Iowa State has waved the white flag, we've conceded.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's been a brutal year all around. With the health situation I don't think we should accept a bid to a postseason tourney. Flush this season and move on. I am incredibly excited about next season.

Unless we somehow went on a 4 day tear and made it to the tournament, i might be inclined to agree. NIT might have some value, and might get some home scheduling, so that could be nice, but otherwise, best to move on from a season that was always destined to be rather forgettable.

Lots to look forward to next year.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Hopefully they didn't miss something with Babb's injury. And hopefully whatever it is, it isn't something that is going to require a major surgery.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't know if I ever remember a basketball season as injury riddled as this one.

I can't recall one to this extent, either — I'm sure some fans can think of other years that may rival it. ...

99-00 team had several players miss games, but I think it was spread more even throughout the season. This year, the Bug didn't just hit one significant player (such as Naz having to shut it off partway through the season). It was one or two players for a game or two here and there, sometimes overlapping.

How many guys with major minutes on this roster have been injury-free the entire way in 17-18? Wiggi, Jackson, Beverly?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It's too bad the seniors have to go out on a season like this. Five years from now, I think this season really sticks out as an outlier to the norm. Sucks that Jackson, Beverly and Brase won't get the proper NCAA Tourney send-off.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I can't recall one to this extent, either — I'm sure some fans can think of other years that may rival it. ...

99-00 team had several players miss games, but I think it was spread more even throughout the season. This year, the Bug didn't just hit one significant player (such as Naz having to shut it off partway through the season). It was one or two players for a game or two here and there, sometimes overlapping.

How many guys with major minutes on this roster have been injury-free the entire way in 17-18? Wiggi, Jackson, Beverly?

Weiler-Babb -- multiple games with knee issues

Lard -- a few games to start the season on disciplinary issues

Jackson -- available for every game so far, but might need a mourning period now

Wigginton -- been there for every game

Long -- missed about a month with a concussion

Talley -- missed about a month and a half with a foot injury

Lewis -- missed a few games to start the season on disciplinary issues

Brase -- chronic knee and ankle issues, never really been healthy

Young -- knee issue, might be shutting it down for the year

Beverly -- been there the whole time

Looks like we are 2/10 on 100% availability depending on if Donovan needs a break.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Weiler-Babb -- multiple games with knee issues

Lard -- a few games to start the season on disciplinary issues

Jackson -- available for every game so far, but might need a grievance period now

Wigginton -- been there for every game

Long -- missed about a month with a concussion

Talley -- missed about a month and a half with a foot injury

Lewis -- missed a few games to start the season on disciplinary issues

Brase -- chronic knee and ankle issues, never really been healthy

Young -- knee issue, might be shutting it down for the year

Beverly -- been there the whole time

Looks like we are 2/10 on 100% availability depending on if Donovan needs a break.

Good info. Thanks. I couldn't keep track of it all. :(

That'd be a rough season in any context, for injury/suspensions, but even further hindered ability to establish any sort of reliable rotation, especially for a program that lost so much experience and impact from previous year.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
On a positive note, I'm going to be glad for what this team accomplished in its down year.

- Couple big wins over highly ranked teams
- Won the Puerto Rico Tournament
- Beat a bad UNI team (hey, they've given us fits)
- Beat a terrible Iowa team (bragging rights are bragging rights)

Too bad we couldn't have finished off Kansas at the Phog.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
On a positive note, I'm going to be glad for what this team accomplished in its down year.

It'd be nice to send the seniors out with a win in Hilton. OSU seems like a winnable game.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Good perspective.

Left a few games on the floor -- at KU, as you said; Texas at home, OSU on the road.

Another silver lining (or at least "gray lining"), only one loss to a team (Milwaukee) that isn't either a lock for NCAAT or at worst on the bubble.

Edit: Actually, two losses -- the other to Oklahoma State, which is now off-the-grid.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: JCloned and FLASH

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It's too bad the seniors have to go out on a season like this. Five years from now, I think this season really sticks out as an outlier to the norm. Sucks that Jackson, Beverly and Brase won't get the proper NCAA Tourney send-off.

It is but Jackson got to be a part of last year and the other 2 knew what they were getting into.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Expectations this year were low and we met them.

They teased us a few times, but it was for naught.

The cavalry is coming next year.

It will still be a bit rough at the beginning of the year next year. I would tap the breaks a bit.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It will still be a bit rough at the beginning of the year next year. I would tap the breaks a bit.

It might be tough with all the new faces, but at least they should have the benefit of having some experienced players on the floor - with NWB, LW, Lard, Solo and Talley they'll have five returners with significant playing time under their belts. Compare that to the near total lack of returning experience when this season started.

I do agree that it still might take some time for everything to gel next season but at least there will be some veteran leadership for the team to lean on in the early going.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
It is but Jackson got to be a part of last year and the other 2 knew what they were getting into.

Yep, for Brase and Beverly, knowing we would be rebuilding was probably attractive from a potential playing time standpoint.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lunardi just updated his bracketology for the past weekend...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

8/10 Big 12 teams in the dance.

#1 Kansas
#3 Texas Tech
#5 West Virginia
#6 Oklahoma
#9 TCU
#11 Kansas State
PIG #11 Baylor
PIG #12 Texas

...OSU and ISU out.

That hurts. Just a few more close games go our way and we do not "miss a layup" against UW-M, then we are easily on that final line instead of Baylor or Texas.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cyfan21