Iowa getting worked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Major Conference Surety: Be in the Top 50
Major Conference schools with Top 50 RPIs have fared very well on Selection Sunday. All 22 schools that had an RPI between 31 and 40 were awarded At-Large bids. Only two Major Conference schools (Ole Miss in 2008 and Ohio State in 2008 who had RPIs of 48 and 49 respectively) have missed the Tournament with Top 50 RPIs. This means that 92% (23 of 25) Major Conference schools with an RPI between 41 and 50 have gone dancing - and all of them in the last four years have received bids.

Major Conference Gamblers: 51 to 60
There is a clear delineation between the 50th and 51st spot in the RPI for Major Conference schools. After the Top 50, only 51.8% (14 of 27) schools have received At-Large invitations. Most famously, Virginia Tech has been shut out twice (2008 and 2010) with an RPI of 52. In 2012, Mississippi (RPI 57) was the highest ranked Major Conference school not to receive a tournament bid. Having an RPI in the 50s is a gamble and brings other factors such as strength of schedule and strength of victories into question.
How did they get in?
For Major Conference schools with RPIs between 61 and 70, only 3 out of 24 possible teams (12.5%) have been awarded At-Large bids. In 2009, Arizona was one of the last teams in with an RPI of 62 and a 12-seed in the tournament. The Wildcats then proceeded to defeat 5th-seeded Utah and 13th-seeded Cleveland State en route to the Sweet 16. In 2010, Minnesota with an RPI of 63 was one of the last few teams into the Dance, receiving an 11-seed and falling to Xavier in the first round. Last season, West Virginia was awarded a 10-seed despite and RPI of 64 and subsequently got pounded by Gonzaga in a game that I attended at the CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh. As I already mentioned, USC received a bid in 2011 with an RPI in the 70s, the only team with an RPI over 64 to receive an At-Large bid in the last 5 years.

Iowa State's RPI is top 50, so 92% chance as of today.

Iowa's RPI is 90, no at-large has ever gotten in with that high of an RPI.....

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Why are you so confident that Iowa will go 7-2 in their remaining games??? Do you realize how hard that is to do for any team, let alone the 9th-ranked team in what's widely-accepted as the best conference in basketball?

Only game Iowa got schooled was @Michigan. They've played very well otherwise and could have easily beaten MSU, Indiana, OSU, Minny, Purdue. The schedule really let's up on them now. I think they have a decent team and I think they will look at the schedule and see it is still out there for them. Iowa is salty this year. They aren't world beaters, but they are good enough to finish the way I laid out. I just want to be on record. Hope I am proven wrong.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Major Conference Surety: Be in the Top 50
Major Conference schools with Top 50 RPIs have fared very well on Selection Sunday. All 22 schools that had an RPI between 31 and 40 were awarded At-Large bids. Only two Major Conference schools (Ole Miss in 2008 and Ohio State in 2008 who had RPIs of 48 and 49 respectively) have missed the Tournament with Top 50 RPIs. This means that 92% (23 of 25) Major Conference schools with an RPI between 41 and 50 have gone dancing - and all of them in the last four years have received bids.

Major Conference Gamblers: 51 to 60
There is a clear delineation between the 50th and 51st spot in the RPI for Major Conference schools. After the Top 50, only 51.8% (14 of 27) schools have received At-Large invitations. Most famously, Virginia Tech has been shut out twice (2008 and 2010) with an RPI of 52. In 2012, Mississippi (RPI 57) was the highest ranked Major Conference school not to receive a tournament bid. Having an RPI in the 50s is a gamble and brings other factors such as strength of schedule and strength of victories into question.
How did they get in?
For Major Conference schools with RPIs between 61 and 70, only 3 out of 24 possible teams (12.5%) have been awarded At-Large bids. In 2009, Arizona was one of the last teams in with an RPI of 62 and a 12-seed in the tournament. The Wildcats then proceeded to defeat 5th-seeded Utah and 13th-seeded Cleveland State en route to the Sweet 16. In 2010, Minnesota with an RPI of 63 was one of the last few teams into the Dance, receiving an 11-seed and falling to Xavier in the first round. Last season, West Virginia was awarded a 10-seed despite and RPI of 64 and subsequently got pounded by Gonzaga in a game that I attended at the CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh. As I already mentioned, USC received a bid in 2011 with an RPI in the 70s, the only team with an RPI over 64 to receive an At-Large bid in the last 5 years.

Iowa State's RPI is top 50, so 92% chance as of today.

Iowa's RPI is 90, no at-large has ever gotten in with that high of an RPI.....

That's great. Let's see how the story ends though.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Only game Iowa got schooled was @Michigan. They've played very well otherwise and could have easily beaten MSU, Indiana, OSU, Minny, Purdue. The schedule really let's up on them now. I think they have a decent team and I think they will look at the schedule and see it is still out there for them. Iowa is salty this year. They aren't world beaters, but they are good enough to finish the way I laid out. I just want to be on record. Hope I am proven wrong.

we'll wait and see. As a note, the minimum RPI Iowa will need is in the 61-70 range. I can't see wins against Nebraska, Purdue, Penn St., NW, etc. giving them the necessary boost to jump 20 more spots.

02-06 at Wisconsin 14-7 (5-3)52 58-71 L - Scouting
02-09 Northwestern 12-10 (3-6)83 76-67 W - Scouting
02-14 at Penn St. 8-13 (0-9)179 71-69 W - Scouting
02-17 Minnesota 16-5 (4-4)10 71-72 L - Scouting
02-21 at Nebraska 11-11 (2-7)81 68-75 L - Scouting
02-27 Purdue 11-10 (4-4)116 77-65 W - Scouting
03-02 at Indiana 19-2 (7-1)14 65-86 L - Scouting
03-05 Illinois 14-7 (2-6)35 75-68 W - Scouting
03-09 Nebraska 11-11 (2-7)81 76-66 W - Scouting

Iowa's gonna have to pray that Minnesota and Illinois stay high.

D

DistrictCyclone

And the only team they've schooled has been Northwestern (basketball powerhouse!). I wouldn't even bet on a world-beater to finish 7-3 in the Big Ten, and I certainly wouldn't count on a team whose only claim to fame is losing close games to do it.

Look at the college basketball standings and see how many teams are sitting at 7-3 or better in conference play right now. Iowa is not among their ranks, nor will they be.

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
My gawd the squawks are a joke. I am still betting they find a way to lose at Nebraska later this year.
Of course we are-still better than the clones-oh, I know, if we played now you"d kill us...... Blah,blah,blah-and you'd be at the bottom of the big ten this year also. No joke.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Of course we are-still better than the clones-oh, I know, if we played now you"d kill us...... Blah,blah,blah-and you'd be at the bottom of the big ten this year also. No joke.

if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I forgot that the Big 10 is the best conference of all time. You are probably a firm believer that the Phoenix Suns would finish at the bottom of the Big 10. Have fun bragging about playing in the Big 10. I sure wouldn't brag about that 3-6 Big 10 record.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

So you look at that abortion and see "salty"?
Take a break from laying out a case for a ****** BB team to not be considered a ****** BB team.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
So you look at that abortion and see "salty"?
Take a break from laying out a case for a ****** BB team to not be considered a ****** BB team.

If you really think Iowa is a ****** bball team, then you don't know basketball.

And if Iowa is ******, what does that make ISU? Since, you know, Iowa is the better team.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If you really think Iowa is a ****** bball team, then you don't know basketball.

And if Iowa is ******, what does that make ISU? Since, you know, Iowa is the better team.

I'm not falling for your troll tricks Split, No i won't.

D

DistrictCyclone

Trolling, you're just not very good at it.

D

DistrictCyclone

Yes you will, this is round three of trolling this thread.

And, seeing as how it's the super bowl and I'm 6 beers in, I'm ready to roll.

Also, 80-71 or some such like that.

We're happy to have been the highlight of your season. I'm sure the memory will sustain you until this year's super bowl.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is more than all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.