Iowa basketball gets a favorable schedule (again)

IbSvU

Feb 6, 2012
Think about how easy these guys schedules must be

• Two-plays (home and home): Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, PennState

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It took me awhile to figure out why they didn't expect this schedule. I figured they would just play the teams opposite from last year but the unbalanced schedules don't even allow that. Sad really.

• Agree
Reactions: 32Cyclone Fan

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa had better win 22+ games this year or they won't make it with that schedule. As some have said, they likely won't have a single "good road win" to speak of unless they can beat ISU.

Easy schedules can be nice to have, until you're close to the bubble and then don't make the tourney. Or even if you do make the tourney, you end up with a bad seed, also due to not beating anyone.

storycy

Nov 4, 2014
Now granted it was against poor competition (Ohio State and Rutgers) but in the two games Jok sat out last year, Bohannon and Ellingson combined for 16 of 27 shooting from three. I am not yet convinced that they will not be able to get good looks without Jok on the floor. Typically in college sports, people say players make their most improvement between their freshman and sophomore years and Iowa has a ton of players in that category.

They will not be great defensively, but there will be nights where Iowa will still beat teams you think they will not and I think they will make the Dance comfortably even though I would like nothing more than to see them miss it again.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Iowa had better win 22+ games this year or they won't make it with that schedule. As some have said, they likely won't have a single "good road win" to speak of unless they can beat ISU.

Easy schedules can be nice to have, until you're close to the bubble and then don't make the tourney. Or even if you do make the tourney, you end up with a bad seed, also due to not beating anyone.
With a field of 68 I doubt that they will have to win 22 to get in unless they nearly run the table in the non-con and have a losing record in conference. Even then, 21 wins is likely very comfortable.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
A lot of you guys are pathetic I agree.
giphy.gif

32Cyclone Fan

Jan 31, 2008
The Big 10 was 4th in Sagarin ratings last year and I think they will probably be 3-4 this year.

If Iowa beats UNO at home and Memphis on a neutral court they are in last year. If they win @Minnesota last year and one of those non-con games above they are in last year.

21-10 (10-8) prior to the B1G Tourney would have Iowa safely on the right side of the bubble.

The BIG tourney is unkind to the Hawks and possibly the reason the they aren't given the respect by the NCAA committee they think they deserve. Did anyone know that in Fran's 7 seasons as their coach the Hawks have been one and done five of his 7 seasons and have only won one game each of the other two years and that was long ago in 2012 when they beat Illinois and in 2013 when they beat Northwestern only to lose to Michigan State the second game each time.

My how the Hawks could have used three wins in the BIG tournament like the Cyclones have done three of the last four years but of course the Hawk fans will tell you that doesn't mean anything that they are saving their strength for the NCAA tournament.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Now granted it was against poor competition (Ohio State and Rutgers) but in the two games Jok sat out last year, Bohannon and Ellingson combined for 16 of 27 shooting from three. I am not yet convinced that they will not be able to get good looks without Jok on the floor. Typically in college sports, people say players make their most improvement between their freshman and sophomore years and Iowa has a ton of players in that category.

They will not be great defensively, but there will be nights where Iowa will still beat teams you think they will not and I think they will make the Dance comfortably even though I would like nothing more than to see them miss it again.

But Fran's players have shown to regress after their freshman season.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
The BIG tourney is unkind to the Hawks and possibly the reason the they aren't given the respect by the NCAA committee they think they deserve. Did anyone know that in Fran's 7 seasons as their coach the Hawks have been one and done five of his 7 seasons and have only won one game each of the other two years and that was long ago in 2012 when they beat Illinois and in 2013 when they beat Northwestern only to lose to Michigan State the second game each time.

My how the Hawks could have used three wins in the BIG tournament like the Cyclones have done three of the last four years but of course the Hawk fans will tell you that doesn't mean anything that they are saving their strength for the NCAA tournament.

This has nothing to do with my post.

Even with a first round exit in the B1G tourney, Iowa at 21-11 (10-8) would be in the tournament.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Typically in college sports, people say players make their most improvement between their freshman and sophomore years and Iowa has a ton of players in that category.

I think Fran is the reason for the term "sophomore slump". Remember when expectations where sky high for Woodbury, Gesell and Clemmons after their freshman year and they all were worse their sophomore year?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Even with a first round exit in the B1G tourney, Iowa at 21-11 (10-8) would be in the tournament.

Wow that's pretty cool how you can calculate all of the metrics that go in to the selection committees decisions 3 months before the season has started.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins and Rural

InCyder99

Jul 12, 2016
Wisconsin will be better than Iowa this year. Book it.
As always, a given. I'll go ahead and set a calendar reminder for September 1st, repeating every year. We can just post this and be done with hok talk for the rest of the year.

Aug 26, 2014

Even with the world's easiest schedule, I seriously doubt Iowa goes 10-8 in the BIG. They are going to be a bad team without Jok. As long as Fran is there, Iowa is always a bubble team at best.

• Agree
Reactions: Rural

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Even with the world's easiest schedule, I seriously doubt Iowa goes 10-8 in the BIG. They are going to be a bad team without Jok. As long as Fran is there, Iowa is always a bubble team at best.

Well how do you explain the 2 seasons Iowa made the tourney as a 7 seed, which is not even close to the bubble?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A little common sense goes a long way.
With a field of 68 a power conference team that wins 21 games and has a winning record in conference would require a minor miracle in the mid majors with quite a few teams already in getting upset in their conference tournaments as well as teams outside the bubble in the majors winning their autobids. I don't think it is anywhere near a stretch to say that record would be in.

• Agree
Reactions: HawkeyeMashup

Help Support Us

Become a patron