Iowa State can stop traveling to rinky dink teams in minor cities now for away games

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm personally looking forward to having Cinci in the conference. Might be a fun little road trip.

Cincy looks like a blast. Cool stadium, and plenty of neat neighborhoods to party.

Not a "vacation" spot so to speak, but seems like a fun place to spend a Friday and Saturday and then cuss at yourself driving home Sunday.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Cincy looks like a blast. Cool stadium, and plenty of neat neighborhoods to party.

Not a "vacation" spot so to speak, but seems like a fun place to spend a Friday and Saturday and then cuss at yourself driving home Sunday.
Hotel prices are cheap too

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
We'll likely have a good destination road game coming up with UCF in Orlando. Fun for the kiddies.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Two things to consider:

1. Might it be in Arkansas State's best interest to get out of their contract with us? They could schedule two away games at more than $1 million each.

2. Teams with smaller stadiums and good fan bases won't be able to accommodate the ticket needs of huge influxes of ISU fans.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Two things to consider:

1. Might it be in Arkansas State's best interest to get out of their contract with us? They could schedule two away games at more than $1 million each.

2. Teams with smaller stadiums and good fan bases won't be able to accommodate the ticket needs of huge influxes of ISU fans.

your also assuming huge influxes of fans. Iowa State is chic now because there’s a buzz around the program.

There are a lot of moving parts that will need to perfectly align themselves, for that to continue 5 years from now.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Two things to consider:

I am skeptical that Iowa State fans taking over Las Vegas is meaningful for how many will go to Jonesboro, Arkansas, population 80,000. I don't remember seeing ISU fans completely overwhelm Akron or Toledo or Tulsa for the last few G5 road games we have played before UNLV.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I like your concept, but NOLA is a **** hole.

y1dY3C.gif

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Sure

but you are explaining why Iowa State has been, and continues to be, so far behind schools we went to consider peers, and a big part of why we are about to be relegated to a glorified g5 league.
Amen. It's mind-blowing to me that ISU doesn't require a donation for the vast majority of season ticket purchases. Most P5 schools have no more than 20% of their season tickets that don't require a donation.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Last time I road tripped to Boulder for a game was before most peeps on CF were born. LOL. Still a "fresh" memory cause it was a bit of an adventure right down to camping out in snow flurries. Oh, and we lost like we always did in Boulder.
you clearly aren't referring to the game in the snow of 2000. that was an awesome day in Folsom.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
If CyHawk is cancelled.. Vandy has openings starting in 2025

Can you imagine the caravans for a 10 hour drive to Nashville?? Country music, beer and ISU football. It's a match made in heaven
K-State showed up huge and I know we absolutely wood...I'd love that

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I am skeptical that Iowa State fans taking over Las Vegas is meaningful for how many will go to Jonesboro, Arkansas, population 80,000. I don't remember seeing ISU fans completely overwhelm Akron or Toledo or Tulsa for the last few G5 road games we have played before UNLV.
We won't, Vegas is one thing, but Akron, or Tulsa will not draw 10's of thousands of fans to make those trips. Orlando will draw a good crowd, Cincy decent and that might be it.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Okay so this is telling me KSU and TCU can make it work to only go on the road to a G5 once in 10 years while we are going like every other year? How is that? If we were talking big budget UT or OU I would get it, but KSU and TCU are not in a different budget tier than we are.
K-State doesn't have an out of conference rival like we do...so they schedule usually one FCS (home) a G5 (usually home:home), and a P5 (home:home)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
We won't, Vegas is one thing, but Akron, or Tulsa will not draw 10's of thousands of fans to make those trips. Orlando will draw a good crowd, Cincy decent and that might be it.

I could also see ISU fans heading to Houston at about the same clip as Cincinnati. Orlando will definitely be the big destination of the new schools. Houston and Cincinnati interest me more than most of the current Big 12 cities. So does a weekend in Salt Lake City.