Iowa State 2020 Schedule Change

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
It's a little bit different considering UNI is FCS and we don't have a contract to play them every year. I'm fine with playing UNI every other year, however in a year where we aren't playing Iowa and we literally just played UNI a year ago, it'd be nice to schedule someone different.

Exactly... How many other FBS schools have an FCS "rivalry" game?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Exactly... How many other FBS schools have an FCS "rivalry" game?
None that I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are probably others. I wouldn't necessarily call it a rivalry game though. It's an in-state game, but we lead the "series" 23-5. We are however only 5-3 against them in our last 8 matchups, so it's certainly had a rivalry game feel to it, which I guess is all that matters.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It's a little bit different considering UNI is FCS and we don't have a contract to play them every year. I'm fine with playing UNI every other year, however in a year where we aren't playing Iowa and we literally just played UNI a year ago, it'd be nice to schedule someone different.

But the same in that "we cant beat a lesser team then us, so we should just stop playing them".

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How would that work? Put up a wall around the lots to prevent us that park elsewhere from entering the lots?

There are parking lot attendants at every entrance, either checking for passes, or taking $20 for a pass. If you have a parking pass already, you should have a season ticket. If your paying $20, you need to show that you have a game ticket as well to get a $20 pass.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But the same in that "we cant beat a lesser team then us, so we should just stop playing them".
I'm sure there are those who view it that way. Personally I just don't want to play them this year due to us playing them last year and then we're going to have to play them again next year. We have a far greater chance of beating UNI than beating Mizzou or Arkansas, but I'd rather play those teams for this weird season. Switch things up a bit.

I also find it highly annoying that all of my Panther buddies are in Ames wearing purple telling me how much ISU sucks and then the next week would all be down in Ames the following weekend in black and gold telling me how much ISU sucks. If ISU would beat UNI they'd say, oh yeah, just wait till we kick your a** next week. Lol

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Count me in as to NOT wanting to play UNI if there is a P5 school out there that we can play. A non-con P5 (that isn't Iowa) is SO rare for Iowa State, I would love to see it. It may never happen again.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
These "I dont want to play UNI" comments are exactly what ISU fans used to give Iowa fans crap for saying from about 2000 on.

Here’s the deal, one team is a solid power 5 team and the other is FCS. ISU has every right to hold ourselves in higher regard than UNI

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
If we're going to make money on playing UNI, groovy.

If we're not going to make money on playing them, and we're doing it as a favor to UNI after the Hawks bailed on them, screw that.

With the stadium on partial capacity and the game likely on ESPN+, I hope the relevant folks are doing the math. If it's only a marginal money-making opportunity we're better off avoiding it and gaining some schedule flexibility.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
There are parking lot attendants at every entrance, either checking for passes, or taking $20 for a pass. If you have a parking pass already, you should have a season ticket. If your paying $20, you need to show that you have a game ticket as well to get a $20 pass.

That doesn't address people parking some where else and walking into the lot to tailgate with someone already parked there.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Here’s the deal, one team is a solid power 5 team and the other is FCS. ISU has every right to hold ourselves in higher regard than UNI

I don't disagree that I would rather play another team, but saying "we should hold ourselves in higher regard" is almost verbatim what I heard from Hawk fans in the early 2000's.

We should not be scared of UNI at all. If you don't want to play them because you would rather see a P5 opponent fine.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't disagree that I would rather play another team, but saying "we should hold ourselves in higher regard" is almost verbatim what I heard from Hawk fans in the early 2000's.

We should not be scared of UNI at all. If you don't want to play them because you would rather see a P5 opponent fine.

This is a bad comparison.

Just because hawks say something when it doesnt make sense (because we were both P5 teams) doesnt suddenly make it invalid in all situations. Its peak little brother to think it does.

And its also not about 'afraid' and more about the fact that you only get so many games on the schedule, and you take the breaks where you can get them