Iowa State is the new Press Virginia

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
What impresses me most about our defense is how we really aren't handsey at all. Our footwork is so good staying in front of people and just body checking and cutting them off. Huggin's teams just grabbed and held and hand checked you all game.
I think it's the difference between just being a defensive oriented coach and truly teaching great defense. We've seen a lot of guys come in even over the past 3 years that are quite handsy early on, but develop the skills to get in front of their opponents rather than always trying to catch up.

Virginia is one of those places where great defense is taught and part of the culture. West Virginia is a place where stopping the other team at all costs is used as a stand-in for great defensive coaching, in my opinion. Not that Huggins didn't teach defense, but rather than making it a core way of life, he taught preventing the other team from scoring and having enough depth to handle all the fouls.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Huggins was garbage basketball and a shtick he developed when he didn't win much the first couple years in the conference. The idea was to just foul at all times because the refs can't possibly call it on every possession. The turnovers you generated would make up for foul discrepancies.

We play really solid defense, huge difference.

Reactions: CycloneErik and Jer

Paz23

Feb 23, 2016
I would say our defense reminds me of Baylors national champion team. I don't think we have quite as good as offense as that team. However, they won the title with the craziest on ball defense I have ever seen. 40 minutes of hell by Arkansas was more full court press. UNLV defense (The Amoeba Defense) was like a mid court press that went from Turn over to super quick fast break.

I really think we need a name for our defense. Seems like if you name your defense, you can win a national title j/k but a name is always fun. Let's other teams know they are about to be miserable for 40 minutes
EF5. Plays on the Cyclone/Tornado. Stands for 5 guys playing Elite F'ing defense. Paint a message in the visitor's locker room, "YOU ARE THE TRAILER PARK".

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
EF5. Plays on the Cyclone/Tornado. Stands for 5 guys playing Elite F'ing defense. Paint a message in the visitor's locker room, "YOU ARE THE TRAILER PARK".
It needs a hype video that starts with that scene from Twister around Aunt Meg's dinner table:

"Is there an F5? What would that be like?"

"...Finger of God."

Then simulate a lightning storm with our fancy lights and sound the sirens before transitioning into whatever song we want to feature (ideally one from the soundtrack).

matt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
What impresses me most about our defense is how we really aren't handsey at all. Our footwork is so good staying in front of people and just body checking and cutting them off. Huggin's teams just grabbed and held and hand checked you all game.
….and the players keeping their arms straight vertical avoiding fouls that way too..

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
It hit me last night listening to Settles. Early in the game he said, regarding what its like to play against us, "Iowa State makes you hate playing basketball" and he meant it as the highest complement. We are the team that everybody absolutely hates to play. Coaches lose their minds every game against us. High major players get flustered against us. Fans constantly complain about us. TJ has made this program into a monster.

The only recent comparable team I could think of was Huggin's Press Virginia squads from a decade or so ago. Obviously our play styles are quite different, but the impact is just about the same.
I agree with what JS said. Very accurate

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
It hit me last night listening to Settles. Early in the game he said, regarding what its like to play against us, "Iowa State makes you hate playing basketball" and he meant it as the highest complement. We are the team that everybody absolutely hates to play. Coaches lose their minds every game against us. High major players get flustered against us. Fans constantly complain about us. TJ has made this program into a monster.

The only recent comparable team I could think of was Huggin's Press Virginia squads from a decade or so ago. Obviously our play styles are quite different, but the impact is just about the same.
But the Clones do not hack like them.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL

It's a good comparison in terms of disruption level. Those Press VA teams did foul a lot more though I think, and that really hurt them in the Tourney where sometimes you get a crew calling nickle/dime fouls.

That's a slight worry for me with our guys heading into the Tourney. That said, we're deep. And really, we do a great job of pressuring without fouling.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Personally, I enjoy the double-team at the edge of the 3-pt range that leads to a double-team by two other guys nearer or under the basket. If I had to put a name on it, I would call it "Marathon Ball". Not run-and-gun, but rather Perpetual Motion. Nobody stands still. Everyone is on the move. When it's O, the passing game is an object of beauty. When it's D, look out. Very rarely any open shots for the opponent. Yeah, dog.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Dixon with his snide remarks about our transfers and what it cost. Didn’t mention that all 5 TCU starters were transfers.:mad:
Was this in his press conference after their recent game with us? I just watched it and he didn't appear to say anything snide.

Old Man Randy asked him about TJ inheriting a team that went 2-22 and what that turnaround says about TJ and his staff. Dixon commented how this isn't a 2-22 program, complemented Prohm, and said we're in a new world, you pay money and go get transfers. He was referring to the general state of the college game I think, not commenting on us. He did mention his own transfers. I thought he was really complementary of ISU and TJ in the response.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
When our defense is really humming and I'm not talking about getting TO's just watch our players. The movement, traps, rotations, and recoveries it's really a beautiful thing.
That was so apparent from day 1 with TJ. You could see that the defense was very well orchestrated. Someone was always rotating over into the right spot to defend the paint or take a charge (Jaz). I’m even more impressed with how they’ve adapted to the rule changes not rewarding defenders for plays that used to be an offensive foul.

Reactions: rosshm16

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

I also thought the same about wvu. I hated playing them because you knew if they let them hack the **** out of us we have no chance. Only difference is we have a better offense then wvu but I’ll definitely settle for a Virginia outcome

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron