Iowa State Center Redevelopment: Power & Light 2.0???

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
If Norman, Oklahoma can do it... https://theoklahoma100.com/business...ion-develops-new-entertainment-district/12796

new-entertainment-district-propo.jpg

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
There are numerous conventions at Schemen, concerts at Hilton, shows at Stephens... and this could lure new events to those venues. There are also three huge dorm towers and a thriving Greek community within two blocks who would frequent businesses (if they're the correct businesses) often due to sheer proximity.
I think if there is a way to cover it and at least heat it somewhat for the winters it could be a good idea

Reactions: Haverhill

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Remember that events are held in other Iowa State Center buildings occasionally on game days. All-State music for example. That area in the OP photo is relatively new. There's been planning, including focus groups, for several years, and that green space is part of the overall plan. Plus, just a few years ago, voters in Ames turned down a proposal to build a hotel and expanded parking facility as part of Scheman. My biggest concerns then was a) lack of available parking when multiple events happened at the same time and b) where could people easily walk to from that hotel? When I go to conferences, I don't want to be confined to the onsite hotel restaurant for "nights on your own" and really, there aren't any within good walking distance able to handle large crowds and/or families.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Its tough to compare Norman and Lincoln to Ames population wise alone.
Norman is also a suburb in an overall huge metro region.

Yeah, but they're a lot closer to Bricktown in terms of competition too... and this development is nowhere near OU's campus where students live.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah, but they're a lot closer to Bricktown in terms of competition too... and this development is nowhere near OU's campus where students live.
If you want something to emulate, Aggieville in Manhattan would have been a good idea for Welch area.
I do agree that a couple restaurants (ie The Garage and Eskimo Joes at OSU) closer to the Jack and Hilton would be great but the idea of a Power & Light concept at the ISC will never happen.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The NU and OU developments are both off campus which is a huge difference from the ISC concept.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
They must have rendered a crowd for a concert since OU basketball doesn't draw nearly that many people...

• Funny
Reactions: Cycsk

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
One difference with some of these other comparisons (Norman, KC, Lincoln) is that the Iowa State Center isn't really in the center of anything. Sure, it's across the street from the Greek area and across the street from the university, but on two sides there aren't any homes, apartments, or businesses. Those other cities are bigger and already have existing infrastructure around the area that makes it more attractive for something like that. For it to happen at the Iowa State Center, basically the entire entertainment district would need to happen all at once to draw enough events and people to keep the restaurants and other businesses profitable. But then you're risking a huge failure and suddenly there's a bunch of storefronts that people don't want to fill.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't know where the floodplain is exactly, but it's probably not a non-issue in this discussion.
The entire Iowa State Center (including Jack Trice) is the floodplain. Originally Scheman was planned to be built on stilts like it is because of the threat of flooding with not much to be lost underneath the building. But they ended up finishing the lower part with offices and such negating the design intent.

• Useful
Reactions: beentherebefore

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
None of this will likely happen until Ames becomes more forward thinking with their planning/development.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I've heard rumors of discussions for a pavilion 2x P&L with a hotel and parking garage. What I heard was it's 50/50 whether it will happen.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I don't know where the floodplain is exactly, but it's probably not a non-issue in this discussion.
If you're at the top of the hill between Stephen's and Fisher, that's one thing. But the overall green space between the ISC, Hilton, and Scheman definitely poses flooding potential.
upload_2019-4-30_12-39-57.png

• Informative
Reactions: DurangoCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you're at the top of the hill between Stephen's and Fisher, that's one thing. But the overall green space between the ISC, Hilton, and Scheman definitely poses flooding potential.
View attachment 63963
I didn't exclude Stephens and Fisher because the basement of Stephens and the scene shop/costume shop/dressing rooms of Fisher are definitely in play as well as each building's mechanical.

• Informative
Reactions: JHUNSY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've heard rumors of discussions for a pavilion 2x P&L with a hotel and parking garage. What I heard was it's 50/50 whether it will happen.
I believe there was a tax based vote for a new convention center on the east side of Hilton not that long ago. It didnt pass.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I didn't exclude Stephens and Fisher because the basement of Stephens and the scene shop/costume shop/dressing rooms of Fisher are definitely in play as well as each building's mechanical.
Those are details I wasn't aware of. But, yeah, either way, I think you'd really have to consider the plain here if they indeed wanted to design the space for such functionality, whether elevated just between Fisher and Stephen's or throughout the ISC green space.

For those dreaming, maybe a food truck/bar cart court, or something along those lines, is more practical to build for the concept of an entertainment district here rather than building permanent improvements for restaurants or bars? Idk, I'm not an engineer, etc. so I'll leave that to the pros. (Not necessarily saying that'd be the best use for the area either).

Reactions: discydisc