Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Wagner gone now too. It has begun!

Here's the EIU release... 2 out in one day. Cook 1/2 out testing the NBA waters. Will there be more?

@IowaHoops Ahmad Wagner Granted Release to Pursue Football: http://bit.ly/2GLTE2j // #Hawkeyes

“Ahmad has been a tremendous teammate and an absolute joy to coach the past three seasons. I have no doubt that he will be successful in his pursuit of playing football." Fran McCaffery

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm curious who they'll use the scholarships on. It just seems like Fran can't do any worse filling in holes on his roster so I'm excited to see how he butchers this.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
At least franny has 2 more spots for 6`8 un athletic white guys for the team now. I was worried there for a minute.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If this Iowa team ever became as good or better than ISU on the defensive end, Prohm should be immediately fired and every one of our guys should have their scholarship revoked. I don't think people get just how awful that team was defensively. I think Kenpoms adjusted D ranking was around 250, which unbelievably bad for a P5 team. ISU was a bad defensive team and was more than 100 spots better.

I realize Iowa was really bad, even by ISU standards. I was just saying that Iowa could possibly go to a zone and play zone defense better than ISU, because ISU is just not build to play zone. They do have two of the elements that make a great zone defense, length and height. But if you watch Cuse play defense, there guys are all over the floor, double teaming, jumping in passing lanes etc. Shuffling over to a gap in the zone doesn't get it done.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I realize Iowa was really bad, even by ISU standards. I was just saying that Iowa could possibly go to a zone and play zone defense better than ISU, because ISU is just not build to play zone. They do have two of the elements that make a great zone defense, length and height. But if you watch Cuse play defense, there guys are all over the floor, double teaming, jumping in passing lanes etc. Shuffling over to a gap in the zone doesn't get it done.

Iowa is/was pitifully slow, there is no defense that really works for that.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If you are an Iowa fan, you'd honestly be hoping for it, wouldn't you? I was hoping that they returned with what they had.

It might work to their advantage, but at this point, who is Fran going to get? Maybe there is a decent grad transfer that want to play for a P5 school. Not sure one decent guard is enough to right the ship at this point.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It might work to their advantage, but at this point, who is Fran going to get? Maybe there is a decent grad transfer that want to play for a P5 school. Not sure one decent guard is enough to right the ship at this point.

IMO Iowa's problem in the transfer market is that recruiting those kids has become way more competitive than even 5 years ago. Couple that with not having a history of successfully recruiting transfers and I would say that situation is less than ideal.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Fran recruiting a PG? Lol I can't wait to see what he tries to bring in. On a side note remember we started the "Iowa Basketball Recruiting" thread when Iowa had those two classes back to back and all the Iowa fans talked about how good it was while we mocked it? Who ended up being right on that one? I think they only have 1 kid left now out of those two big classes and that is Moss who sucks anyways

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron