Iowa State at Iowa predictions.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is hard to predict a score because you just don'e know how all the new guys are going to react to a real road game. Jacobson is the only Iowan, so the fact that it is at Iowa might not effect the team a lot. There is only 1 starter from last year playing, so the team might go it there with the "it's just another gym" attitude. I like the way ISU runs the floor and moves defensively. Prohm probably will not do it, but I would start the game by pressing Iowa to see how well they handle the pressure. Not a lot of great ball handlers on that team, and several turnovers to easy baskets would take the crowd out of the game in a hurry. The one thing that I see a lot is ISU leaving guys open on the wing when they double team the post. So far they have not been burned too badly for this, but if someone gets hot it could be an issue. THT is capable of giving teams fits, but needs to make better choices at times. ISU's length will bother Iowa in the passing lanes.

I like ISU 78-71

• Disagree
Reactions: CywinLannister

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I predict:

-JorBo will be closely guarded, so he will launch (and make) a 3pt shot from about 30 feet out and CHA will erupt in a loud murmur.
-Nic Baer will get barely grazed while making a simple layup, a foul will be called, and Nick will go into some weird/intense flexing. The Hok bench will have to hold each other back.
-Luka Garza will be beat down the floor and burned for scores at least 3 times.
-Luka Garza will start clapping and yelling on defense after making a simple putback on the other end.
-Halliburton and THT will finish the game with 4 and 3 steals, respectively.
-Shayok will score 20 points, but also have 3 turnovers (all of them losing the ball while dribbling into traffic)
-Maishe Dailey tries to prove Dolph wrong by dribbling with his head up and loses the ball.
-Mad Fran will finish with the following line: 1 technical, 6 players yelled at, 2 officials berated, every player used, all timeouts left, Francon 3.5.
-Refs stop play for what looks like someone looking for a contact lens only to find out that Cook's eye fell out after bugging out so hard after a dunk.
-Weiskamp will show up in a wheelchair, but still be in the lineup and get significant minutes.
-Isaiah Moss will wear a shirt with only one sleeve. Gotta keep that finishing arm ready.
-The football team will show up to watch the game and Nate Stanley will single-handedly eat the entire allotment of free pizza.
-Hok fans will see Jacobson and wonder all game why a white guy from the state of Iowa chose ISU over them.
-Dolph will make sure to unplug his mic, put it inside a box, and have a team assistant carry it to the other end of the building before fawning over our freshmen.
FIFY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I predict:

-JorBo will be closely guarded, so he will launch (and make) a 3pt shot from about 30 feet out and CHA will erupt in a loud murmur.
-Nic Baer will get barely grazed while making a simple layup, a foul will be called, and Nick will go into some weird/intense flexing. The Hok bench will have to hold each other back.
-Luka Garza will start clapping and yelling on defense after making a simple putback on the other end.
-Shayok will score 20 points, but also have 3 turnovers (all of them losing the ball while dribbling into traffic)
-Maishe Dailey tries to prove Dolph wrong by dribbling with his head up and loses the ball.
-Mad Fran will finish with the following line: 1 technical, 6 players yelled at, 2 officials berated, every player used, all timeouts left, Francon 3.5.
-Refs stop play for what looks like someone looking for a contact lens only to find out that Cook's eye fell out after bugging out so hard after a dunk.
-Weiskamp will show up in a wheelchair, but still be in the lineup and get significant minutes.
-Isaiah Moss will wear a shirt with only one sleeve. Gotta keep that finishing arm ready.
-The football team will show up to watch the game and Nate Stanley will take up a whole section.
-Hok fans will see Jacobson and wonder all game why a white guy from the state of Iowa chose ISU over them.
-Dolph will make sure to unplug his mic, put it inside a box, and have a team assistant carry it to the other end of the building before fawning over our freshmen.

Thanks for playing, everyone, but I think we have a winner.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
I predict:

-The football team will show up to watch the game and Nate Stanley will take up a whole section.

Most accurate post ever on this site, well done.

• Friendly
Reactions: GTO

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
...There is only 1 starter from last year playing, so the team might go it there with the "it's just another gym" attitude. ...

I remember when Jim Zabel asked Bobby Knight what he thought of the "newly built" Carver Hawkeye arena and his answer was something like "Looks like any other arena we play in." It pissed off Zabel and the Hawkeye faithful.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU's team two years ago was better than this year's team.
Iowa's team two years ago was worse than this year's team.
ISU got whooped by Iowa two years ago. I kind of expect the same this year.

Iowa 71
ISU 65

I agree with the score but despite the individual talent of 4/5 starters from ISU two seasons ago, I like this team better all over.

I think Iowa hits the shots they haven't been and vice versa for ISU though.
Don't really care so long as ISU wins the rest of the way to conference play. A win would be great too, just not counting on it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The 2016-2017 debacle is n the past. We had a group of seniors that thought they were going to walk into Carver and just win the game and I don't see that entitled attitude with this years squad.

IMO we just need to weather the early intensity by Fran's spiders because you know they will be flying around. Go out on a 10-0 or 12-2 type run and Fran will take care of the rest.

In all seriousness though, I really think it boils down to how we attack their zone. If we just stand back and jack three's there is a great chance that we will lose. If we attack the middle of the zone and the baseline we could absolutely run Iowa out of their own gym. Give me Iowa State 82 and Iowa 70.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If I had to put some percentages to it, I think it would be something like this

Iowa wins by more than 20: 1%
Iowa wins by 16-20: 3%
Iowa wins by 11-15: 5%
Iowa wins by 5-10: 9%
Iowa wins by 0-4: 16%
ISU wins by 0-4: 21%
ISU wins by 5-10: 12%
ISU wins by 11-15: 8%
ISU wins by 16-20: 5%
ISU wins by more than 20: 3%

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
They have, but in most cases, it more of shade to the post and maybe dig at the ball when it's exposed (we have a few steals from doing that).

Right. They aren't really doubling, they're just digging aggressively which has been a great change from previous seasons.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
93 -45 ISU

vauEUgn.gif

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That team had 3 NBA guys and Matt Thomas
To be fair this team probably has 3 NBA guys on it too at least. Also, I like this years front court a lot better. 2 years ago we had to roll into Iowa City with Merril Holden, Darrell Bowie, and a very young Solomon Young.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
To be fair this team probably has 3 NBA guys on it too at least. Also, I like this years front court a lot better. 2 years ago we had to roll into Iowa City with Merril Holden, Darrell Bowie, and a very young Solomon Young.

That was one of Solo's first games right? IIRC he missed the first month or so with a wrist injury?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron