Iowa Football Recruiting

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My goodness everyone.. A good offense and a good defense can play bad. It’s allowed lol. Also, I’ve never understood wanting to downplay another quality team. Like I hate Iowa, but if we beat em, I’m not gonna say “we beat a team that sucked on both sides of the ball”. Unless it’s an absolute bloodbath.

I’d rather say Iowa’s defense is good and we put “x” number of points up on that defense. It makes the team i root for look better.

Also, to both Iowa and ISU fans pertaining to the last time we played. Our offense was very 1 dimensional at that point of the year. We couldn’t run the ball and didn’t have a back break out yet. Iowa knew that and smothered us when we got into the red zone. That’s a fact. This upcoming year will be much much different. There happens to be a Heisman contending RB in our backfield.

Nate STANley

Feb 4, 2021
My goodness everyone.. A good offense and a good defense can play bad. It’s allowed lol. Also, I’ve never understood wanting to downplay another quality team. Like I hate Iowa, but if we beat em, I’m not gonna say “we beat a team that sucked on both sides of the ball”. Unless it’s an absolute bloodbath.

I’d rather say Iowa’s defense is good and we put “x” number of points up on that defense. It makes the team i root for look better.

Also, to both Iowa and ISU fans pertaining to the last time we played. Our offense was very 1 dimensional at that point of the year. We couldn’t run the ball and didn’t have a back break out yet. Iowa knew that and smothered us when we got into the red zone. That’s a fact. This upcoming year will be much much different. There happens to be a Heisman contending RB in our backfield.
I’ve said it a couple times, Iowa will need to be +2 in the turnover margin to win that game

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’ve said it a couple times, Iowa will need to be +2 in the turnover margin to win that game
I think you may be right, but we’ll just wait and see. I honestly don’t know how good Iowa will be. If they’re just average to above average this year and Iowa State is indeed a top-10 team, Iowa’s going need some help.

• Agree
Reactions: Nate STANley

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015

I mean part of the 1-D nature of our offense was the MONSOON which struck multiple times throughout that marathon of a game... certainly appeared to help when EIU D was on their heels, teams left for the locker room and clear scheme adjustments were made. Props to them for taking advantage and making the changes, but lets not act like there weren't portions of that game where Hok D looked lost.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I think you may be right, but we’ll just wait and see. I honestly don’t know how good Iowa will be. If they’re just average to above average this year and Iowa State is indeed a top-10 team, Iowa’s going need some help.
This is not an attempt to needle but I would say the Hawks definitely need to continue to be better on special teams than the Clones. It obviously has played a big part in the series and seems like it tends to be the Clones achilles heal. Hawks will struggle mightily with Hall IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I mean part of the 1-D nature of our offense was the MONSOON which struck multiple times throughout that marathon of a game... certainly appeared to help when EIU D was on their heels, teams left for the locker room and clear scheme adjustments were made. Props to them for taking advantage and making the changes, but lets not act like there weren't portions of that game where Hok D looked lost.
not this again

Reactions: ClockHawk69

ClockHawk69

Mar 18, 2021
Iowa
Do you know the difference between a 5 tech and a 3 tech. Between a head up nose and a weakside A-gap 3 tech. Playing Dline at ISU is far more demanding, asked to stand up their blocker with power, control two gaps, and must shed to fill on either side. Iowa is a 3 tech single gap, asked to maintain gap side leverage on only one side. Rarely they have a nixon or Mike Jones who actually has talent and they can shoot that gap to disrupt.

The star position is asked to do everything on the field from run fits in the box to bailing to deep centerfield. ISU baits with their base cloud and then disguises with rolls and replacements. They run the corner blitz and delayed blitzes all 5 DB spots. Iowa's corners are asked to sit on the short to intermediate routes and run with deep routes knowing they always have help over the top. Iowa's safeties play a glorified tip drill and simply have to rake in easy tips and drops from the hook curl and seam zone in the middle and play robber on the outside with help underneath and rake in overthrows when they undoubtedly occur in the big ten west.

It's Shameless. I would certainly be ashamed to run that trash for 20 years.
You haven’t watched much Iowa football lately. This isn’t the old Norm Parker defense. Instead of running the old 4-3-4, it is now a 4-2-5. The d-line is still the same one gap defense, but there is much more rotation on it then there used to be. Essentially, you must be able to play all 4 spots on the line at Iowa if you want PT. Sure there are exceptions like Nixon, VV, and others who are too big or small to move inside or out, but for the most part, most of the guys on the Iowa d-line can play all 4 spots. The secondary at Iowa is what makes this defense work. You essentially need to be able to play 5 different sets of coverage: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and even some sets of bracket coverage. Plus, the past two years have seen more blitzes come from Iowa, including a weak side cash blitz with 1 LB coming up the middle. The star is tough at ISU? Well so is the cash at Iowa. The cash is essentially asked to do every single thing on the field. Blitz? Yep. Great in coverage? For sure. Good against the run? Must be. Both defenses are hard to run, and I’d say ISU is a bit more difficult, but that isn’t what defines a DC.

ClockHawk69

Mar 18, 2021
Iowa
If you can’t make proper adjustments, you won’t win. And let’s not act like there weren’t portions of the game where the ISU offense looked totally lost.

• Agree
Reactions: frackincygy

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
This is not an attempt to needle but I would say the Hawks definitely need to continue to be better on special teams than the Clones. It obviously has played a big part in the series and seems like it tends to be the Clones achilles heal. Hawks will struggle mightily with Hall IMO.

I don’t think you will get much hostility needling our kicking game. They return our kicker and still added 2 more kickers, if that isn’t a sign it wasn’t a satisfactory unit I don’t know what is.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep I would agree. I’d also add that special teams has been our Achilles heal in a ton of games the past few years. Have to be a plus or an even against good teams in order to consistently win.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

<<Do you even know what you’re saying? Because it sounds like you don’t watch football. Just because Heacock runs a bunch of different sets, doesn’t make him better. Doyle was better at developing talent, and he’s one of the best in the country at developing DB’s. Heacock is good, but he isn’t better than Phil.>>

Fixed your FIFY for you. :cool:

Reactions: RezClone