2. Young 67.2
3. Naz 69.0
4. Bowie 70.6
5. Babb 77.2
6. Monte 77.8
7. Thomas 79.1
8. Holden 83.3
9. Jackson 86.1

So when I say light years better I mean that our worst defender has a better defense rating than your best defender

giphy.gif

Great Stat.
Don't want to derail the Hok analysis but seeing Burton and Young as ISU post with good defense made me smile.

Cook looked good last night and Jok shot well and just may lead the Big 10 in scoring just due to being their only option and getting a lot of possession due to their poor defense. Other than that I wasn't impressed with any other player and you can't win in a P5 with only 2 threats. Giving up 91 points at home to a also ran team shows there is a lot of improvement needed from some of the other players for them to sniff the tourney.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I didn't remember that it happened after the Michigan game. I remember the game very well, as it acquainted us with melvins middle finger and Mika's gouged eyes, resulting in Kane getting tossed and Monte assuming primary ballhandlong duties for the remainder of the game.

Monte was anything but impressive in his first games. Am I saying Bohannon will end up in the same place? Absolutely not and never did.

Then you should also remember that monte was bad late in that game after Mel and Kane fouled out. It was on the road and byu had lost only 12 home games in 8 years. And we won.

Your memory needs work or you need perspective.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Thats funny right there.
Then you should also remember that monte was bad late in that game after Mel and Kane fouled out. It was on the road and byu had lost only 12 home games in 8 years. And we won.

Your memory needs work or you need perspective.

He spends a ton of time over in the rivals forum on HN. I think they ruined him on the perspective front.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I agree our guys will have their hands full. Young and Holden might both foul out with around 20-25 min combined minutes if Cook plays like he did last night.

With that said, I think our backcourt will create as many mismatches with Iowa's as Seton Hall did last night, so we should still get the W.

We will probably play small ball a lot, but Cook will give us trouble.
Double Cook the second he gets the ball and make him prove himself as a passer.

Then make Jok go left and it's game ovah.

Granted, if we play/shoot like last game it may not matter.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It's always so interesting to me how our fans react to Iowa basketball.

It's clear that we have been the far better program since mad Fran stepped out on the court. They have improved but they have not been as consistently good as Iowa state. Mad Fran has beat Iowa state once. Mad Fran has had one NCAA finish better than us.

But yet every year, our own fans freak the hell out. Iowa is great defensively!! Cook is amazing! Bohanon is basically as good as monte was his freshman year (which is false).

Iowa lost to an ok team at home last night. Not a killer loss, but it's still a loss.
Who is freaking out?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It's always so interesting to me how our fans react to Iowa basketball.

It's clear that we have been the far better program since mad Fran stepped out on the court. They have improved but they have not been as consistently good as Iowa state. Mad Fran has beat Iowa state once. Mad Fran has had one NCAA finish better than us.

But yet every year, our own fans freak the hell out. Iowa is great defensively!! Cook is amazing! Bohanon is basically as good as monte was his freshman year (which is false).

Iowa lost to an ok team at home last night. Not a killer loss, but it's still a loss.
I am confused, Iowa State fans are reacting this way? Because I have only seen 1 poster say 1 of those things and most every Iowa State fan disagreed with him..

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You don't remember the game but you somehow remember the intricacies of how Monte played, impressive.

I get that you have a narrative that you're attempting to sell, but I'm never going to buy it.
Monte was not very good in his first game against one of those UNC-Something teams. He had a quick 2-3 turnovers but settled down. In other words, i suspect Bruce means that if an AA pg like Monte can struggle in his first game, no need to assume Bohannon will never be serviceable because hes struggling.
But holy orange traffic cone, he and Ellingson absolutely could not stay in front of SHs guards at all.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
its been a very fun rivalry game the last few years - much like glen worley always had his career game against us, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if some iowa kid like bohannon played out of his mind - we've seen it before.

would be really cool for matt, monte, and naz to go 4-0 vs the hawks!

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
its been a very fun rivalry game the last few years - much like glen worley always had his career game against us, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if some iowa kid like bohannon played out of his mind - we've seen it before.

would be really cool for matt, monte, and naz to go 4-0 vs the hawks!
Naz would end up 4-1 (lost freshman year)

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think Seton Hall is most-definitely garbage this year. Isaiah Whitehead was all they had last year. Whenever I watched them, it was either he was rolling and so were they, or it was stagnant and hard to watch. You think Madison Jones is going to pick up that production with his, 4.7 career ppg average? No. They're probably a 5 or 6th seed in the Big East, that is not good enough to make a tourney as an At-Large. Tell me how they will beat out Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier, Creighton (even Marquette and St. John' will probably be at their level) Providence is depleted with Bentil and Dunn gone. But there is no way Seton Hall should be thought of as a Tourney team, and beating an Iowa Hawkeye team is not a reason to think any differently.
Seton Hall isn't garbage. Not world beaters but a far cry from garbage.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Monte was not very good in his first game against one of those UNC-Something teams. He had a quick 2-3 turnovers but settled down. In other words, i suspect Bruce means that if an AA pg like Monte can struggle in his first game, no need to assume Bohannon will never be serviceable because hes struggling.
But holy orange traffic cone, he and Ellingson absolutely could not stay in front of SHs guards at all.

Well played Batman! Clearly there is talent on the Iowa team, and while early, it seems clear they will struggle without a true PG. By who they have tried to recruit the past few years, it is clear Fran knows he needs one, despite all his comments that have Hawk fans talking about positionless basketball. When we didn't have an elite PG quickness wise, we snuck through it by having an elite forward that could handle the ball such as Royce. Having Georges and Monte made us much more difficult to press. As Iowa struggles to find roster space for their oversignings this year, who do we believe will get "Franned" as they need to find yet an additional spot for a serviceable point guard? At this point it looks like they need a grad transfer for the PG next year.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I'm going to go ahead and assume it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron