Iowa Football: The Fake ID of College Football

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
The excuse now is that they have to get rid of ISU in order to play these games also falls on def ears. They've had 4 OOC games every year until what last year or this year. No excuse.
And they rarely needed an excuse.
In 2016 no other P5 team, bad 3 game Non-Con
In 2015 they played P5 team Pitt
In 2014 they played P5 team Pitt
In 2013 no other P5 team, bad Non-Con
In 2012 no other P5 team, bad Non-Con
In 2011 they played P5 team Pitt
In 2010 they played P5 team Arizona
In 2009 they played P5 team Arizona
In 2008 they played P5 team Pitt (After Mizzu backed out of 4 year contract)
In 2007 they played P5 team Syracuse (After Mizzu backed out of 4 year contract)
In 2006 they played P5 team Syracuse (After Mizzu backed out of 4 year contract)
In 2005 no other P5 team, bad 3 game Non-Con (After Mizzu backed out of 4 year contract)
In 2004 they played P5 team Arizona State, 3 game Non-Con
In 2003 they played P5 team Arizona State

So since 2003, they've only played 1 P5 team 4 times, once being out of their hands after Mizzu backed out of their contract.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
"Iowa plays in bowl games they don't deserve".
Capt. Kirk laughed all the way to the bank on that line.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The excuse now is that they have to get rid of ISU in order to play these games also falls on def ears. They've had 4 OOC games every year until what last year or this year. No excuse.

When they've had four games to work with the schedule has been fine. They have scheduled home and aways with Pitt twice, Syracuse, Arizona, and Arizona St. The Big 10 schedule is out of their control.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
When they've had four games to work with the schedule has been fine. They have scheduled home and aways with Pitt twice, Syracuse, Arizona, and Arizona St. The Big 10 schedule is out of their control.

I can think of at least 4 times they didn't schedule home and aways with P5 teams outside the ISU game

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Then you would get exposed. That's the problem

Not true, Iowa has played Pitt and similar type programs a lot in the KF era.

1-1 against ASU
1-1 against Arizona
3-1 against Pitt
2-0 against Syracuse
Mizzou was locked in for 4 games but backed out

That is at least 10 years where Iowa played 2 P5 teams in the OOC.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I can think of at least 4 times they didn't schedule home and aways with P5 teams outside the ISU game

How many P5 teams, other than Iowa, has ISU played OOC the last 20 years?

I honestly dont know...FSU is the one that immediately comes to mind.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Both schools like it, too, whether they'd openly admit it or not. It'll be pretty tough to make it disappear again, and if it does, the public will be angry about it.

Yup, any fan who wants this game to go away is an idiot. Any Iowa fan who says they want it gone is someone thinking even more highly of Iowa than they deserve, I know Iowa fans who believe that if we were to not play this game with them, then ISU would fade away into nothing. Some of them believe they are important to ISU as a program. And they hate making excuses when we beat them.

ISU fans who want it to go away are even worse. They truly believe that we'll add some other team that we can beat easily. Hell, we struggle to beat UNI when we even can beat them. And every other OOC game we play is just as big of a nightmare for us.

This game helps both schools. It's a P5 match up between two different conferences. It doesn't get the attention that Bama/Auburn or Florida/FSU gets, but it certainly puts us up there as a game to watch that weekend when everyone else is playing scrub teams. It's good for the state and it's good for the Ames and IC when the games are in those towns.

ISU's biggest problem is they are still too scared to just go ahead and buy out those visits we have to make to other schools during our OOC. It's a joke that we have to travel to Toledo Northern Illinois or any other school like that. We should always be playing the other 2 OOC games at home.

If you want to bump an Iowa team off the schedule, do it to UNI. Although, with them usually being a quality opponent, it's probably good to shake the dust off against them. There is no excuse for not beating them and it probably brings more fans to JTS than playing Ohio U. would.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yup, any fan who wants this game to go away is an idiot. Any Iowa fan who says they want it gone is someone thinking even more highly of Iowa than they deserve, I know Iowa fans who believe that if we were to not play this game with them, then ISU would fade away into nothing. Some of them believe they are important to ISU as a program. And they hate making excuses when we beat them.

ISU fans who want it to go away are even worse. They truly believe that we'll add some other team that we can beat easily. Hell, we struggle to beat UNI when we even can beat them. And every other OOC game we play is just as big of a nightmare for us.

This game helps both schools. It's a P5 match up between two different conferences. It doesn't get the attention that Bama/Auburn or Florida/FSU gets, but it certainly puts us up there as a game to watch that weekend when everyone else is playing scrub teams. It's good for the state and it's good for the Ames and IC when the games are in those towns.

ISU's biggest problem is they are still too scared to just go ahead and buy out those visits we have to make to other schools during our OOC. It's a joke that we have to travel to Toledo Northern Illinois or any other school like that. We should always be playing the other 2 OOC games at home.

If you want to bump an Iowa team off the schedule, do it to UNI. Although, with them usually being a quality opponent, it's probably good to shake the dust off against them. There is no excuse for not beating them and it probably brings more fans to JTS than playing Ohio U. would.

I want to get rid of the Iowa game and schedule a really easy game or schedule an SEC team that we'll get credit for beating. Playing a mediocre team from a bad conference doesn't really do much for me and honestly it brings out the worst in a lot of people

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
And the BIG conference leadership wants the unbalanced schedule...they can work it so that some of the teams play a schedule that facilitates having at least 2 schools each year being in the national championship discussion. The Big 12 can't do that...each team plays each other every year...only 1 is going to survive and be in the discussion (and even that doesn't guarantee a team in the playoffs). That is a critical vulnerability of a 10 team conference...

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

Has actually only happened three times. I would bet that is a pretty good track record compared to most other P5 schools.

• Agree
Reactions: ICHawk24

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
But you can remember how many times Iowa hasn't played another P5 team other than ISU in the last 15 or so years?

That's odd. Not surprising, but odd.

In 2016 no other P5 team, bad 3 game Non-Con
In 2015 they played P5 team Pitt
In 2014 they played P5 team Pitt
In 2013 no other P5 team, bad Non-Con
In 2012 no other P5 team, bad Non-Con
In 2011 they played P5 team Pitt
In 2010 they played P5 team Arizona
In 2009 they played P5 team Arizona
In 2008 they played P5 team Pitt (After Mizzu backed out of 4 year contract)
In 2007 they played P5 team Syracuse (After Mizzu backed out of 4 year contract)
In 2006 they played P5 team Syracuse (After Mizzu backed out of 4 year contract)
In 2005 no other P5 team, bad 3 game Non-Con (After Mizzu backed out of 4 year contract)
In 2004 they played P5 team Arizona State, 3 game Non-Con
In 2003 they played P5 team Arizona State

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Sorry, but I had to put this string of messages together.

How many P5 teams, other than Iowa, has ISU played OOC the last 20 years?

I honestly dont know...FSU is the one that immediately comes to mind.

I have no idea

giphy.gif

RIP

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

This is where I will actually cut Iowa some slack. The B1G needs to put their future schedule out for the next 8 years or so with the option to change if realignment comes up. This would allow teams to add a game to their schedule when they have what is predicted to be a soft schedule. One or two teams in the West will have a perceived favorable schedule almost every year due to the cross over game and this would help offset that.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I want to get rid of the Iowa game and schedule a really easy game or schedule an SEC team that we'll get credit for beating. Playing a mediocre team from a bad conference doesn't really do much for me and honestly it brings out the worst in a lot of people

It brings out the worst in a few in the vocal minority. You certainly don't help by constantly egging them on in the rivalry board. :D No matter who we schedule, until things improve, there is no such thing as an easy game. And it's doubtful we would have a better shot at beating any SEC team than beating Iowa. Plus, with Iowa's fake ID, a win against them does look good on our score sheet at the end of the year.

As I said above, if we want to get rid of an in-state game, it should be UNI. Not just because it's UNI, but I despise playing FCS teams. We don't have any better chance of beating them than we do Iowa and it doesn't help our resume at all, if we ever were to have a good season. Plus, it makes our schedule boring as hell playing the same 11 teams every year. So if I could get on board with dropping Iowa, UNI would have to immediately go as well.

Reactions: WalkingCY