NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
  • Agree
Reactions: 2020cy and Snydes

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Do they not know what Nordic skiing is? How is it on the list? Fishing? Wow, Just wow!

The "high-risk" activities seem like things where you have a higher potential of an injury needing trained medical attention like broken bones or torn ligaments. Things that can take place on campus are much easier to do immediate first aid and call an ambulance. Something like cross country skiing can take you more out in the middle of nowhere and the person responsible for doing the initial first aid isn't able to even see everybody all the time. A hockey player losing a finger to a skate blade is less of a risk to the school than a compound leg fracture on somebody laying out in the woods.

The fishing thing is strictly a boat issue and I can understand why ISU is a little afraid of boats. The one that seems odd to me is cycling. I would think that should be in the high risk category.

Is all this a lot of worry over unlikely events? Sure, but when you just had students die I can see being a little nervous.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I know of multiple concussions, ACL, MCL tears, broken leg, broken arm, fractured cheek bone in just the girls daughter has played with. So yes, I can see them saying high risk. Probably higher risk than nordic ski.
OMG. Seriously? I played the sport for over 40 years and never even came close to that experience...total. If you truly have experienced that, there are two things which are terribly wrong: 1. The officiating or 2. the training. So, in your case, you need to focus on better coaching and better officiating.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
OMG. Seriously? I played the sport for over 40 years and never even came close to that experience...total. If you truly have experienced that, there are two things which are terribly wrong: 1. The officiating or 2. the training. So, in your case, you need to focus on better coaching and better officiating.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA

Someone should probably inform the NFL (quickly) that CTE can be avoided with better officiating.

Reactions: VeloClone

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Yeah, instead of helping to invest in safety for sports clubs, the university is just proposing to cut a lot of them instead.

I get the simple reaction, but this is going to be a pretty significant cost savings to the university as well. Pretty shocked it hasn't happened sooner, but I expect more to be cut from the other High Risk category soon too.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I think that just means you don't have the speed and explosiveness to tear an ACL while changing directions.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think that just means you don't have the speed and explosiveness to tear an ACL while changing directions.
Geeez. The excuses never stop. I'll admit I wouldn't consider myself 'explosive', but Division I outside of college for 14 years tends to say I was doing something right. Maybe I just trained correctly, was coached correctly, was smart enough, or just plain lucky. I'll take the 'I was just smart enough not to put myself in those situations'. If I ever did get in a predicament it meant one thing: I had the ball too long. And that's an ego issue 90% of the time. Plenty of space on the pitch. Next!

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Someone should probably inform the NFL (quickly) that CTE can be avoided with better officiating.
You're confused. I'm talking about soccer. Football is a completely different matter of which I totally agree with you. That aside, if you show me a soccer player with CTE, I will definitely begin to reconsider.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Geeez. The excuses never stop. I'll admit I wouldn't consider myself 'explosive', but Division I outside of college for 14 years tends to say I was doing something right. Maybe I just trained correctly, was coached correctly, was smart enough, or just plain lucky. I'll take the 'I was just smart enough not to put myself in those situations'. If I ever did get in a predicament it meant one thing: I had the ball too long. And that's an ego issue 90% of the time. Plenty of space on the pitch. Next!
Well, the broken cheek bone happened away from the ball as did a couple of the ACL tears.

• Wow
Reactions: Cloneon

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
You're confused. I'm talking about soccer. Football is a completely different matter of which I totally agree with you. That aside, if you show me a soccer player with CTE, I will definitely begin to reconsider.

huh-confused.gif

It's true. I am easily confused when coaches instructing from the sideline and officials blowing whistles magically cause concussions, broken bones, and torn ligaments in athletes. Because I am not a warlock.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
With Iowa State having lower total enrollment, the university is looking to reduce expenses across the board. So it only makes sense to look to reduce the number of sports clubs due to the lower amount of student funds.

Looking at the list of activities the High Risk Not Supported seem to be activities that you have to travel off campus to participate in for both practice or competition or are actually high risk (rodeo). The high risk supported seem to be activities that have fields or facilities on campus to practice but travel off campus for competition and are 'larger team sports' requiring more transportation.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
If fishing is high risk, I am totally using that as a bar pickup line from here on out. Just tell all the girls " you know I fish right?" I am kind of a daredevil like that. Yeah yeah I also skydive, Paramotor, climb mountains, run ruck races, but fishing is the real risky stuff.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If fishing is high risk, I am totally using that as a bar pickup line from here on out. Just tell all the girls " you know I fish right?" I am kind of a daredevil like that. Yeah yeah I also skydive, Paramotor, climb mountains, run ruck races, but fishing is the real risky stuff.
This how I envision you fishing.

fishing-sassy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron