Iowa High School Football Districts/Groups 2020 Season

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just waiting for Norwalk and DCG and Northwest to come online and then the suburban schools can get enough power to form their own conference and tell the state to go do one. Max travel time for any matchup 45 minutes.

North
Ankeny
Centennial
Johnston
Urbandale
DCG
Ames

South
Dowling
Valley
Waukee
Norwalk
SEP
Northwest

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Just waiting for Norwalk and DCG and Northwest to come online and then the suburban schools can get enough power to form their own conference and tell the state to go do one. Max travel time for any matchup 45 minutes.

North
Ankeny
Centennial
Johnston
Urbandale
DCG
Ames

South
Dowling
Valley
Waukee
Norwalk
SEP
Northwest

Yep...the state messed up 4A football in a big way! The eastern half of the state had conferences that fit very well! The Mississippi Valley was a great league for football! Gone!

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and madguy30

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Man, those 4A districts are brutal. Whats the point, the same horses are going to win the districts every year anyways, why spread everyone out?

Reactions: cyfanatic

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Yep...the state messed up 4A football in a big way! The eastern half of the state had conferences that fit very well! The Mississippi Valley was a great league for football! Gone!
The Des Moines metro did too. But then the suburb schools had to trow a hissy fit and ruin that

Hoover got bumped down to 3A, interesting.
Yeah, that's ********

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I grew up following eastern Iowa 4A football and from what I see now, it makes the playoffs much less interesting.

• Agree

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Iowa City, Regina moved down to class A. Should they just give them the champions trophy now?

• Agree
Reactions: EnkAMania

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Iowa City, Regina moved down to class A. Should they just give them the champions trophy now?

Some of the schools who have moved up and down the classes just seem to stand out! That one does...in the 1980s Regina was in the same conference as Linn-Mar! Solon being in 2A and Clear Creek-Amana getting close to 4A jumps out at me a bit as well! I would have thought Solon was on the fast track in terms of growth...or at least faster than CC-A! Not so...

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
They got at least one thing right. Out of seven groups they put Davenport North in the last one.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I feel like six letters is the threshold at which a school should just change to an actual name like Ida County or South Ida or something...

Part of the school district is in Sac County. Plus the people in both of those old districts DO NOT handle change well.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
OABCIG, last year's 2A champion with everybody back, is now 1A.

It's all based off of enrollment numbers and their class sizes certainly aren't increasing. The fact that OABCIG was one of the smallest 2A schools makes their championship run even more impressive.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Some of the schools who have moved up and down the classes just seem to stand out! That one does...in the 1980s Regina was in the same conference as Linn-Mar! Solon being in 2A and Clear Creek-Amana getting close to 4A jumps out at me a bit as well! I would have thought Solon was on the fast track in terms of growth...or at least faster than CC-A! Not so...

I went back and looked at who I played during HS.. and most of the teams have either dropped a level or 2 (we were 1A) or they have combined with another district and are still a level below 1A. Crazy