• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
View attachment 75276

Seems hospitals aren't too overloaded. This is today's Iowa date, same pretty much everywhere.

I think part of the chaos is the unknowns (obviously beside 190K dead in 6 months). With the flu, obviously 15-25K deaths in 12 months pales in comparison to 190K COVID deaths in 6 months, but you also know that almost everybody that doesn't die of the flu is perfectly healthy going forward. With COVID, there are all sorts of indications a large percentage of those that recover have some form of long-term impact - either lungs, heart, or other.

I've said since day one on this - it's not the end of the world, but it's also far worse than the flu. There is a reason health experts are terrified about what the winter could look like, especially if people continue to let down their guard as pandemic fatigue wears on.

Reactions: jsb

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
That was last week. One of the fastest declining cases this week as predicted by many.

The decline was easy to predict because the data is flawed. Short version is antigen tests dumped into database on one day. News outlets ran with big number without asking why. Even Dr. Birx was fooled. If you read to the bottom of the NY Times article, the cause was mentioned but if it bleeds it leads.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yes, which is why the ISU 25,000 fans is/was such a reach. There will be no outcry in Louisiana with this plan despite having a COVID case per million nearly 30% higher than Iowa and a COVID death rate 3 times the rate in Iowa.

Simply put, ISU overreached and paid the price.

All that and they LOOOOOVE their FB down south.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
The optics of playing when the pandemic numbers are pretty rough was....um... problematic?

Press showing things like this has to fire up some heat under certain seats I would imagine.

These graphs are meaningless. First, the PCR tests can be positive for 12 weeks. A person is only contagious for 6 days. Second, you cannot tell if the virus is spreading in a team/school/community unless you establish a baseline and repeat the testing. The football team is doing just that; testing weekly (now 3x/week). Pollard reported that .49% positive testing (1 athlete/2 managers).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
These graphs are meaningless. First, the PCR tests can be positive for 12 weeks. A person is only contagious for 6 days. Second, you cannot tell if the virus is spreading in a team/school/community unless you establish a baseline and repeat the testing. The football team is doing just that; testing weekly (now 3x/week). Pollard reported that .49% positive testing (1 athlete/2 managers).

Link?

Many people...like, about everybody, wants to know.

Reactions: Cyclad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
CDC good enough for you? Look at #3 on https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html

Since you are questioning my post, read that same page about the 3 month positive testing and not spreading the virus.

Actually, no, the CDC isn't good enough. It should be.

This is the same group that at one point said there's no need to get tested if there's no symptoms, but on the same page said to keep in mind that Covid can spread without symptoms.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Actually, no, the CDC isn't good enough. It should be.

This is the same group that at one point said there's no need to get tested if there's no symptoms, but on the same page said to keep in mind that Covid can spread without symptoms.

As of 9/2, that is still the CDC recommendation. Talk about screwing up the data. It does explain why ISU is now testing just symptomatic people. The scientific method for gathering positive case numbers does not exist. Hospitalizations is now the best indicator of how the community is doing.

Reactions: Burdette

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
There's more states than just Iowa.
I know if the "world wide hot spot" has plenty of hospital space, imagine how much excess capacity the rest the country has. Some local areas like NY, Miami, and Houston got close but no one exceeded their capacity. There was also always excess capacity nearby. Hospital capacity alone is a losing argument for any pitching it.

Reactions: pdxclone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
For people who said that the change wouldn’t have been due to the Story County Board of Health because they have no legal authority. This shows they don’t give a crap what legal authority they have. This move is clearly not in their legal authority. My guess they threatened to make a bigger stink about it and Iowa State didn’t want to have the PR of pushing the number and fighting with the Board of Health.

Reactions: ArgentCy

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
For people who said that the change wouldn’t have been due to the Story County Board of Health because they have no legal authority. This shows they don’t give a crap what legal authority they have. This move is clearly not in their legal authority. My guess they threatened to make a bigger stink about it and Iowa State didn’t want to have the PR of pushing the number and fighting with the Board of Health.

I approve of mask mandates.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Ok I guess I’m not sure why that matters. Bipartisan legal consensus is that local governments can’t enforce them without the governor giving the ok. Whether that should be the case is probably a different question.
It must not be as much of a consensus as you think considering almost a dozen cities have passed mask mandates so far.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows and Cy$

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

The article states the county board of supervisors has the authority to enforce the mandate. The board of health voted to send their recommendation to the board of supervisors.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

None of the mask mandates have any legal standing either. Just more sternly worded recommendations. Unless some state has actually passed a law but that has not happened to my knowledge.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Ok I guess I’m not sure why that matters. Bipartisan legal consensus is that local governments can’t enforce them without the governor giving the ok. Whether that should be the case is probably a different question.

Even Biden just gave up on a national mask mandate because it can't be enforced.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Even Biden just gave up on a national mask mandate because it can't be enforced.

We have a lot of federal, state and local laws that effectively can't really be enforced and where hiding breaking the law is easier than hiding that one isn't wearing a mask.

There's a big difference between can't be enforced federally and can't be enforced anywhere. Very obvious that individual homes and many businesses can definitely 100% enforce a mask policy. Local institutions like schools a little trickier but still possible to nearly universally institute. Gets harder each step from city to state to federal to international.

Distancing policies are actually a lot harder to enforce than mask. Mask is binary. It's on or it's off. Distancing is subjective.

Crystal clear leadership from the start without mandate laws would have been the easiest thing in the world. The least we could do but somehow it was spotty across the nation.

Reactions: Cyclad