Iowa St/UNLV opens up at ISU -30.5

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
I’d probably not touch this one. UNLV is really bad and I believe their somewhat minimal strength is running the ball, which plays into the defenses strength. Definitely can see UNLV covering, but Iowa State surprising us wouldn’t shock me either. Also will be a home crowd away from home.

A home crowd hasn't propelled the team, unfortunately. That's a big stadium and even if it's mostly ISU fans, there's no way it'll sound as loud as last Saturday at Trice.

And the offense certainly hasn't shown us anything yet. Don't forget the UNI spread either. I didn't see many people on here suggesting that spread was brutally off, but instead looking forward to seeing Hunter get some work in, and to think it occurred in the Iowa game instead. We all obviously hope for a comfortable blowout, but even for as much as UNLV has struggled, so have we. I don't know how anyone could feel confident about a 30 point spread. Seriously, the way the offense has played so far, a two possession victory is a must and anything more is frosting on the cake.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy and cygrads

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A home crowd hasn't propelled the team, unfortunately. That's a big stadium and even if it's mostly ISU fans, there's no way it'll sound as loud as last Saturday at Trice.

And the offense certainly hasn't shown us anything yet. Don't forget the UNI spread either. I didn't see many people on here suggesting that spread was brutally off, but instead looking forward to seeing Hunter get some work in, and to think it occurred in the Iowa game instead. We all obviously hope for a comfortable blowout, but even for as much as UNLV has struggled, so have we. I don't know how anyone could feel confident about a 30 point spread. Seriously, the way the offense has played so far, a two possession victory is a must and anything more is frosting on the cake.
Actually I saw quite a few people who said that taking UNI and the points was easy money. I thought it was the smart bet, but I don't bet.

• Agree
Reactions: convoluteme

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I think you you take UNLV to cover and that way you aren't disappointed with a 28-17 ISU win.
I took them to cover. We will win, but not by 30.

UNLV is bad but it's a hella late time zone start for what they're used to. And we have a bunch of super seniors. 9:30 CT is past their bedtime.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I would bet on ISU winning by 40. This is going to be a beat down. They will be looking to punish UNLV. I would also guess the running game has a huge day.
I don't question the capability, but are they going to play a little faster you think? They will have to hasten their tempo considerably over the first 2 games if they are going to A) Score 40+ or B) Cover a 30+ point spread. To me it isn't a question of can they, so much as will they. I think we see some changes offensively, but I can't see us suddenly running jet tempo and just running UNLV out of their home stadium.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Gotta have more aggressive play calling if we're going to score at a higher clip. Inside zone, screen, out route isn't going to cut it.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't question the capability, but are they going to play a little faster you think? They will have to hasten their tempo considerably over the first 2 games if they are going to A) Score 40+ or B) Cover a 30+ point spread. To me it isn't a question of can they, so much as will they. I think we see some changes offensively, but I can't see us suddenly running jet tempo and just running UNLV out of their home stadium.
I don't think they will need to up the tempo. UNLV's QB probably won't play and the ISU defense is going to smother them making for short fields and maybe a couple TOs. And I think we will see several explosive plays.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
There is nothing I've seen the last 2 games that indicate that this team is capable of putting up 32 pts. Given how well the defense is playing the under seems like the play.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think they will need to up the tempo. UNLV's QB probably won't play and the ISU defense is going to smother them making for short fields and maybe a couple TOs. And I think we will see several explosive plays.
If they hit on a few explosive plays and maybe a defensive/ST score or two, I could see the over and +30.5 hitting. I won't be betting on it though, given what we have seen thus far.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Did you talk to Ace about that bet?
Remo took Ace's money, not his advice.

No help here as yall seem pretty split!
I don't see us covering but if we do it's because the D nearly shuts them out, which does seem possible. That all makes the under seem ok but may have to skip it with all the conflicting thought here so far. I was glad to take the money last week but there's nothing I care to buy this week.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I've teased this game total down to 46.5 (taking the over at that number), along with Iowa -23.5 down to -17, Horns Down from -26 down to -19.5 vs Rice, OU from -22.5 down to -16 vs Nebraska and Fresno State +11 up to +17.5 vs UCLA. Think I'll also play a unit on UNLV +31.5 and be ok with losing my money on that one if it happens to be the case.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Clones win 27-13

our defense scores once
our offense gives up a TD

Hopefully UNLV is real bad. We need a week our offense can pull their head out

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Even a relatively well played game by the offense ends 34-10. I don't trust our offense. Expect to be nervous deep into the fourth quarter. That's how we roll.