Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think one that I’ve ran across is that the location the current Beaverdale Park in Des Moines and the area that the bike trail runs through to the east and south of the park was an active coal mine up until the mid-1940’s.

another one from that area is the “streetcar” that I believe ran from Perry, through Granger, through Johnston, across the river at the bike trail bridge near Euclid in DSM and down through to near the East Village. I always think it’s interesting to think about what it would have been like riding that line on a daily basis.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
like, mixed together?
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and GMackey32

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
The Quad-Cities (Iowa and Illinois but still) had founding teams in both the NFL (Rock Island Independents) and NBA (Tri-City Blackhawks: Atlanta Hawks today). The Blackhawks were coached by Red Auerbach and the very first NFL game was played in Rock Island. Jim Thorpe later played for Independents for two years.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Not sure if true, but I have heard that Dubuque is the largest city in U.S. without Interstate access.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think one that I’ve ran across is that the location the current Beaverdale Park in Des Moines and the area that the bike trail runs through to the east and south of the park was an active coal mine up until the mid-1940’s.

another one from that area is the “streetcar” that I believe ran from Perry, through Granger, through Johnston, across the river at the bike trail bridge near Euclid in DSM and down through to near the East Village. I always think it’s interesting to think about what it would have been like riding that line on a daily basis.

The property line of the farm I grew up on was a railroad line at some point and it's interesting to think about it being there. Some stumps still exist.

I also think about if any tribes lived along the creek and that really blows my mind.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The property line of the farm I grew up on was a railroad line at some point and it's interesting to think about it being there. Some stumps still exist.

I also think about if any tribes lived along the creek and that really blows my mind.

Not an Iowa quirk, but our current house in Ohio has an old school about 250 yards to the southeast of it that was built overa Wyandot Native American burial mound site. I pulled newspaper.com for info and there’s picture of theteam from OSU doing an archeological dig on it in the 50’s with the construction crews’ bulldozers sitting in the background waiting to flatten the site.

Help Support Us

Become a patron