• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Just two days after announcing a plan to have 25,000 fans in the stands at Jack Trice Stadium, Iowa State has changed course.

According to a university release Wednesday afternoon, there will be no fans in attendance for the football program’s season opener on Sept. 12 against the University of Louisiana. The game, scheduled to kick off at 11 a.m., will be televised nationally on ESPN.

“Our department staff and I have worked very closely with Dr. (Wendy) Wintersteen and her leadership team throughout the summer as we jointly developed plans for this fall’s football season,” Iowa State athletics director Jamie Pollard said in the release. “Over the weekend, Dr. Wintersteen gave our working group the approval to move forward with the plans that were jointly development. Our department announced those plans on Monday, which included fans, who purchased season tickets, to attend the first game.

“President Wintersteen shared with me on Tuesday evening that, after weighing...

Continue reading...

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
CF this past week
iu

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
As I've said all along, just please play the games....we can live without fans.

Glad ISU isn't too proud to reverse decisions and can listen to it's fans/community. Hopefully numbers start to drop this fall and we can have fans at some point.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As I've said all along, just please play the games....we can live without fans.

Glad ISU isn't too proud to reverse decisions and can listen to it's fans/community. Hopefully numbers start to drop this fall and we can have fans at some point.

The benefit ISU has is they now have a month until the next home game. They can reevaluate in a few weeks if something like 25% makes sense.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I feel like I’m one of a few that planned on going to the game and still wasn’t sure having fans was the right move—-especially 40% capacity.

I think having the highest % in the country was a dumb move. Even ND wasn’t letting 40% in.

here’s hoping things cool off in Iowa and we have fans in jack trice in October.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The benefit ISU has is they now have a month until the next home game. They can reevaluate in a few weeks if something like 25% makes sense.

I liked the approach the whole time. Whether you agreed or did not agree, ISU was up front about what they are doing. When they explained their latest plan, they actually listened to feedback. Great leadership move.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Absolutely incompetent from Wintersteen. I’d be pissed if I was Jamie. Not that I was totally on board with the announced plan but this looks like the same type of problem as the Big 10.

If you weren’t going to allow fans then don’t say you will allow fans.

Just to clarify I’m not being critical of no fans I’m being critical of her saying ok to 25,000 fans and then two days later saying no fans. If Iowa State has just said no fans it would have gotten grumbling but not people legitimately upset.

Last edited:

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
They never should have went with 25,000

Should have followed along and did 25% to start. We tried to lead the nation in attendance for some reason and it backfired.
I don’t think you hear the backlash if they announce 25% which would be around 15k