their chest and telling everyone how much they suck and how much better the Hoks are than everyone else. All while completely ignoring any factual information what-so-ever. You can't argue with stupidity... to be fair, I also can't stand our own fans who are the same way.
Apparently Hok fans like to bet and lose on this superbowl.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
We are favored; I couldn't care less about the margin.

If you offered me two options right now:

A) 100% chance that ISU wins by 1 point
B) 99% chance that ISU wins by 25 points and 1% chance that Iowa wins

I would take Option A every time. Just win baby.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Regardless of the outcome, there is one absolute certainty. Iowa fans will claim they are the better team.

Scoreboard settles all arguments....unless it's with an Iowa fan.

LetsGoHawks

Sep 15, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Tomorrow night should be a good game. If the hawks gain the lead with their tempo they need to keep pushing tempo or we'll lose. White really struggles with the ball in the half court. If we do decide to slow it down it'' be another Villinova.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The higher rated team will win on it's own court. It's common sense. If you don't want to go with that, we have Fred.

Cyclones 85 Iowa 77

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
First this isn't the super bowl so not too many casual fans are betting this game. So Vegas has to set a line that will get both sides involved. I would also guess they factor in that more money would come in on the Iowa side because they are better known, and B1G conference member. So they set the line at a point that the money on ISU will even out for people who look at things like home court, rankings and the like.

Don't take it is as a slap in the face of ISU other than the fact that ISU isn't known to much outside of Iowa. Regardless of the fact it has been the better basketball school for quite some time. I would also guess the money that is going to come in on Iowa would come in regardless once again visibility factor, more people know the name Iowa than ISU, and the B1G conference factor. If Vegas can get equal money then they are happy and don't care who wins. If they feel they can't get equal money they will set the line at a point where they think the smaller side will win, in this case ISU.

I don't believe Vegas thinks this is more than a pick'em but feels the money wouldn't be equal at that so slide to the Hawk side hope for equal money, and if not they have the small side being the home school.

What Vegas doesn't want is this line to jump to ISU - 5 or more that means they miss judged the public perception and likely would stand to lose a substantial amount of money.

Do you really think that there are going to be many people betting on this game that don't now anything about Iowa State? This isn't a nationally prominent game, the people who are going to be betting on this game likely know quite a bit about each team. As others have said, IMO it seems like Vegas is trying to get the public to bet on ISU.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Do you really think that there are going to be many people betting on this game that don't now anything about Iowa State? This isn't a nationally prominent game, the people who are going to be betting on this game likely know quite a bit about each team. As others have said, IMO it seems like Vegas is trying to get the public to bet on ISU.
Because history proves Iowa has more betting power than ISU. They induce an ISU bet to smooth out the money that follow a BigTen team. A good reason why ISU covers the spread against Iowa many many times.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Because history proves Iowa has more betting power than ISU. They induce an ISU bet to smooth out the money that follow a BigTen team. A good reason why ISU covers the spread against Iowa many many times.

Got any link that shows that the public usually hits Iowa harder than ISU?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
This is a huge game for Iowa, and they need it badly since there is a good chance they will be a bubble team. Winning at Hilton would be a huge notch on their belt. They have been pointing to this game for months. This will not be easy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron