***Iowa State at Iowa***

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I have not given any thoughts to this game except being irritated its on subscription only BTEN plus TV. Thoughts, insights, predictions? Seeing that Iowa's defense stifled mutual foe UNI seems to show the Lady Hawkettes are picking up where they left off from last year. At 6-3 are they beatable by our women at Carver?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Didn't we almost beat #6 Miss State yesterday? I would think ISU would be the favorite to win this one. Against Notre Dame, Iowa started 2 sophomores and 2 freshmen in addition to Disterhoft - we are much more experienced.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'll take the ladies, good road test but, they looked pretty good against Mississippi State. I'm going for the continued improvement. Hope Heather is back the rumor in the stands was she was getting evaluated Mon. Also for no other reason BEAT the Hawks!

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Didn't we almost beat #6 Miss State yesterday? I would think ISU would be the favorite to win this one. Against Notre Dame, Iowa started 2 sophomores and 2 freshmen in addition to Disterhoft - we are much more experienced.
Iowa was within 5 of top ranked notre dame with under 5 left in the game. They just crushed uni by 50, with their other two losses coming to ranked opponents.

ISU has mbb, Iowa has wbb.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Iowa was within 5 of top ranked notre dame with under 5 left in the game. They just crushed uni by 50, with their other two losses coming to ranked opponents.

ISU has mbb, Iowa has wbb.

I believe the all- time series is close to .500, maybe 24-22 in favor of Iowa. The series has basically been back and forth for the past few years, with the Cyclones holding a slight advantage of number of wins in the past 10-12 years. So it doesn't appear that Iowa "has" anything in regards to women's basketball?

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
However, as Rulzzz stated, the Clones have not done well in Iowa City. Hope for a good game! Go Cyclones!

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It is tough to go play in Iowa City when you are playing in a facility that is maybe 25% filled. I have attended a couple games there and it is sad. Both times we had almost as many fans that traveled as they had from locals. If we play like we have the last few games (except we can not start out like we did against UNO) we can beat them but we have to play 4 qtrs of basketball. GO STATE!!

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Ok Cedar Rapids area Cyclone fans, let's see you show up in force Wednesday night!!! Go Clone ladies!!!

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It is tough to go play in Iowa City when you are playing in a facility that is maybe 25% filled.
No doubt it's tough for us, but it shouldn't be. Even Ball State beat them at Carver Hawkeye - in the WNIT last year. All of 2,000 fans were there.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
  • Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I believe the all- time series is close to .500, maybe 24-22 in favor of Iowa. The series has basically been back and forth for the past few years, with the Cyclones holding a slight advantage of number of wins in the past 10-12 years. So it doesn't appear that Iowa "has" anything in regards to women's basketball?

However, as Rulzzz stated, the Clones have not done well in Iowa City. Hope for a good game! Go Cyclones!

It's pretty much been (with a couple of exceptions) that Hawks win in IC and Cyclones win it in Ames. Even some of our good teams have bombed in IC. We have serious post issues (still). Choice of an undersized post relying on hustle or an inconsistent foul prone soph (really a 4, not a 5) who offers more offense but appears to play bad defense. I really want both the WBB and MBB wins in IC for CyHawk points. Going to lose bad in wrestling (duh) and likely lose in swimming and tennis (pretty much each year). Those are about as automatic for the Hawks as cross country and volleyball are for us.

Disappointing that this is only on Plus, thought I would be able to watch on BTN. Until @StClone posted this thread I was still thinking it was on regular BTN. Boo this news! Wish there was a one game option since I am not going to mess with some ******* one month auto renewal BS that I am going to have to rely on cancelling to stop.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Hoping recent history is not a factor this year. But, for some reason, we have played very poorly over there in recent years, even when we had good solid teams. It's a mystery.

Our bigs have to counter Gustavson. She will be a factor if we don't account for her. We also have to step up on defense, ala MSU, and rebound the bejeezes out of the basketball. Matador defense will get us killed over there. Good thing is, they don't have Samantha Logic any longer. She was a terrific player. Disterhoft is good. But she's no Logic.

Iowa moves the ball really well. Not much dribbling and good passing. Their offense is much different than ours and is, I have to admit, fun to watch. They are a good ball club and it will take an MSU like effort to win in that fishbowl. JMO.

On a side note: Jadda Buckley (ISU) and Mackenzie Meyer (UI) were high school team mates at Mason City for one year, I think. Jadda was a senior when Mackenzie was a freshman, as I recall. We know about Jadda, of course. Mackenzie has started 5 games over there and has done real well so far.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It's pretty much been (with a couple of exceptions) that Hawks win in IC and Cyclones win it in Ames. Even some of our good teams have bombed in IC. We have serious post issues (still). Choice of an undersized post relying on hustle or an inconsistent foul prone soph (really a 4, not a 5) who offers more offense but appears to play bad defense. I really want both the WBB and MBB wins in IC for CyHawk points. Going to lose bad in wrestling (duh) and likely lose in swimming and tennis (pretty much each year). Those are about as automatic for the Hawks as cross country and volleyball are for us.

Disappointing that this is only on Plus, thought I would be able to watch on BTN. Until @StClone posted this thread I was still thinking it was on regular BTN. Boo this news! Wish there was a one game option since I am not going to mess with some ******* one month auto renewal BS that I am going to have to rely on cancelling to stop.

I worry less about size "height" in the post than I used to. I actually think tall and/or long arm guards are a bigger deal than bigger posts now days. I've seen a lot of 6 7s and 6 8s fairly neutralized by good fronting defense.

Agree, Mere needs to learn to get more "foul" savvy.

Ironically, Iowa starts 5 players that all had ISU offers.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
[QUOTE="runbikeswim, post: 5475019, member: 30420

Ironically, Iowa starts 5 players that all had ISU offers.[/QUOTE]

That's an amazing piece of info

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have not given any thoughts to this game except being irritated its on subscription only BTEN plus TV.

What does this even mean? Will a typical sports bar outside the region that has BTN have this game easily? BTN may mean a fat check but it also means nobody can see your games, except for this relegated game we might have like two left all season that aren't on national ESPN networks.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I worry less about size "height" in the post than I used to. I actually think tall and/or long arm guards are a bigger deal than bigger posts now days. I've seen a lot of 6 7s and 6 8s fairly neutralized by good fronting defense.

Agree, Mere needs to learn to get more "foul" savvy.

NM, didn't realize this was wbb thread.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What does this even mean? Will a typical sports bar outside the region that has BTN have this game easily?

The game isn't on TV. It's on BTN+, which is a paid streaming service. The BTN2Go app will also be worthless.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
[QUOTE="runbikeswim, post: 5475019, member: 30420

That's an amazing piece of info[/QUOTE]

I do not believe Meyer ever had an ISU offer - she committed very young and do not think ISU had seen enough to offer at that point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron