interior defense

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

blood94

May 10, 2010
morning guys-- after a night to let my frustrations go i got to thinking our interior defense has to be the worst in the nation. every game we get our **** handed to us from inside the free throw lane if they cant figure a plan or get some big center to control the lane we will not go far with the teams that will be in the tournament with us. for all the talent royce has his defensive technique is terrible percy is very slow to move his feet and booker does okay but fouls way to much

interested on other opinions

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I guess my biggest gripe is our blocking out for rebounds.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think we were really good on the interior for most of the first half, but the defense and the rebounding really disappeared in the second half.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Our perimeter quickness and help defense is really bad too. If teams scouted us well, they would drive to the lane 75% of the time. Texas did it, and so did Mizzou.

CLONECRAZY

Nov 28, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Interior D is a concern and has been all year. Royce does not run the floor well getting back and teams that push will get some easy hoops.

His help D is very concerning. Not sure if that's coached. If he steps over is it a foul every time just due to his size.

I would like to see him use his size to put a body on someone. No doubt he's tough to get around. He seems to rely on his big hands to just grab boards and go. Teams that scout us will see this weakness and penetrate.

I like it when Booker and Percy are in as they won't back down and know they have 5 fouls to give.

Need our interior D to match our perimeter D.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
Our perimeter quickness and help defense is really bad too. If teams scouted us well, they would drive to the lane 75% of the time. Texas did it, and so did Mizzou.

That's dead on accurate. We've shown signs of being a really good defensive team - take the 2nd half of Baylor. We shut them down with our defense and that helped trigger our offense. We never found that defensive groove last night. Texas did exactly what they should have done...penetrate and crash the glass. We were not able to stop that all night. I thought Texas also did a good job of containing Scotty - he didn't get many open looks from 3-land or in the lane...almost everything he put up was contested.

If this team makes the decision to man-up and ball on the defensive end, we can get through the first weekend in the NCAA tourney. If not, we can be 1 and done pretty easily.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Funny how people are now beginning to realise that there are legitimate concerns in regards to outlet defense when the majority of posters were ripping Gottlieb up until yesterday for questioning our defense. Par for the course.

Our defense does play well - for short stretches. But it is way too inconsistent to be considered a "good" defense.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Funny how people are now beginning to realise that there are legitimate concerns in regards to outlet defense when the majority of posters were ripping Gottlieb up until yesterday for questioning our defense. Par for the course.

Our defense does play well - for short stretches. But it is way too inconsistent to be considered a "good" defense.

That can be argued for this whole team. We are a team where one player gets hot from three and carries the team while the others are ice cold. Mcgee had his streak, Babb had his, Allen had his, Scottie had his. Our team is just extremely inconsistent in general

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Exactly. Our interior defense gets exposed so much because our perimeter defense is severely lacking. This explains why Bubu was in so much last night.
Don't get me wrong, our interior defense, especially helping out our guards is horrifying, but it is more of a team problem than anything else.

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
What boxing out? I didn't see any. Even my old lady commented on this and she knows as much about basketball as . . . well . . . not very much

I'm still amazed at how we have outrebounded so many teams this year. We aren't technically sound in the rebounding game. It is almost like we get a lot of boards from pure athleticism. Imagine how great we would be if we tried half as hard or were even close to technically sound at rebounding as Kansas State...

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Interior D is a concern and has been all year. Royce does not run the floor well getting back and teams that push will get some easy hoops.

His help D is very concerning. Not sure if that's coached. If he steps over is it a foul every time just due to his size.

I would like to see him use his size to put a body on someone. No doubt he's tough to get around. He seems to rely on his big hands to just grab boards and go. Teams that scout us will see this weakness and penetrate.

I like it when Booker and Percy are in as they won't back down and know they have 5 fouls to give.

You are right. Royce is usually the last player back on defense.

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa

Might not hurt if he lost 10 pounds or so this offseason, but I'm no basketball coach either. I feel like he could do so much more athletically than he already does, at which point he would be even more of a beast.