Iowa State needs a new televised sport

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
HS state wrestling has quite a bit higher attendance than HS state basketball.
Because a ton of different schools are represented and people get to skip school and go. How many people show up to state dual's? I see way more people at regular basketball games than wrestling meets. It's a niche sport even in Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: Tacoclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Because a ton of different schools are represented and people get to skip school and go. How many people show up to state dual's? I see way more people at regular basketball games than wrestling meets. It's a niche sport even in Iowa.

Our school closes for state basketball games but doesn’t for wrestling. Know most of the schools are like that up in north Iowa. Not saying wrestling is more popular in Iowa or the whole state but up here the wrestling meets have a higher gate than basketball in most I go to. I have two kids who play basketball and one that wrestles.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I watched the Cyclones softball team upset ranked Texas Tech on Cyclone TV yesterday. It was so entertaining that I'm considering going to Ames to watch them play live at noon today. It's free admission. Just wish it was a little warmer.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Too late in the season for snow volleyball? Just channel flippin' around and the Olympic Channel is carrying the snow volleyball finals in Austria. Saw the title and was all WTF? Three man teams playing on snow rather than sand. Weird.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
It’s less of a niche sport in Iowa than college baseball. I seriously do not understand why people would think sinking millions of dollars into it is a remotely good idea.

If you want Iowa State baseball write a 50 million to get it going and fund it for a bit or shut up about it.

The big 10, the only comparable climate conference to us, averages 1,129 fans per game. Think about that.
Plus northern teams are not competitive in the sport. I think the last time the big ten ever won the whole thing was in the 60s.

Hockey would be way more successful in this state.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
To fill the vast empty black hole between when Prohm loses in the first round of the NCAA tournament (or doesn't make it at all) and when football starts in September.
I see what you're doing there...look, everyone is disappointed ISU lost sooner than expected in the NCAA Tournament. There will be better days ahead.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It’s less of a niche sport in Iowa than college baseball. I seriously do not understand why people would think sinking millions of dollars into it is a remotely good idea.

If you want Iowa State baseball write a 50 million to get it going and fund it for a bit or shut up about it.

The big 10, the only comparable climate conference to us, averages 1,129 fans per game. Think about that.

I think that 1000/game is generous. I was at a Big 10 tournament game in 2015 when they played it at the Twin's Target Field. The only people in the stands were friends and family. It was weird to be at Target Field and just walk down and sit behind the dugout. And, yeah, I was only there because a friends son was playing for Illinois.