Iowa State is the new Press Virginia

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
It hit me last night listening to Settles. Early in the game he said, regarding what its like to play against us, "Iowa State makes you hate playing basketball" and he meant it as the highest complement. We are the team that everybody absolutely hates to play. Coaches lose their minds every game against us. High major players get flustered against us. Fans constantly complain about us. TJ has made this program into a monster.

The only recent comparable team I could think of was Huggin's Press Virginia squads from a decade or so ago. Obviously our play styles are quite different, but the impact is just about the same.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Huggins' teams played defense like horny spider monkeys. When you got done playing, you had to point to a doll and tell a jury where the bad man touched them.

I prefer to think of our style as 'mob enforcers running a training exercise in fast forward'.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What impresses me most about our defense is how we really aren't handsey at all. Our footwork is so good staying in front of people and just body checking and cutting them off. Huggin's teams just grabbed and held and hand checked you all game.

And very much played "refs can't call them all" defense so much to the point it often swung around and somehow the other team would end up getting more fouls called because they were being judged to different standards

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Little faster paced than they were, but i thought the same exact thing.

Ya not offensively, just defensively. Even then I think the way we work our system to create turnovers is different from UVA which seemed to be geared toward creating bad shots and being really good on the glass. Tamin is such a unique athlete that it makes what we do unique imo.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
What impresses me most about our defense is how we really aren't handsey at all. Our footwork is so good staying in front of people and just body checking and cutting them off. Huggin's teams just grabbed and held and hand checked you all game.

Agreed. Rob and Ward still seem to reach/get a little handsy out by the 3 point line, when it's completely unnecessary. Good for a couple fouls a game.

Watch TJ's reaction after one of those fouls; he'll smile, put his hands in the air as if to say "I've told you this a thousand times".

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
When I read the title I thought we don't press like WVU did. Then I realized you more meant the frustration level our defense creates is similar to press Virginia. Total agree with that take. Teams, coaches and players get tired of fighting every possession and it shows especially late in the half.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think we do a great job of funneling the ball where we want it to go. Opposing offenses have to consciously go against the grain visually. We make it look like there is an opening, but in reality we are putting them where we want them, which is no bueno for them.

Our bigs are very good guarding up top, also. What Hasan Ward does up top, against guards, is not normal.

We’re not invulnerable though. BYU showed that. A team with multiple shooters and relatively good ball handlers can pick us apart if they are patient. Patience is just not easy to do against the defense we employ.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
This is the key difference to me. Homer fans of our opponents will probably disagree, but we play pretty clean defense by Big 12 "physicality" standards. Those WVU teams fouled you all over the court knowing at most only one of them is going to get called. We also don't full-court press all that much (although I don't think that's the point OP was making).

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Jess mentioned this in the game last night and I can confirm. You don't truly understand just how intense and elite this defense is until you sit near courtside. I watch most games on TV, but got some really good seats last Saturday against TCU and their defensive effort was UNREAL. It looks great on tv, it looks overwhelming up close in person.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
It hit me last night listening to Settles. Early in the game he said, regarding what its like to play against us, "Iowa State makes you hate playing basketball" and he meant it as the highest complement. We are the team that everybody absolutely hates to play. Coaches lose their minds every game against us. High major players get flustered against us. Fans constantly complain about us. TJ has made this program into a monster.

The only recent comparable team I could think of was Huggin's Press Virginia squads from a decade or so ago. Obviously our play styles are quite different, but the impact is just about the same.
"Press Virginia" made me hate watching basketball and it often wasn't basketball being played out there. That's a comparison I hope to never see made about ISU again

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron