• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
We have a lot of federal, state and local laws that effectively can't really be enforced and where hiding breaking the law is easier than hiding that one isn't wearing a mask.

There's a big difference between can't be enforced federally and can't be enforced anywhere. Very obvious that individual homes and many businesses can definitely 100% enforce a mask policy. Local institutions like schools a little trickier but still possible to nearly universally institute. Gets harder each step from city to state to federal to international.

Distancing policies are actually a lot harder to enforce than mask. Mask is binary. It's on or it's off. Distancing is subjective.

Crystal clear leadership from the start without mandate laws would have been the easiest thing in the world. The least we could do but somehow it was spotty across the nation.

I guess you haven't seen how many wear the masks.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I guess you haven't seen how many wear the masks.

I have but it's enforceable in small areas if you want to enforce it.

A guy came to fix something at my house and wore his mask like a moron. I enforced it for him. Wear the mask or get out and I hire someone else. Not completely lock tight but a far cry from "nothin you can do".

Small businesses and homes can enforce it very much like I just illustrated. Schools and large companies somewhat less but still can clearly do something. City gov somewhat less. State somewhat less. Federal a lot less. International almost no way.

We'd need to dump a quarter of our laws if we only wanted to keep the easy to enforce laws. Some laws exist for the values of society rather than how realistic they are to enforce.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
For people who said that the change wouldn’t have been due to the Story County Board of Health because they have no legal authority. This shows they don’t give a crap what legal authority they have. This move is clearly not in their legal authority. My guess they threatened to make a bigger stink about it and Iowa State didn’t want to have the PR of pushing the number and fighting with the Board of Health.

I agree that this seems a bit much:

... If you don't wear a mask in these places a fine is recommended. The first time you will receive a fine for a simple misdemeanor of $65. The times after could be a maximum fine for a misdemeanor $625.

"At the end of the day, we have to do what's responsible for our neighbors," said John Carter, an Iowa State University graduate student. "If people aren't going to do the altruistic thing as this has proven, then there should be something that kind of leverages it."

"That's just ridiculous in my book," said Cole Nelson, an Ames resident. "Trying to give people a criminal record over something like this. I can't even fathom that."

The Story County Board of Health chairman said this would not include jail time. ...
So they are not going to put you in jail.

I think I read that the penalty in Iowa City for not wearing a mask is that the police officer would give you one.

Reactions: Acylum

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
We have a lot of federal, state and local laws that effectively can't really be enforced and where hiding breaking the law is easier than hiding that one isn't wearing a mask.

There's a big difference between can't be enforced federally and can't be enforced anywhere. Very obvious that individual homes and many businesses can definitely 100% enforce a mask policy. Local institutions like schools a little trickier but still possible to nearly universally institute. Gets harder each step from city to state to federal to international.

Distancing policies are actually a lot harder to enforce than mask. Mask is binary. It's on or it's off. Distancing is subjective.

Crystal clear leadership from the start without mandate laws would have been the easiest thing in the world. The least we could do but somehow it was spotty across the nation.

Easier said than done. We all know people who will never wear a mask or will only wear one if a certain store requires it to enter. I have seen people in said stores move their mask down as soon as they go in. many of these stores hire kids and kids aren't going to enforce it against people.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Easier said than done. We all know people who will never wear a mask or will only wear one if a certain store requires it to enter. I have seen people in said stores move their mask down as soon as they go in. many of these stores hire kids and kids aren't going to enforce it against people.

I'd compare it to some of our minor traffic laws, something like staying in the immediate lane on a turn where a majority of drivers knowingly or unknowingly break the law. It's rarely strictly enforced. The law still exist for the reason of safety and increasing the freedoms of everybody to go where they want to go safely, not because of some sort of oppression against drivers. It's better than nothing and better than if our leaders mocked people for obeying minor traffic laws.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Why didn't they go with three 2 game packs? 10,000 fans would be safe, and I would have been thrilled with any 2 games. Win, Win, Win.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Why didn't they go with three 2 game packs? 10,000 fans would be safe, and I would have been thrilled with any 2 games. Win, Win, Win.
I agree that that in an interesting idea. But I would put a lot of doubt on there realistically ever being fans at the first game.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Of course that is hindsight. You should listen to the podcast if you haven’t.

Things were changing all the time day to day. There was a plan in development, and in place already approved of by both the AD and university administration — that was publicly announced — and then reversed two days later.

I am not privy to what was said during those two days. But a lot of work went into that plan over a period of time. I doubt that they could have turned things around on a dime with a new plan during those two days.

Anyone outside of whoever was involved here would not have thought changes were even being considered at that point. You wouldn’t have even known to call them up with your suggestion. :)

Reactions: bozclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Of course that is hindsight. You should listen to the podcast if you haven’t.

Things were changing all the time day to day. There was a plan in development, and in place already approved of by both the AD and university administration — that was publicly announced — and then reversed two days later.

I am not privy to what was said during those two days. But a lot of work went into that plan over a period of time. I doubt that they could have turned things around on a dime with a new plan during those two days.

Anyone outside of whoever was involved here would not have thought changes were even being considered at that point. You wouldn’t have even known to call them up with your suggestion. :)
Not hindsight at all. I have thought that from the time the cap on season ticket sales was stopped at 30,000. Mini packs for all season ticket holders to go to a few games made the most sense from jump.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Not hindsight at all. I have thought that from the time the cap on season ticket sales was stopped at 30,000. Mini packs for all season ticket holders to go to a few games made the most sense from jump.
Well you should have said something. Maybe you did.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I think this article is relevant to the whole football discussion, and basketball too: