IOWA STATE and PERFECT GAME

cykick

Aug 13, 2015
I have been a ISU FAN ( and an Alum) for many years.

I watch this years team and have to wonder.... What will happen when we play a perfect game? Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaching clock management what would happen??

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
What makes a perfect game in this scenario? Does the offense need to score a touchdown every possession and never punt? Does the defense need to not allow a single first down or just no points to be perfect?

Perfect is such a strong word, and I would agree with Pride that there is no such thing as a perfect game in football. You could find faults in the games of even an undefeated national champion team, and I can guarantee no head coach would ever say their team played a perfect game with nothing to work on.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We don't even need perfection. Just having an above average game from all 3 units would be great to see. This team has just scratched the surface of how good they can be. There are only a handful of teams at best in the entire country that I wouldn't feel confident about beating.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
We don't even need perfection. Just having an above average game from all 3 units would be great to see. This team has just scratched the surface of how good they can be. There are only a handful of teams at best in the entire country that I wouldn't feel confident about beating.
Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State? Anyone else?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It’s not about perfection, it’s about adjustments and overcoming adversity. I don’t know that anyone can honestly say this team doesn’t have that and that makes me damn proud to be a Cyclone fan.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
In my mind a perfect game would consist of the following:
No mental errors and very few, if any penalties.
Defensive play that makes a team earn any points it gets by having to put together long drives, add in a couple takeaways.
No turnovers against us.
An efficient offense that wears down the other defense by blending pass and run and being unpredictable on down and distance, and staying ahead of the chains.
Special teams no one talks about except if we do something great.

Do these things and victory should happen more times that not.
"Don't beat yourself."

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would say the Texas Tech game in 2016 comes as close to perfection as there ever will be at ISU. Goodness that was a fun game from all aspects!!

West Virginia game a couple years ago, when they were ranked 6th, was about as perfect as you can get. Gave up the first TD, and the only other points came from a blocked field goal return, and had 498 yards to their 152.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Dont want it. Some university (BLUEBLOOD) will offer 9 million per year and 8 million for the staff. Perfect game / perfect offer:jimlad:

• Useful
Reactions: Cycsk

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I would say the Texas Tech game in 2016 comes as close to perfection as there ever will be at ISU. Goodness that was a fun game from all aspects!!
I don’t know you could say that. We had a Linebacker playing QB. :jimlad:

Reactions: cykick

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
What makes a perfect game in this scenario?

I would consider this to be pretty much a perfect game for ISU:
* No turnovers by the offense or special teams
* No scores by the opponent's defense
* No points given up on special teams
* No missed FGs under 40 yds or missed extra points
* No scores given up before halftime with 3:00 or less on the clock
* Minimal penalties (3 or less - this might be a little tight)
* No 3rd and 15+ conversions given up by the defense
* No 4th down conversions given up by the defense
* Over 30 points scored by the offense
* Winning time of possession
* ISU WINS THE GAME!

Last edited:
Reactions: cykick and EIClone

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I have been a ISU FAN ( and an Alum) for many years.

I watch this years team and have to wonder.... What will happen when we play a perfect game? Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaching clock management what would happen??
I remember an announcer saying during the second half Saturday that we had ZERO penalties up to that point - didn't even pay attention after that point - did we have an error free game in that regard?