Iowa Basketball Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Fred inherited 3 scholarship players. I don't see that as a better situation than Fran.

This. Fred came into a situation just as bad as Fran if not worse. He just took a gamble on some transfers and it paid off. That jump started the program. Fran chose a more traditional (and less risky) route and it's taken more time. I think Fran is a good coach and iowa should be a bubble team this year in a tough league. But in recruiting, he's unproven. I believe he has yet to develop an NBA player. That definitely hurts him in recruiting, although luckily for him there's enough brainwashed kids in-state that he can just pick up who he wants in-state and roll out an NIT team.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Every year that Iowa doesn't make the NCAA the situation that Fran inherited seems to get worse. If they miss this year it will be compared to when Drew took over Baylor or SMU football after the death penalty.

ISU's situation might have been marginally better at best (arguable) but the turnaround hasn't been comparable. FRED has done better...faster. It's not even close. FRED took the transfer risk. FRED made the NCAA in year 2. And now, FRED is recruiting better. Iowa will be fine but fine is why Tom Davis got "fired".

If Iowa doesn't make the NCAAs this year what can they possibly sell to the 2015 class? This year is beyond huge for Fran. For the record, I think they make the NCAA tournament but if I was a Hawk fan I'd be quite nervous.

Last edited:

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Spends the weekend hanging out with the dorkiest team in D1, immediately commits elsewhere.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
On Rivals, they're saying Fern pulled Lindsey's offer.

They're not clear about whether it was before or after he committed to Collins.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

One guy claimed it and the rest are following along. Pulling an offer on an official visit is beyond strange. Not out of the question but I'm on the "not buying it" side of the fence.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

That surely doesn't sound like the right way at all. All I heard was how high Fran was on this kid too. I'm with Cydkar on this one and I'm not buying it. I think that's their way of coping with striking out with everyone so far

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
That surely doesn't sound like the right way at all. All I heard was how high Fran was on this kid too. I'm with Cydkar on this one and I'm not buying it. I think that's their way of coping with striking out with everyone so far

I've seen this show before.

Now it's get the big kid from Sioux City and let him "learn for a couple years".

I may not know the "right way" but I sure as **** know what the "wrong way" is.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
One guy claimed it and the rest are following along. Pulling an offer on an official visit is beyond strange. Not out of the question but I'm on the "not buying it" side of the fence.

Could be a couple reasons. Maybe he worked out with the team and wasn't as impressive as they thought or maybe the recruit said I just wanted a free visit, the NIT is not in my list of goals.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Could be a couple reasons. Maybe he worked out with the team and wasn't as impressive as they thought or maybe the recruit said I just wanted a free visit, the NIT is not in my list of goals.

I doubt he worked out with the team. A lot of people were blowing up Twitter last night about how much of a steal Northwestern got for getting him. I'm guessing he wasn't impressed with the 7 fans that showed up to the skins/shirts game they put on this weekend.

Bad break for Scott Lindsey, Fenwick - City/Suburban Hoops Report

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
How do you start at 5 when you'd never, ever coached a game?

If you're saying McDoormat left a middle of the road situation, I guess I'll just have to laugh.

I was referring to the situation he came into. At least he had Diante Garrett who is the only player on either team that sniffed the NBA. Iowa was lead by Basabe who was a freshman and Gatens as a soph.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I was referring to the situation he came into. At least he had Diante Garrett who is the only player on either team that sniffed the NBA. Iowa was lead by Basabe who was a freshman and Gatens as a soph.

You mean Basabe when he had his best year as a Hawkeye and the best guy Fran has coached at Iowa in Gatens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron