Internet filter question.

larrybob33

Mar 22, 2006
West Des Moines
OK, I'm on fire today with software questions. My oldest kid is 6 and starting to want to play around on the computer. I think I need to install an internet filter to "keep him out of trouble." Any advice from the crowd in that regards?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I remember when I was young and first got the internet. My parents aren't very computer savvy so, lets just say I took my visions to a whole new level...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
don't let your kid have a computer in his room. Too much privacy.

I would attest to this. I had a computer in my room as a young man and I downloaded a ton of nudy pics from AOL over dialup. I was in highschool, but I did it because I could and the chicks were hot.

Depends on the kids age I guess. I would like my kids to have a computer in their rooms so they dont hog mine, but I can see the cons to it too. At some point you just need to trust them. Educate them on what not to do and what kinds of traps are out there.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I would attest to this. I had a computer in my room as a young man and I downloaded a ton of nudy pics from AOL over dialup. I was in highschool, but I did it because I could and the chicks were hot.

Depends on the kids age I guess. I would like my kids to have a computer in their rooms so they dont hog mine, but I can see the cons to it too. At some point you just need to trust them. Educate them on what not to do and what kinds of traps are out there.
<insert picture of hot tranny here>

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
You probably have a year before your kid is better at using the computer than you. They will probably put filters on to stop you from viewing websites.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Like the Rick-Roll. I've been Rick-Rolled many times on this website. It hurts a little more each time...:sad:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Like the Rick-Roll. I've been Rick-Rolled many times on this website. It hurts a little more each time...:sad:

Thats not as bad as people who redirect you to meatspin.com by using another name. FYI, dont do go there, just take my word for it.

Im serious. Dont go there unless you plan on bleeching your eyes afterward.

Last edited:

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Thats not as bad as people who redirect you to meatspin.com by using another name. FYI, dont do go there, just take my word for it.

Ah, whenever anyone of my friends (or myself....) leaves their computer unlocked, their home page gets randomly reset to meatspin

The best one was the Air Force ROTC kid who never checked his laptop until a sergeant down at Camp Dodge asked if he could look something up on the internet.....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ah, whenever anyone of my friends (or myself....) leaves their computer unlocked, their home page gets randomly reset to meatspin

The best one was the Air Force ROTC kid who never checked his laptop until a sergeant down at Camp Dodge asked if he could look something up on the internet.....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

See, you know its awful. But a great prank.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Im serious. Dont go there unless you plan on bleeching your eyes afterward.

I hate you. You knew I'd go there. And I hate you. Seriously. :wideeyed:

Reactions: bos

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
You haven't lived until you've seen lemonparty.org. The best is putting your friend's browser on that site and set the desktop wallpaper to the picture. They sit down and see the browser, freak out and X out of it, and then boom. More nastyness.

Good thing they don't have negative rep anymore.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A 6 year old needs a filter but as soon as he turns 13 let the kid explore. We had a kid in the neighborhood that had one of those huge satellite dishes that actually moved and at the time all channels were free. Some funny stuff...

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
We have a laptop in out living room and a computer in the spare bedroom. My 12 year old is allowed to use the computer in the spare room, but must keep the door open. There is something to be said about trust, but you also need control and discipline.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
A 6 year old needs a filter but as soon as he turns 13 let the kid explore. We had a kid in the neighborhood that had one of those huge satellite dishes that actually moved and at the time all channels were free. Some funny stuff...

Ha ha.......we had one of those! I'm wondering if my dad ever found it suspicious that it was turning every time they turned into the driveway? Those things turned painfully slow:yes: