Iowa Football Recruiting

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Serious question, what was the question? Was that clarified anywhere?

“Here is the question for the coaches to answer in preparation for our meeting,” Porter wrote. “What is your role in creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive (DEI) environment and what have you done to help foster that environment?”

• Informative
Reactions: 7Got6

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
“Here is the question for the coaches to answer in preparation for our meeting,” Porter wrote. “What is your role in creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive (DEI) environment and what have you done to help foster that environment?”

That seems like a very fair and understandable question for that committee to ask coaches faced with Iowa’s situation last summer.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and Gonzo

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That seems like a very fair and understandable question for that committee to ask coaches faced with Iowa’s situation last summer.
No, a fair question would have been, how have the minority communities misunderstood and twisted what you have said to try to make you look bad?

Do I need the pirate?

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I would have loved more follow up on changes being made specifically. Local media again failing or not getting follow-ups. If there’s evidence that KF has been ignoring requests he needs to go.

Doesn’t the fact that Kirk was trying to push any work off until later and was letting the coaches he is in charge of just blow off responsibilities to the committee that was a cornerstone to the “changes” give you a pretty good grasp of how seriously Kirk takes changing the atmosphere?

• Dumb
Reactions: Halincandenza

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Thanks, more than fair, and certainly should have a well prepared answer for that.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Doesn’t the fact that Kirk was trying to push any work off until later and was letting the coaches he is in charge of just blow off responsibilities to the committee that was a cornerstone to the “changes” give you a pretty good grasp of how seriously Kirk takes changing the atmosphere?
Certainly agree if there’s been no work done in the area. Inexcusable really. It’s either bad PR, poor communication, or flat out not getting it. I’d like hear the full details certainly before rushing to judgment but it’s poor leadership at minimum.

• Agree
Reactions: DhaCheann

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would like to think the local media is trying to get multiple quotes from sources on the committee to tell their side but I’m not optimistic considering how this has been covered from the beginning. But it’s a bad look regardless.

Lomax’s quote about Porter going rogue should be enough for anyone to show pause on this story.
The local media is a joke and will not show Kirk as the villain no matter what he does. He’ll always be portrayed in a way that shifts blame and the crazy thing is that when all of this went down in 2020 he was even portrayed as the hero that was going to lead Iowa through these issues.

It’s pathetic.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Certainly agree if there’s been no work done in the area. Inexcusable really. It’s either bad PR, poor communication, or flat out not getting it. I’d like hear the full details certainly before rushing to judgment but it’s poor leadership at minimum.
Of course these guys don’t get it. First of all they don’t even believe they did anything wrong! And that not only stems from their own opinions in everything but also because there was ZERO accountability made towards the staff that was actively involved. If you’re dog keeps pissing on the carpet you don’t pat them on the head and tell them “you’re okay you’ll figure it out good boy.” You shove their nose in it.

Kirk, Brian, and others involved were patted on the head by the athletic department and the local media. And the cherry on top is Kirk gets a raise and an extension. We’re not even two years removed from 70 players coming out with allegations and Kirk has already received a huge extension lol. Guys, it’s a bad bad look.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
it never was. But the players are only there for a short time.

Kirk and Brian are not there for a short time, and they are Iowa football. The coach establishes the culture, and the program is actually theirs.

no one called it Breece Hall’s program, or Georges Niang’s program. It was the coaches program.

You get to see, yet again, what hoping for change in the Iowa football program really means. So if you can still root for them, then you are saying you accept what has and will continue to happen there.

again, just own that. The players that roll through there, are there to try to get to the nfl, just like you went to college to prepare for your career. The football program is owned lock stock and barrel by Kirk ferentz. Supporting Iowa football means you support Kirk ferentz.

Same stupid ****, different day. Man your schtick gets old. You might be the first person I put on ignore and you're a ISU fan.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Of course these guys don’t get it. First of all they don’t even believe they did anything wrong! And that not only stems from their own opinions in everything but also because there was ZERO accountability made towards the staff that was actively involved. If you’re dog keeps pissing on the carpet you don’t pat them on the head and tell them “you’re okay you’ll figure it out good boy.” You shove their nose in it.

Kirk, Brian, and others involved were patted on the head by the athletic department and the local media. And the cherry on top is Kirk gets a raise and an extension. We’re not even two years removed from 70 players coming out with allegations and Kirk has already received a huge extension lol. Guys, it’s a bad bad look.

How many different bad looks have there been in Kirk’s 22 years? The rape cover up, low income housing, rhabdo, those are all things that would bring most coaches down.

when they happened, kirk sneered at the media in defiance, threatened to remove their access, and they backed down. Of course, it helps him that most of the state media covering Iowa are huge hawk fans.

but he’s never been held accountable

he’s the most powerful man in the state of Iowa. He’s literally bullet proof in this state. That entire university bends to his will.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
How many different bad looks have there been in Kirk’s 22 years? The rape cover up, low income housing, rhabdo, those are all things that would bring most coaches down.

when they happened, kirk sneered at the media in defiance, threatened to remove their access, and they backed down. Of course, it helps him that most of the state media covering Iowa are huge hawk fans.

but he’s never been held accountable

he’s the most powerful man in the state of Iowa. He’s literally bullet proof in this state. That entire university bends to his will.
Yep and 99% of Iowa fans don’t care because there hasn’t been accountability from the AD or the local media. When there’s no accountability, it seems like nothing went wrong. It’s like the independent investigation.. They literally found racial inequalities on multiple levels but because nothing was done, Iowa fans believe it wasn’t as big of a deal as it really was.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Yep and 99% of Iowa fans don’t care because there hasn’t been accountability from the AD or the local media. When there’s no accountability, it seems like nothing went wrong. It’s like the independent investigation.. They literally found racial inequalities on multiple levels but because nothing was done, Iowa fans believe it wasn’t as big of a deal as it really was.

Actually they believe that they “fired” Doyle, and he was the only racist, and kirk didn’t know anything about how his program was being run.

They really think he doesn’t know anything about his best friend

Of course, they also believed that he didn’t know where Brian lived while he played for him either.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Our coaches just hosted their "junior day" for recruiting. (Side note: the event took place in the new performance center and I loved how the first thing the recruits and their parents saw when they walked into the building was a big "Welcome Home" sign with the Trice stripes.) You can watch a brief clip of Campbell standing in front of all the recruits and their families and telling them there has never been a better time to enter into the culture of our program, and he told the recruits they should be focusing now on the things that don't require talent, like working as hard as possible when nobody is watching.

It made me wonder what Ferentz must say when he gets up and speaks at Iowa's junior day. Does he avoid the elephant in the room and just hope nobody has the courage to bring up the racism topic, or does he address it head on? If I had to bet, I would guess it's the former.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Can you imagine if ISU would have kept Eustachy after what happened? The pro hok media would have had a field day.
Enter the racism story for the beloved Hok football team. It's nothing but crickets with the Hok media machine.

Can you imagine the response if any of the different allegations that have been made at Kirk over the years happened in Ames?

if you found out Matt Campbell promoted a racist culture, with multiple staff and coaches being so egregious they had permanent letters in their hr file, would you want him to be the coach at Iowa State? Do you think he’d survive?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Nah, I've known kids that have gone through the program and know a few who are on the team now or will be next year, one from my daughter's HS and one who's the kid of wifey's friend. Not turning my back on them or the others, always going to support the players.
[/QUOTE]
I respect your position. I understand it. Moral conundrum for sure. I think the tough question to be asked: is supporting them giving Kirk the latitude to further an unhealthy culture for the very kids you support.

I am not slinging arrows at you on this anymore. It is a tough position and now that I understand your position I wont' beat a dead horse with you. It is an incredibly challenging moral dilemma.

Reactions: cyputz

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Can you imagine the response if any of the different allegations that have been made at Kirk over the years happened in Ames?

if you found out Matt Campbell promoted a racist culture, with multiple staff and coaches being so egregious they had permanent letters in their hr file, would you want him to be the coach at Iowa State? Do you think he’d survive?
Our PR strategy could follow UI's: But Jack Trice Field and a sticker on Helmet that support America Needs Another Lawyer. You can shorten that up how you want. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron