Iowa State at Iowa predictions.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Can't believe all the Iowa predictions. Most hawk fans that pay attention understand the following:
- Iowa returned everybody and just had to plug in Wieskamp. This is a very veteran team that had little to adjust. That means they better make hay early in the year when almost every other team is still trying to figure out roles, rotations, etc. Yes, Wieskamp changes things, but pretty much (should) just be taking minutes from guys that aren't very good. So while other teams are making big improvements each week, for the most part Iowa is what it is.
- They were hanging their hat on the Oregon win, which has clearly turned out to not be a very impressive win. They aren't a good team right now, and that was a pure name/new talent ranking. They may end up being pretty good - talent suggests it, but they're not a good team right now.
- Yes Pitt's better than last year, but they were the worst power conference team in the country. They just got beat by Niagra, so there's that.
- UConn is a decent win, but not great. They are not great from 3, so the pack it in and take your chances zone approach worked against them.
- Combine that with a deflating home loss to UW with a drubbing at MSU, with ISU and Purdue coming up, it's a good chance the wheels are falling off the wagon.

ISU 76, Iowa 69 - Iowa goes pack and pray zone, ISU falls in love with the three too much, but adjusts in the 2nd half to get a nice road win.

• Disagree
Reactions: CywinLannister

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That was one of Solo's first games right? IIRC he missed the first month or so with a wrist injury?
I believe so. I can’t remember if that was his first game back or if he was back the one before.

Edit: looks like he missed that tourney over thanksgiving and maybe another game after it. Played in the Omaha game right before Iowa.

Reactions: heitclone

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I think we will go with our starting lineup from the past few games. Switch everything on the perimeter, and double down when the ball gets entered into Garza. He hasn't seen many double teams in the post with JB etc on the perimeter. However, when we double with four small we are much quicker to the perimeter than the past few years.
Doubling down on the post seems like playing with fire and leads to too many wide open 3’s. Don’t want to give them a chance to get hot from the outside.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
We are without a doubt the better team here, and if this was a regular conference game or something of that level I wouldn't feel too bad about picking a 15 point win. That being said, this is the singular game Fran seems to be able to get his guys up for, and combine that with us being a young team going into our first true road game, things could get a little dicey. Gonna say Cyclones by 6.

TyCloneHoops

Dec 10, 2017
I don't really care what the score is, I think we come out with a win, but I do think this is going to be a major statement game as to how much fun these guys have and how well they play together. I've never seen an ISU team play this selflessly and have so much confidence in each other. & **** Iowa.

SilverBack

Oct 4, 2018
Iowa is really going to struggle to defend us. That being said, it's their Super Bowl and all these Iowa kids we didn't want will have a chip on their shoulder and play out of their minds.

Iowa - 72
ISU - 67

You literally spend your whole existence putting down Iowa and yet you pick them to beat Iowa State every time you're posed the question.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The thing I've seen with Iowa's zone: UW and MSU were still able to drive and dish through it.

I think Iowa will be busier tomorrow night, but playing a certain kind of defense and actually being able to play defense are different.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I honestly don't see Iowa State doubling the post much. They haven't really doubled the post this year so I don't see them all of a sudden doing it this game.

I seem to recall quite a bit of doubling the post in Maui. Will be a good test of post defense as Iowa has 2 players who may require it down low. If not, Jacobson could get into early foul trouble. Either way, Lard will be relied on to play more minutes.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Hostile environment? I wish people would quit with this nonsense. THT played in environments more hostile than CHA in High School.

I don't know about that......... last time I was at Carver the crowd started throwing their dentures out on the floor after a bad call by the officials.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I seem to recall quite a bit of doubling the post in Maui. Will be a good test of post defense as Iowa has 2 players who may require it down low. If not, Jacobson could get into early foul trouble. Either way, Lard will be relied on to play more minutes.

I don't consider a dig a true double which is what they've been doing a lot this season.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
I get the "first true road game for freshman" argument, but I'm thinking some of these guy i.e. THT probably played in more hostile environments in Chicago City league then Carver.
Not to mention the rest of the team is guys who've played in big road games before: NWB, Jacobson, Shayok, Lard, Talley. CHA isn't that intimidating of a place to play, even in this game. Not sure why people think the "hostile" environment will be that big of a factor.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I honestly don't see Iowa State doubling the post much. They haven't really doubled the post this year so I don't see them all of a sudden doing it this game.
Take a look back at the Texas southern game and the Arizona game. Really the only post presence we have faced this year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Can't believe all the Iowa predictions. Most hawk fans that pay attention understand the following:
- Iowa returned everybody and just had to plug in Wieskamp. This is a very veteran team that had little to adjust. That means they better make hay early in the year when almost every other team is still trying to figure out roles, rotations, etc. Yes, Wieskamp changes things, but pretty much (should) just be taking minutes from guys that aren't very good. So while other teams are making big improvements each week, for the most part Iowa is what it is.
- They were hanging their hat on the Oregon win, which has clearly turned out to not be a very impressive win. They aren't a good team right now, and that was a pure name/new talent ranking. They may end up being pretty good - talent suggests it, but they're not a good team right now.
- Yes Pitt's better than last year, but they were the worst power conference team in the country. They just got beat by Niagra, so there's that.
- UConn is a decent win, but not great. They are not great from 3, so the pack it in and take your chances zone approach worked against them.
- Combine that with a deflating home loss to UW with a drubbing at MSU, with ISU and Purdue coming up, it's a good chance the wheels are falling off the wagon.

ISU 76, Iowa 69 - Iowa goes pack and pray zone, ISU falls in love with the three too much, but adjusts in the 2nd half to get a nice road win.

Honestly. my biggest takeaway from the Oregon and Uconn games was that apparently neither team has ever scene a zone defense.

At this point the book is out on how you attack Iowa's man D and how you attack their zone. Iowa has been exposed an any team with decent guard play should carve them up.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If I had to put some percentages to it, I think it would be something like this

Iowa wins by more than 20: 1%
Iowa wins by 16-20: 3%
Iowa wins by 11-15: 5%
Iowa wins by 5-10: 9%
Iowa wins by 0-4: 16%
ISU wins by 0-4: 21%
ISU wins by 5-10: 12%
ISU wins by 11-15: 8%
ISU wins by 16-20: 5%
ISU wins by more than 20: 3%

Exactly how much time do you have on your hands? (He asks as he posts from work)

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Take a look back at the Texas southern game and the Arizona game. Really the only post presence we have faced this year.

They've been applying secondary pressure to the post but it hasn't been through doubling. They've been digging like crazy though.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
75-70 Iowa State.

I swear if we lose to this Iowa team. If we the Clones pull this off I feel like this will tilt Iowa in a downward spiral for the rest of the season. Three straight losses for them would be a disaster.

• Disagree
Reactions: CywinLannister