Iowa State Fair - Yay or Nay

Do you like/attend the Iowa State Fair

• Total voters

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
I used to work with a guy who took his vacation and went to the fair every day. He grew up in Des Moines so maybe that had something to do with it but I didn't understand it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There’s some positives.

Eye Candy everywhere so wear shades!
Great food!! Turkey legs!
Great beer garden with a lot of variety!
Good music and bands.
Kids love it and will sleep in the next day.
If I want to see a big girl sweating in a Garfield tank top I can just go to Denny Arthur's and save myself a ton of money.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I used to work with a guy who took his vacation and went to the fair every day. He grew up in Des Moines so maybe that had something to do with it but I didn't understand it.
I know several people who camp for the entire fair. It's almost impossible to get a spot because families pass their spots down to the next generation. I truly don't get it.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
“Our state fair is the best state fair” baby! Great memories.

KremitGreens

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
“Like but don’t attend” voters. Did you move away or what’s the story?

In Omaha so not that far. I think it’s great for the kids for one. You can go to the Iowa State Fair and at the end of the day have learned something new.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Trying to imagine camping for two weeks near where I grew up.

Nope.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
What’s not to like? Worlds best people watching, beer, and wild unhealthy food. I like. Maybe not every year, but when I go it’s enjoyable. Plus getting to see the Percherons or Clydesdales up close, pretty cool.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
With the annual Iowa State Fair approaching, what are your thoughts on it?

Personally, I dislike it and don't attend. Every 4-5 years I think we "should" go and then get disappointed that it's the same exact crap. When I was in 4H, it wasn't as bad, but I've seen animals before and the Varied Industries building is just a giant TV commercial.

What are your views?

...You could go visit your sister's photos! ;) We're going with Mom and Dad on Sunday, 8/14 for just a bit if you guys want to go.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
I can about guarantee the people who b!tch every single year about how everyone is so stupid for loving the fair and how it's a waste of money are the same people who b!tch about the We Will collective. Have a little fun and be fiscally irresponsible every now and then you Dutch b@stards.

ironsam

Nov 20, 2009
I can about guarantee the people who b!tch every single year about how everyone is so stupid for loving the fair and how it's a waste of money are the same people who b!tch about the We Will collective. Have a little fun and be fiscally irresponsible every now and then you Dutch b@stards.

Someone had to say it. Now eat those corn dogs with alacrity, tip your cap to the youthful farmers, and bust NIL cash all over your alma mater… you penny pinching, statistically tall, dike building wankers.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why do all fat ladies on scooters have yard sticks?
Saw kids in pull things that were like mini campers. Many women pushing strollers who felt having their hand extended way out on it and stretching as far away from it to talk to a friend while leaving maybe a foot to get around them was no big issue.

Help Support Us

Become a patron