ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You don't own up to an error within 2 days of announcing it, it never should have been announced then. Nothing has changed in Iowa outside of some politically driven negative newspaper articles. Cases are down every day since it was announced.

It just is. Anyone want to put the over/under on number of calls Winterstein received from mad academics and politicians? I'd say at least 20 calls and a whole bunch more messages.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
A big heartfelt thanks to all of the under 30 crowd who just didn't give a damn about following the guidance and did their best to superspread this all over story county. You selfish entitled pricks just had to get together, in close proximity at the bars and parties, breath all over each other, drinking your IPA, showing off your new tats and piercings and sharing the virus. Masks be damned! Thanks you filthy animals, I hope you all flunk out!

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
So now we'll have fans across the State gathering together to watch the games at each other's residences. Quite frankly from a scientific standpoint I bet we would have kept cases down more by keeping people outside, at the game and in masks.

I would like to hear more about this theory. You know, from a scientific standpoint.

Reactions: Althetuna

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
curious why other states—red states too—didn’t open at 40% capacity. If it is so obvious 40% is the same as 25%, why were we the only ones?

Because Jamie, being the very good bean counter, was looking at ticket sales (a number and not even a % capacity) while everyone else was just trying to find a number they could all use to hide behind (ie conform).

• Winner
Reactions: Closed Casket

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
A big heartfelt thanks to all of the under 30 crowd who just didn't give a damn about following the guidance and did their best to superspread this all over story county. You just had to get together, in close proximity at the bars and parties, breath all over each other, drinking your IPA, showing off your new tats and sharing the virus. Masks be damned! Thanks you filthy animals, I hope you all flunk out!

I doubt they were drinking IPAs.

• Funny
Reactions: psychlone99

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
A big heartfelt thanks to all of the under 30 crowd who just didn't give a damn about following the guidance and did their best to superspread this all over story county. You just had to get together, in close proximity at the bars and parties, breath all over each other, drinking your IPA, showing off your new tats and sharing the virus. Masks be damned! Thanks you filthy animals, I hope you all flunk out!

I love this rant. It reminds me of the movie Baseketball.

• Funny
Reactions: dunar

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Lol. Again, this is not even a real outbreak. It was a change in reporting... Ok I'm tired of repeating myself, back to work.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
The Big 10 is dumb for not admitting their mistake because they didn’t get the expected reaction. It was entitled to think people would follow them in cancelling but it was semi reasonable.

Iowa State got the expected reaction. If they weren’t expecting the reaction they got then that is a different problem altogether.

So the two options are they are weak leaders by being unable to with stand any pressure or they are so incompetent they didn’t expect the reaction they got. I think it is the former based on what Jamie said.

Withstand pressure from who? There is going to be pressure from either side no matter what decision is made, not everyone can be happy. So what about the pressure now from local businesses, hotels, etc. that will be losing out of thousands of dollars without fans in Ames? You think they aren't upset too? Saying she reversed course because she couldn't handle the "pressure" is looking at this from one side.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Even just looking at the seating chart this idea seemed like a nightmare, there were so many seats filled near others, 1 seat separating groups, there was no way.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
So now we'll have fans across the State gathering together to watch the games at each other's residences. Quite frankly from a scientific standpoint I bet we would have kept cases down more by keeping people outside, at the game and in masks.

You prove why a lot of fans are too stupid to be trusted to properly mask up and social distance.

• Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: Cy$ and jcisuclones

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The Big 10 is dumb for not admitting their mistake because they didn’t get the expected reaction. It was entitled to think people would follow them in cancelling but it was semi reasonable.

Iowa State got the expected reaction. If they weren’t expecting the reaction they got then that is a different problem altogether.

So the two options are they are weak leaders by being unable to with stand any pressure or they are so incompetent they didn’t expect the reaction they got. I think it is the former based on what Jamie said.
Option 3: They 'intended' on fans, but according to the 'plan in place' they would assess the situation daily with contingencies on what do do if the baseline evidence changed. This, imo, is the most obvious of scenarios.

Reactions: BCoffClone125

CY9395

Jun 7, 2010
ISUKendall/RustShack - there's an overwhelming amount of evidence that shows it's safer to be outside, weaing a mask than enclosed at a bar or someone's residence without one. You believe all those fans who were planning on going to the game are now going to go home and watch it in solitude?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What i'd do for the next rest of the tickets if i was JP:

If things have cooled off a bit in a few weeks, give every season ticket holder either a ticket for OU or Tech. Hold on the rest. That'd be 12-13k\game for those two (roughly 20% capacity, should be able to distance seats better than they were doing with 25k)

From there there's another month to reexamine since the next game is november 7.

Then do the same for the next 2 games in november.

Hold the last game back to evaluate things (things may be getting worse with the virus due to seasonal trends), but lets be honest, with a december 5 date in Ames, they could probably allow all current season ticketholders in and still have <25% capacity, and there may be more freedom to open it up like that with the students gone from campus at that point.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Even just looking at the seating chart this idea seemed like a nightmare, there were so many seats filled near others, 1 seat separating groups, there was no way.
Agree. It needed to be half that at least. Plus if you get a bunch of fatties in some of those seats ... well you know what I mean.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
What is the magic number of infections before everybody stops worrying about this. Maybe instead of infections, symptomatic or not, we should look at the outcomes to determine severity. Every year infection rates happen with the flue, but nobody cares, unless the numbers are crazy for death. Then we still don't change our behavior. The death numbers are not impactful enough for any of this. People are just more scared and looking for more bubble wrap to put themselves in. If you disagree please tell me who is going to give the all clear and what measurement are they using to determine it. Make that public so we can monitor as a society. The more all these decisions are sketchy and the athletic department changes course indicates the political and legal pressure they are under NOT the health constraints.

Public health experts have been very clear on this, including the CDC, WHO and the White House task force (Fauci and Birx). The key metrics are positivity rate (> 5%) and # of new cases (> 10 / 100,000 people per day)

Anything over 5% positivity rate is the "red zone" and you can't have large gatherings, indoor dining, open schools and need a mask mandate.

When those numbers are below those metrics, then you can start opening things up within reason - and prioritized on importance. In-person school is more important than opening bars and in-person dining, at least to most people. Or also, playing football games is more important than having fans in the stands.

Listen to the experts. Follow their advice. That's the only way out of this.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Withstand pressure from who? There is going to be pressure from either side no matter what decision is made, not everyone can be happy. So what about the pressure now from local businesses, hotels, etc. that will be losing out of thousands of dollars without fans in Ames? You think they aren't upset too? Saying she reversed course because she couldn't handle the "pressure" is looking at this from one side.
Those people don’t have the voice right now.

I’m looking at this from a PR standpoint. If you are going to announce going against the grain which they definitely were then you he’s have crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is. You have to be fully behind your decision and ready to stand up to the immediate pressure.

Now not only do we look like idiots still to the people who think there should be no fans but we also look dumb to the people who wanted fans. This change of decision doesn’t change the view of Iowa State by those people who were mad.