Iowa State in the Spread...count on it!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
The recruiting emphasis points towards Iowa State going strong into a spead offense this season. Coach McFarland was known for his spread previous coaching stints, but Iowa State didn't have the personel for much spread last year. I believe we'll see more and more spread offense, Arnaud and Bates rotating at QB to start and IF the Big 12 continues to allow illegal holding by the receivers, almost totally spead for ISU in the conference. Chizik is a quick learn, and he saw Mizzou and KU last season. And yes, we'll have freshmen receivers playing a lot of minutes.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Totally agree. Going to love to seeing our running backs work out of the spread also. Bass and Robinson's skills are perfect for the spread. Good hands and are fast and elusive. Would also like to see a couple sets with Arnaud, Bates, and Tiller. Probably will never happen, but would give opposing defensive coordinators headaches. I'm liking the number of offensive skill players Gene has put together.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Maybe we could run a sort of "wild hog" formation with Bates. It would be perfect for his skill set.

CyclonesRule

Apr 10, 2006
West Des Moines
Missouri has been running it for awile now but the worst scoring output for them this past year during the regular season was 31 points. Thats alot of scoring and a lot of exciting football. I can't wait till ISU is racking up that many points a game.

msadams82

Jan 23, 2008
I don't know if I would throw our team at the mercy of the spread offense just yet. While it is necessary to have a few formations in your offense similar to the spread (4 or 5 wide, trips, flex, etc.), I think ISU needs to establish their offensive line and running game. Let's stick with a pro-style offense and work on being a physical team before being a finesse team.

Personally, I am not a fan of the spread. I love running to set up the pass. Not the other way around. Just because it works for some teams, does not mean it will work for others. Especially with young QB's.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
yeah I got very tired of watching missouri and kansas hold us on virtually every passing down. Then again, I am one to believe that the big 12 officials are not all that good/fair most of the time. For being a major conference, they sure have sub-par officiating.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
The "Spread Offence Revolution" is on ...and its hightime that iowa state joins in on the fun!!

I hope our O-line will allow us to run this...Might have to wait for the lineman that Chiz got in this class since they are a better fit for a faster spread offense type...just a thought...

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Oregon actually used Dennis Dixon, their starting quarterback, in the same formation. They called it the pistol formation.

Nevada started the "Pistol" a few years ago. Houston ran some form of it; can't remember what they called it. I think it would be awesome to see some form of the "Wild Hog" with Bates or the "Pistol" with AA or Bates.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I think some believe that the spread takes pressure off your oline because more DBs/speedy LBs are needed to cover receivers. However, I believe that its the other way around. Just like DB's in one on one coverage are left on an island to defend, the oline's going to be more pressured by some of the outstanding/strong, big, fast DEs and DTs in the B12. If, and that's a big if, the oline continues to surprise and improve, then we are setting ourselves up for a KU style offensive break through. However, as with most everything in FB, no matter what formation you're running, it comes down the oline being the path to success, followed by your dline. People are sometimes mystified why ISU has so many quality skill players, well that's because a premium is placed on recruiting good lineman for this reason.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I would love if we had the hogs to line up in the I and run the **** out of the ball. Probably won't happen unless we would ever get Loney back.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
yeah I got very tired of watching missouri and kansas hold us on virtually every passing down. Then again, I am one to believe that the big 12 officials are not all that good/fair most of the time. For being a major conference, they sure have sub-par officiating.

yeah, I bet the big12 is directing them to help big12 traditional powers KU and MU defeat ISU to keep us down. I definitely sense conspiracy.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Maybe we could run a sort of "wild hog" formation with Bates. It would be perfect for his skill set.

They actually already have it. Before the season started MaxPower and I "watched" a practice in JTS from outside the fence. They ran it with Bates and it seemed to work. They just never ran it in a game.

I expect to see a lot more spread this year.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
"Wild Hog"?? Anyone want to inform me what type of formation that is?