Iowa only up 2 at half

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
That's the only way to know, true.

I'm not about to say ISU will (or even should) dominate Iowa, based on what we've seen so far. ISU hasn't faced a team on Xavier's level yet. Iowa's win over 'Bama looks marginal at this point, but the SDSU loss I doubt would happen if it was played a month later.

I also see no reason to think ISU shouldn't be able to win in IC. If the game was played today, I would expect it —*possibly close-shaved, but I think Iowa State has its parts moving together better right now.

Alabama is horrible this year. They have one upperclassman that actually plays. The rest of the team is very young. I'm surprised they almost got to 50 against the POWERHOUSE Hawkeyes.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I would rather beat the high school opponents than lose to them. Guess they just don't know the "system" yet. I mean, who learns a new system after 1 year? Certainly not Garrett!!!!

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
WTF?! Big Ten will be a better MBB conferences than BXII this year. Michigan State, Purdue, and Minny should all be very good.

Texas, Kansas & Kansas State should all be very good also.

Pretty even conferences this year.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
That's the only way to know, true.

I'm not about to say ISU will (or even should) dominate Iowa, based on what we've seen so far. ISU hasn't faced a team on Xavier's level yet. Iowa's win over 'Bama looks marginal at this point, but the SDSU loss I doubt would happen if it was played a month later.

I also see no reason to think ISU shouldn't be able to win in IC. If the game was played today, I would expect it —*possibly close-shaved, but I think Iowa State has its parts moving together better right now.

This, I can agree with. Is ISU better at this point? Probably. In fact, I would be concerned otherwise. ISU has a lot more experience playing this year than Iowa does.

My only beef is with the guys who think it's going to be a cakewalk in Iowa City. It's funny, these are the same guys who predict a win against Iowa in football every year. They're also the first to throw temper tantrums when the wins don't pour in like they're expected to.

Fan expectations is great. But realistic expectations keeps fans from going off the deep end, and makes the sport that much more enjoyable.

For the record, I pick this very same bone with Hawkeye fans. HR is infested with this type. The type that thinks Iowa, as a program, should be perennially disappointed with an 8-4, or 9-4 season, even though historically those would be some of the better ones.

The Hawkeye bball team is improving. Climbing back to within 8 of Xavier after being behind 22 was something we wouldn't have seen the past 3 years.

Iowa's bench scored over 32 points today. That's showing a lot of promise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This, I can agree with. Is ISU better at this point? Probably. In fact, I would be concerned otherwise. ISU has a lot more experience playing this year than Iowa does.

My only beef is with the guys who think it's going to be a cakewalk in Iowa City. It's funny, these are the same guys who predict a win against Iowa in football every year. They're also the first to throw temper tantrums when the wins don't pour in like they're expected to ( Cyclone21, you've got to be a little embarrassed about your rampage following a loss that got you banned for a few days).

Fan expectations is great. But realistic expectations keeps fans from going off the deep end, and makes the sport that much more enjoyable.

For the record, I pick this very same bone with Hawkeye fans. HR is infested with this type. The type that thinks Iowa, as a program, should be perennially disappointed with an 8-4, or 9-4 season, even though historically those would be some of the better ones.

The Hawkeye bball team is improving. Climbing back to within 8 of Xavier after being behind 22 was something we wouldn't have seen the past 3 years.

Good points here.
I'm confident that we can win in Iowa City. You guys are showing some mental toughness, so I think it's an interesting game.
At the same time, South Dakota St and Long Beach St? That's a tough case to make for Iowa against anybody.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

My only beef is with the guys who think it's going to be a cakewalk in Iowa City. It's funny, these are the same guys who predict a win against Iowa in football every year. They're also the first to throw temper tantrums when the wins don't pour in like they're expected to ( Cyclone21, you've got to be a little embarrassed about your rampage following a loss that got you banned for a few days).

Actually, the Iowa bench outscored "The Beach" bench 42-4.
This also means "The Beach" starters outscored the Iowa starters 74-30.
You say that shows a lot of promise but it could very well mean that you are playing 11 interchangable stiffs.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
That Iowa victory over big-name Alabama kinda lost its luster last night, when big-name Alabama failed to score 50 in a loss to St. Peter's. St. Peter's was previously winless before taking down big-name Alabama.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
That Iowa victory over big-name Alabama kinda lost its luster last night, when big-name Alabama failed to score 50 in a loss to St. Peter's. St. Peter's was previously winless before taking down big-name Alabama.

I won't disagree with this, it was about as much of a big win in basketball as the ISU win over Texas was in football.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Hardly similar. Alabama is a known CBB powerhouse? Nope. But nice try.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
Hardly similar. Alabama is a known CBB powerhouse? Nope. But nice try.

Not really my point, I'm just saying that the wins aren't as good as they look.

Actually I take that back, any Iowa basketball win will look good this year.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I won't disagree with this, it was about as much of a big win in basketball as the ISU win over Texas was in football.

For real? Despite the dismay of Texas football this year, ISU did something they had never done before: Beat Texas in football. I'm positive Iowa Basketball has had wins over big-name basketball programs before beating Alabama.

And kudos to you for derailing the topic for no reason. Why you brought up the ISU/Texas football team in a Iowa basketball thread reeks of an agenda that is trying to deflect the idea that Iowa basketball is in a very sorry state right now.

Last edited:

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
I hate to say it, but Clones would win by double digits in IC 9 of 10 times.

Here's to playing teh one time they don't! :smile:

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
For real? Despite the dismay of Texas football this year, ISU did something they had never done before: Beat Texas in football. I'm positive Iowa Basketball has had wins over big-name basketball programs before beating Alabama.

And kudos to you for derailing the topic for no reason. Why you brought up the ISU/Texas football team in a Iowa basketball thread reeks of an agenda that is trying to deflect the idea that Iowa basketball is in a very sorry state right now.

Sort of like how many ISU fans on here bring up Iowa basketball in threads that have absolutely nothing to do with basketball or Iowa? In fact, it is astonishing to me how many threads ISU fans start about Iowa or turn into something related to Iowa. This is Cyclone Fanatic right? Cyclone fans like to knock the Hawkeye posters who post on a site called Cyclone Fanatic, yet it's those same posters who frequently bring up Iowa on a site called Cyclone Fanatic. Curious, no?

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Sort of like how many ISU fans on here bring up Iowa basketball in threads that have absolutely nothing to do with basketball or Iowa? In fact, it is astonishing to me how many threads ISU fans start about Iowa or turn into something related to Iowa. This is Cyclone Fanatic right? Cyclone fans like to knock the Hawkeye posters who post on a site called Cyclone Fanatic, yet it's those same posters who frequently bring up Iowa on a site called Cyclone Fanatic. Curious, no?

Do you have any links to support this?

Hawkfan44

Dec 13, 2008
I think ISU is looking way better than Iowa at this point. However, after the last coach and his watch paint dry gameplan, I am more interested in how the Hawks look vs. last year. Are they still bad? Yes! I do think they are funner to watch. I didn't watch much last year. Couldn't handle it! This year with more uptempo I can at least still watch. I think our respective coaches will get our teams back where they belong! I think Iowa and ISU fans are both going to be MAD AGAIN!!! LOL! Couldn't resist that last line!