Iowa Reruiting class

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
I don't understand how Iowa can win the Big 10, and go to play for the NC, and still have a class rated in the mid 40's. I would have thought they would have recruited a top 20 class ?:confused:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
They signed 80% off their class beeps the season started. Next year will be the pay day for them. Unless they fall on their faces and the good ones decommit after the season.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I don't understand how Iowa can win the Big 10, and go to play for the NC, and still have a class rated in the mid 40's. I would have thought they would have recruited a top 20 class ?:confused:

More proof that nothing changed except for the schedule /thread

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
1. rankings and stars do not really mean a whole lot, for example: Blake Larsen
2. I hate to say it, but Iowa really develops their kids.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm sure they'll see an uptick next year because of last year.

I still think their schedule just fell perfectly with a good team that they fielded. They also have an above average quarterback who pretty much saved them from a couple losses. Had he not escaped that safety against ISU, I liked our chances. But, he did and we lost so not playing the what if game.

I think Iowa still goes 9-3 next year with their schedule and senior QB/good defensive talent.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

Two straight bowl blow-outs showing how weak their regular season schedule is. Top players want to play against top competition.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Iowa coaches might be the best in college football at developing players.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Next year they will see the benefits. AJ Espenensa has already committed to them, he is a top 5 recruit according to one source, and a top 25 by all sources.

They find their guys and develop them. They have a system that has worked well for them.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Two straight bowl blow-outs showing how weak their regular season schedule is. Top players want to play against top competition.

To be fair, they did play against top competition - they just got blown out.

And regarding their regular season, the players committing now won't be as "fortunate" to avoid playing the top tier B10 teams when they're time comes.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
I really don't think we should be questioning their recruiting until we're putting as many kids into the NFL as they are.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Iowa coaches might be the best in college football at developing players.

Yeah? Watch this old bastard claw his way back into a Big 12 title hunt...

bill-snyder.jpg

With jucos.

Last edited:

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
They do a good job targeting players that fit their system and are the type of player/person they want. Most of those people are not highly rated. Their recruiting class probably wouldn't have changed much if they were in the National Championship game or they went 7-5.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Recruiting generally has a 1 year lag of on-field success. Especially since most of their class was filled before they played any games.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
1. rankings and stars do not really mean a whole lot, for example: Blake Larsen
2. I hate to say it, but Iowa really develops their kids.

The bold is the key. Blue bloods can recruit the players they need to win. Everyone else needs to be able to develop players in order to compete with the blue bloods.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm sure they'll see an uptick next year because of last year.

I still think their schedule just fell perfectly with a good team that they fielded. They also have an above average quarterback who pretty much saved them from a couple losses. Had he not escaped that safety against ISU, I liked our chances. But, he did and we lost so not playing the what if game.

I think Iowa still goes 9-3 next year with their schedule and senior QB/good defensive talent.

Based on what happened this year and where Iowa plays the better Big 10 west teams, they should be favored in all of their games except Michigan looking at the schedule right now. Given the talent gap from legitimate top teams like Stanford, that really points out how weak their schedule is again next year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If you're going to a B1G school and Urban Meyer doesn't want you I'm guessing it'd be tough to go to a school that plays Ohio State once a decade. Most kids want to play against the best

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think people play too much NCAA on xbox, it takes a long time to make a big jump in recruiting rankings. One good season can swing a player or two but it won't make blue chip recruits flock to your school. The other thing is, Iowa recruits to a system and does it better than nearly anyone in the country.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
To be fair, they did play against top competition - they just got blown out.

And regarding their regular season, the players committing now won't be as "fortunate" to avoid playing the top tier B10 teams when they're time comes.

Does Iowa actually have to play Ohio State a time or two in the next decade?:rolleyes: They did play against an excellent Stanford team (though Oregon beat them at Stanford in November). But last year was just as bad against Tennessee, who I believe was unranked as they were this year when they blew out Northwestern, who was Iowa's most impressive win. Iowa made the most of a weak schedule and they deserve credit for that, but when they get blown out in their bowl games as badly as they have lately, a good regular season loses a lot of credibility.