Iowa High School Boys' BB Tourney

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Not sure if this is the correct forum so I apologize in advance. ( Feel free to move it)

West Sioux (Hunter Dekkers & "company") is playing North Linn. It is on the IHSSN app. Halftime score: North Linn 26- West Sioux 25. Fun watching Hunter & Kade Lynott!!

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
With the lack of entertainment in the isu mens basketball part of my life, I watched a fair amount of the games today. It's embarasing how bad high school refs are at calling block/charge fouls.

Also, some questions to start some conversation. Should they implement a shot clock in high school? What about a restricted arc under the basket?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With the lack of entertainment in the isu mens basketball part of my life, I watched a fair amount of the games today. It's embarasing how bad high school refs are at calling block/charge fouls.

Also, some questions to start some conversation. Should they implement a shot clock in high school? What about a restricted arc under the basket?

The shot clock is coming. My daughters team played at this kick off fest that had 5-6 games at it at Coe College to start the season. They had those games with a shot clock. Daughters game, there may have been one violation if that. So it did kinda prove that it wasn't really needed, at least for that game.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
The shot clock is coming. My daughters team played at this kick off fest that had 5-6 games at it at Coe College to start the season. They had those games with a shot clock. Daughters game, there may have been one violation if that. So it did kinda prove that it wasn't really needed, at least for that game.

It's not necessarily a common thing but when a defense shuts down an offensive possession for 40+ seconds only for the offense to finally find a hole in the defense and score a basket doesnt seem right.

Or for a team to be able to hold the ball for a minute+ towards the end of a game with a small lead. A team shouldn't have to foul down 1 point with 90 seconds left to get the ball back.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's not necessarily a common thing but when a defense shuts down an offensive possession for 40+ seconds only for the offense to finally find a hole in the defense and score a basket doesnt seem right.

Or for a team to be able to hold the ball for a minute+ towards the end of a game with a small lead. A team shouldn't have to foul down 1 point with 90 seconds left to get the ball back.
The worst was a couple of years ago in 4A boys I believe, a team (maybe Valley?) got the OT tip and held the ball the entire OT, took the final shot and made it to win the game.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The worst was a couple of years ago in 4A boys I believe, a team (maybe Valley?) got the OT tip and held the ball the entire OT, took the final shot and made it to win the game.

2016 - Valley beat Iowa City West by stalling out the game. When Iowa City West did the same thing to them in 2017, the Valley coach and fans cried foul and I remember the West fans chanting back at them.

• Funny
Reactions: Statefan10

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
This is random, but does anybody know who prints the shirts for the girls and boys state tournaments?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Every Cyclones favorite player is on at 11:15. Norwalk is playing and we can all get the Bowen Born thread going. haha

Had a Norwalk fan sitting behind me at the Camanche/Monticello game this morning. We had a good chat about Born. I didn't stay to watch Norwalk play; had to get back to work.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

They've got to do something. If they can't get the cost thing figured out, I'm all for a wrestling style stall warning/penalty inside the last 2-3 minutes. If the refs feels you aren't making an effort to try to score you get a warning and if you continue after that you get a bench technical. I really don't want to leave more to a ref's discretion, but they have to do something.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stormin

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Had a Norwalk fan sitting behind me at the Camanche/Monticello game this morning. We had a good chat about Born. I didn't stay to watch Norwalk play; had to get back to work.

My Indians won that game, but have a tough out next game against Boyden-Hull.

Random question but why are the Hulls (Boyden-Hull and western Christian Hull) so good every year?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Yep, it was Valley that did that. Literally held the ball the entire OT period.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep, it was Valley that did that. Literally held the ball the entire OT period.
Yeah I thought so.. It's a matter of time before the shot clock ends up in Iowa high school basketball. I think one of the only negatives is paying for the shot clocks / installing them around the state, as well as having to pay someone to run them.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I played against Boyden Hull when I was in high school and their entire starting lineup was like 6'1" and up. When you are talking 1A hoops, thats not even fair! They gave us the proverbial oven both times we played them. The Newell Fonda girls program is even more impressive. Those are some really tiny towns but they have some hell a good players every single year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah I thought so.. It's a matter of time before the shot clock ends up in Iowa high school basketball. I think one of the only negatives is paying for the shot clocks / installing them around the state, as well as having to pay someone to run them.

Yep, I would say 1A and 2A schools are the ones that have prevented in from happening. The IAHSAA makes a ton of money every single year, surely they can find a way to help offset the cost for the small schools.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep, I would say 1A and 2A schools are the ones that have prevented in from happening. The IAHSAA makes a ton of money every single year, surely they can find a way to help offset the cost for the small schools.
You would definitely think so. Especially for something that is so critical when it comes to the game of basketball. It's used at every single level above high school.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

I think for some schools finding help to run it might be as big of an issue than paying for it. People in my area are pretty quick to donate money, but not so much time.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron