Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I believe Waveland (Des Moines) was the first golf course west of the Mississippi? I used to golf and seem to remember reading that while in the club house. They have a great photo of elk on the course.

Steak de bergo was founded in iowa.

Fried pork tenderloins seem to be an Iowa/Midwestern thing. Go West or East, they have never heard of it.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Nevada, Iowa, is pronounced nuh-VAY-da instead of nuh-VAA-da.

Buena Vista (at least the college, maybe the county, too) is pronounced BYOO-na VIS-ta instead of BWAY-na VIS-ta (they get angry up there if you pronounce it like it's Spanish).

Madrid, Iowa, is pronounced MAD-rid instead of ma-DRID.

Fun fact: when I was an air traffic controller in Cedar Rapids some years back, a pilot checked in for VFR flight following. I asked what his destination was, and he said "Mack-uh-WEE-ta." It took me a second to figure out he meant Maquoketa.

You can blame Uncle Charles for Madrid. He hated not only his in-laws but also his hired man who constantly bragged about being from Madrid, Spain.

Boone County’s Towns and Cities

Madrid, located in present day Douglas Township, is the oldest town in Boone County. The first resident of Boone County, Charles W. Gaston of Pennsylvania, settled in the Madrid area in 1846 where he married his second wife, Anna C. Dalander.. The Dalanders, Swedish natives, had immigrated to the area in 1846 and were the recipients of Boone County’s first land deed in 1849. Swede Point, now part of Madrid, was first surveyed in May of 1851 and officially filed for record in February of 1852. Other plats for the town were filed in 1853, 1855 and 1857. Gaston later was responsible for giving Madrid its Spanish name. According to the 1914 History of Boone County, Gaston was named the executor of his mother-in-law’s estate. He argued with some of the family, and “out of resentment to them he changed the name [of Swede Point] to Madrid. About the time of this change Mr. Gaston had in his employ a Spaniard, who often spoke of Madrid, the capital of his native country. He [Gaston] held the Spaniard, his country and capital, all in contempt; so to get even with his Swedish brothers, he took from the town its Swedish name and substituted for it the Spanish name.”

• Haha
Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not an Iowa quirk, but our current house in Ohio has an old school about 250 yards to the southeast of it that was built overa Wyandot Native American burial mound site. I pulled newspaper.com for info and there’s picture of theteam from OSU doing an archeological dig on it in the 50’s with the construction crews’ bulldozers sitting in the background waiting to flatten the site.

Just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it*.

*this is sarcastic for anyone that needs that pointed out.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The property line of the farm I grew up on was a railroad line at some point and it's interesting to think about it being there. Some stumps still exist.

I also think about if any tribes lived along the creek and that really blows my mind.

I just finished combining a farm where an old railroad went through. The railroad has been gone for 60 years and you can still see line across the field on a yield map where the yield is lower. Time heals they say!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Yeah, my environmental science professor said that Iowa is one of the most transformed places in the world. Iowa used to be mostly grassland praries but those are hard to find now-a-days.

It's a good thing Iowans used the most fertile soil in the world to produce a **** ton of food for everyone, rather than just let it sit as grassland. what a wast that would've been.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Yeah, my environmental science professor said that Iowa is one of the most transformed places in the world. Iowa used to be mostly grassland praries but those are hard to find now-a-days.

Places like New York City seem pretty transformed to me. Or the land your house sits on. Or Jack Trice Stadium. Or Welch Avenue.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
When the state capital moved from Iowa City, Polk City was nearly chosen before Des Moines was selected instead.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Places like New York City seem pretty transformed to me. Or the land your house sits on. Or Jack Trice Stadium. Or Welch Avenue.

Manhattan was a swampy marshland. It was built up over time by humans. But it’s also a pretty small area when you compare it to an entire state

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's a good thing Iowans used the most fertile soil in the world to produce a **** ton of food for everyone, rather than just let it sit as grassland. what a wast that would've been.

And then turned around and complained about flooding.

• Haha
Reactions: SoapyCy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Iowa State was almost founded in Marshalltown. There was a debate between which town got the Veteran’s Home and which got the college. Marshalltown “won” the coin flip and chose the Iowa Vet’s home and Ames got the college.

I've always heard it was Nevada won the coin flip and took the County seat.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The small Iowa town I'm from, Cascade (population 2100), was home to a Division I basketball coach (Greg McDermott), a Big Ten broadcaster (Gary Dolphin), a current big league pitcher (Colin Rea, CHC) and a baseball Hall of Famer (Red Faber).

Also, every resident of Cascade for more than 100 years could attend the Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus for free, anywhere in the world, because of assistance provided to the Ringling Brothers when they were passing through there early in their career after "a cyclone" destroyed much of their belongings.

Ringling Brothers Circus "Saved" by Cascade Generosity

We also have the best Caseys.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I have no proof of this but can hardly believe there's another county in the country that has both:

1 Presidential birthplace
And
1 Stop light

Cedar County (where I just moved from).

The stoplight is in the county seat - Tipton. But I'm afraid at some point in the near future West Branch may decide to install one with all the expansion going on there and the proximity to IC.

Reactions: kcbob79clone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron