Iowa Football Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
they are sophomores. Who the hell knows? I think they are both good backs. Hall averaged 4.7 ypc and Goodson averaged 4.6. Don't think I'd state a claim that either one is remarkably better than the other.
Not sure that you ever made the claim one was far better than the other either, but that doesn't mean you can't answer the question

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Not sure that you ever made the claim one was far better than the other either, but that doesn't mean you can't answer the question
I did never state that one was better than the other. I think they are fairly comparable and only time will tell. I think that sounds reasonable.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I didn't say he was so draftable. It's a running joke, because @cyclone4L is a self proclaimed expert talent evaluator. To answer your question, I would have Hall drafted before Goodson right now. Ask me again in January.

As for the other Hawks, Linderbaum is the best NFL prospect in the state.
It's all obviously can change, but I just don't think Goodson has the size. The overage NFL Rb is 6' and 215lbs. Not saying it's not possible it just would seem he has the size difference to make up which can be a challenge

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
He averaged like 0 yards a carry in the game I watched, so probably not in a position to make the call. Sounds like a good player, has some pretty good stats. As far as Goodson, who knows. If he keeps improving I could see a mid to late round pickup down the road, not much different than the potential from most starters at upper P5 teams. It's a little funny to be talking draft positions after true freshman seasons, but I digress.

Neither has shown me the flashes needed to cement then as a unanimous top 11 draft pick though.
I would bet none of them will be that high. Probably second round at best

STC061693

Apr 23, 2020
Disagree with both of that. Sargent is just plain bad. Kene is at least fast
Yeah and Sargent can run through tackles and not go down on the first hit. I’m not saying he’s great but he’s a capable back up. I personally would rather have Toren Young as the number two back. He was freaking huge and strong and never fumbled. He and Goodson would have made a hell of a duo.

STCoach

Sep 16, 2020
Well if he’s to be better then Ferentz through 52, he might as well win the Big 12 this year and have only one loss because that’s what Ferentz did in his 4th year. But we all know Campbell won’t do that.

This is Campbell's 5th year at ISU.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Well if he’s to be better then Ferentz through 52, he might as well win the Big 12 this year and have only one loss because that’s what Ferentz did in his 4th year. But we all know Campbell won’t do that.
This is Campbell’s 5th season I believe. That would have been the comparison for last year. This comparison would only need to be a 10 win Top 10 season.

Reactions: SlowStarts

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I mean, Twins (and quite a few others) thought ISU had 3/5 of the best OL last year, so not sure if you're right there. But then again, he also thought Darren Wilson might be on the All-Iowa team as well, so....

Knipfel was outstanding as a Junior. Thinking he played hurt as a Senior. JGJ had his moments. The other two were definitely average.

Downing, Ramos and Treiber are going to be special. Downing and Newell are already solid. My guess if Hufford becomes the fifth stater next year.

• Optimistic
Reactions: STCoach

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Knipfel was outstanding as a Junior. Thinking he played hurt as a Senior. JGJ had his moments. The other two were definitely average.

Downing, Ramos and Treiber are going to be special. Downing and Newell are already solid. My guess if Hufford becomes the fifth stater next year.
Good summary. If there is one thing I've learned is that there is never a shortage of young future studs on the OL for ISU.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Good summary. If there is one thing I've learned is that there is never a shortage of young future studs on the OL for ISU.

I thinks it's more we're now getting the right type of guy to develop. Downing was really good last year. Ramos was great in the limited action I saw him play. Treiber was the top player in SD plus he's got a mean streak. Hufford is an Ohio kid where CMC has connections that give him the inside track on under recruited kids.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
I thinks it's more we're now getting the right type of guy to develop. Downing was really good last year. Ramos was great in the limited action I saw him play. Treiber was the top player in SD plus he's got a mean streak. Hufford is an Ohio kid where CMC has connections that give him the inside track on under recruited kids.
Gotcha. The rich get richer.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I didn't say he was so draftable. It's a running joke, because @cyclone4L is a self proclaimed expert talent evaluator. To answer your question, I would have Hall drafted before Goodson right now. Ask me again in January.

As for the other Hawks, Linderbaum is the best NFL prospect in the state.
Charlie Kolar would like a word