Iowa Football Schedule per 247

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
247Sports posted a new article discussing the game that each top 25 team will have "circled." They describe Iowa's schedule as "brutal." How in the world do these writers come up with these opinions? Logic would suggest that the difficulty of every teams' schedule is relative to the strength of that team. The Hawks will likely be favored in 8 of 12 games, possibly 9 depending on Wisconsin. Brutal? Hardly.

Now Kansas has a brutal schedule. They will maybe be favored in 2 games out of 12. How would you like to play a schedule like that? As a player or coach at Kansas, you look at your schedule and think, "Oh no, this is going to be brutal!" I wonder if you could realistically call the schedule for any top 25 team as brutal. Very few, if any.

I guess they write articles that way in order to appease their readers. The last thing you want to say is, "Most of these teams will pretty much have a cakewalk to 8 wins."

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...-25-team-has-circled-2020-schedule-144618889/

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Once a decade, you have to travel to Columbus for a game. Brutal.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
247Sports posted a new article discussing the game that each top 25 team will have "circled." They describe Iowa's schedule as "brutal." How in the world do these writers come up with these opinions? Logic would suggest that the difficulty of every teams' schedule is relative to the strength of that team. The Hawks will likely be favored in 8 of 12 games, possibly 9 depending on Wisconsin. Brutal? Hardly.

Now Kansas has a brutal schedule. They will maybe be favored in 2 games out of 12. How would you like to play a schedule like that? As a player or coach at Kansas, you look at your schedule and think, "Oh no, this is going to be brutal!" I wonder if you could realistically call the schedule for any top 25 team as brutal. Very few, if any.

I guess they write articles that way in order to appease their readers. The last thing you want to say is, "Most of these teams will pretty much have a cakewalk to 8 wins."

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...-25-team-has-circled-2020-schedule-144618889/
It's all relative but there's no point of bringing up terrible team's schedules because no one gives a crap about them. LSU last year had an extremely difficult schedule, even though they were favored in those games. Being favored by 1.5 points is far different than being a 12.5 point favorite.

And Iowa does look to have a pretty tough schedule next year at this moment. These writers are probably expecting Minnesota to be up again, Nebraska to finally take that leap forward, and for teams like NW, ILL, Purdue to be alright. Iowa starts out the year playing UNI and then ISU at home and those are going to be two tough games, one of them against a probable ranked opponent. After the following NIU game, Iowa then gets MSU at home, and then plays @ Penn State and @ Ohio State. That schedule isn't easy by any means lol.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa's schedule was a cake walk last year and I assume it will be again this year

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
And Iowa does look to have a pretty tough schedule next year at this moment. These writers are probably expecting Minnesota to be up again, Nebraska to finally take that leap forward, and for teams like NW, ILL, Purdue to be alright. Iowa starts out the year playing UNI and then ISU at home and those are going to be two tough games, one of them against a probable ranked opponent. After the following NIU game, Iowa then gets MSU at home, and then plays @ Penn State and @ Ohio State. That schedule isn't easy by any means lol.

Always love it when there's a fresh dusting of hope in Lincoln.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
3 teams with winning records out of 7. That's brutal.

• Agree
Reactions: Stewo

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Are you sure this wasn't a marching band article? They understand the definition of brutal.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Iowa's schedule does actually look tough next year. Iowa State, at Minnesota, at Ohio State, at Penn State, at Illinois (maybe not bad), Wisconsin. Plus I wouldn't be on Northwestern being bad 2 years in a row.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha

Can't agree with this at all. Illinois 6-7 (4-5 conference), Nebraska 5-7 (3-6 conference), Purdue 4-8 (3-6 conference) and NW 3-9 (1-8 conference). I hardly call those teams alright. Certainly not competitive with Iowa. And you must not have seen the Nebraska AD recently said they will have at least two more years of rebuilding before you should expect anything. Michigan State lost their coach and they were down anyway, they won't be putting up much of a fight.

I guess it might be fair to say in comparison to Iowa's usual schedule, having those three road games (at Minnesota, at Ohio State and at Penn State) is about the biggest challenge they have faced since..... well, I can't even remember.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Can't agree with this at all. Illinois 6-7 (4-5 conference), Nebraska 5-7 (3-6 conference), Purdue 4-8 (3-6 conference) and NW 3-9 (1-8 conference). I hardly call those teams alright. Certainly not competitive with Iowa. And you must not have seen the Nebraska AD recently said they will have at least two more years of rebuilding before you should expect anything. Michigan State lost their coach and they were down anyway, they won't be putting up much of a fight.

I guess it might be fair to say in comparison to Iowa's usual schedule, having those three road games (at Minnesota, at Ohio State and at Penn State) is about the biggest challenge they have faced since..... well, I can't even remember.
I wasn't saying those first teams are going to be good. They all had poor years last year (outside of Illinois). I was saying that the writers may be thinking Purdue, NW and Nebraska will be better than last year, which wouldn't be hard to do. IF those teams are better Iowa's schedule would no doubt be tough.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron