Iowa Football Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa just lost a 2022 signee in Olando Trader. Seems like a decent loss. 6'1" 185# CB that runs a sub 11 second 100 meter. I wonder if he ends up at Michigan or Michigan State?

How does this work now that he is already signed? Does he just enter the transfer portal and that's that? If so, why even sign a NLI anymore?

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
No, he asks for a release from LOI. Not a transfer.
It sounds like it’s up to Iowa whether they want him to go the portal route or release him outright. To me, he signed a letter of intent for a reason and he should have to go to the portal route. Otherwise what’s the point in an LOI.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It sounds like it’s up to Iowa whether they want him to go the portal route or release him outright. To me, he signed a letter of intent for a reason and he should have to go to the portal route. Otherwise what’s the point in an LOI.
Bad PR on Iowa’s end if they decline to release him.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
When has anyone ever been concerned about "Bad PR" in Iowa City?
Oh they don’t care about that one bit I was just saying releasing him is a cleaner look and who cares? He’s gonna leave regardless. Might as well not try and punish the kid who’s never played a snap for you.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Oh they don’t care about that one bit I was just saying releasing him is a cleaner look and who cares? He’s gonna leave regardless. Might as well not try and punish the kid who’s never played a snap for you.

Naturally the right thing to do, just never expect the "right thing" to actually happen in IC, even if they claim they do things the "right way".

Reactions: Statefan10

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think it’s more of Iowa has just done it longer where it’s a little more wait and see with Campbell to some people. I am not one of those, I think Campbell is a really good coach. The issue is finding the developable players only gets you so far. At some point you have to land the more premium talent to go to the next level.

I think that with some people, it will always be wait and see with Campbell, because they refuse to give him (and more specifically ISU) any credit. I mean, he's going into his 7th year and has made 5 bowls in a row. He should be beyond wait and see. That said, I don't disagree that if you are going to really challenge for the conference title and the playoff more often than not, you need to sign more than 1-2 four stars per class. ISU did have a "next level" year in 2020, but biased fans will write that off as getting lucky due to the pandemic. Never mind that was a very, very good team with quite a bit of NFL talent.

• Agree
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The LOI is basically pointless other than it takes some work to get released from it. ISU lost a BB player that way under Prohm. If a kid wants out, he's going to get out of it. The school can't force him to go there and not releasing him turns into a mountain of bad PR.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He will be released if he hasn't been already. No schools are going to do that.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Think he is a grad transfer so portal doesn't apply, I believe.
Big hit to a thin receivers group. Kakert tweeted to keep your eyes on Purdue… Makes no sense for Charlie in my opinion. Try and relearn a playbook in a summer?

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Other than Purdue actually uses their WR's
I get that. I just find it hard to believe he’s going to get more balls at Purdue not even knowing the playbook. He very well might. Purdue did lose their top 2 receivers from last year.