Interesting note from the presser today

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Calm down doc. It was just a BB gun. I think "thugs" would probably have a real gun.

Anybody who tries to rob you is a thug. It doesn't matter whether the weapon is a bb gun, a 9 mm, a sharpened, uncoiled paper clip, or a computer cleaning out your bank accounts...

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
If you rob a bank with no weapon, but pass a note that says you do, you will be punished as if you had a weapon in most states.

If a deadly weapon is not actually used the charge can be lessened and/or the punishment reduced.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Cyclones receiver facing robbery charges | CollegeFootballTalk

According to the Cedar Rapids Gazette, ISU police officials have filed the necessary paperwork on the robbery charges Gary will be facing and are merely awaiting a judge’s Herbie Hancock before arresting the receiver. The charges will stem from an incident June 19, the Ames Tribune reports.

According to a June 19 police report, two people were approached by a group of men at 2:26 a.m. One man allegedly frisked them and displayed a BB gun.

The report said nothing was taken and that no one was injured.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
LOL!!! This is nothing guys.

Just your everyday robbery that garners a 3-game suspension.

If you've known about this since prior to the season, why would you let him play at all if you were waiting for it to resolve in the courts. Seems like a good time for a redshirt until it all plays out. But, that's not what PR is doing. He knew the facts.

Either way, I have a hard time accepting that you suspend a player for 3-games who basically robbed someone at gunpoint (real or bb doesn't matter to me in the least).

I wonder who he was with?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Charged with robbery equals a three game suspension.... I am certian convicted of robbery means evicted from the team. And yes doc, convicted does matter as it very different from being charged. If you can't see that.... You really dont understand our legal system.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
I guess we know who he was with:

Go Cyclones - ISU police with paperwork to charge Gary with robbery

Also, ISU running back DeVondrick Nealy was charged with harassment of a public official by Iowa State police on June 19.

An officer was summoned to the corner of Stange Road and Pammel Drive at 2:39 a.m. because a group was carrying a weapon and shooting things on campus, according to a police report.

Nealy was told to get and stay on the ground by an officer, but when the officer went to assist a fellow policeman Nealy got up and started walking north on Stange. A BB gun was found on Nealy.

Nealy was suspended indefinitely in June after his arrest. Nealy is redshirting this season.

Gary has played in six games, catching seven passes for 76 yards.

Note: Tribune reporter Luke Jennett contributed to this story.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Cyclones receiver facing robbery charges | CollegeFootballTalk

According to the Cedar Rapids Gazette, ISU police officials have filed the necessary paperwork on the robbery charges Gary will be facing and are merely awaiting a judge’s Herbie Hancock before arresting the receiver. The charges will stem from an incident June 19, the Ames Tribune reports.

According to a June 19 police report, two people were approached by a group of men at 2:26 a.m. One man allegedly frisked them and displayed a BB gun.

The report said nothing was taken and that no one was injured.

How can you rob someone and not take anything? MY opinion is it should be attempted robbery since nothign was taken.

IMO not a big deal, it was college kids being dumb no one was hurt and nothign was taken, so lets move on.

I did worse things than this (although none included a gun) in college that we thought were hilarious and could have caused injury or damage to property.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Charged with robbery equals a three game suspension.... I am certian convicted of robbery means evicted from the team. And yes doc, convicted does matter as it very different from being charged. If you can't see that.... You really dont understand our legal system.

Does robbery always mean evicted from the team?

Also, PR knows the facts. He knows what happened. Whether he pleads to a lesser legal charge is irrelevant.

In your mind, being convicted of robbery equals kicked off the team. If that's the case, why would you suspend him for just 3 games?

What's that suspension for if the legal system has to play out in its entirety before PR can make a final decision.

That's all he's getting. 3 games.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You don't know **** doc, you're just a hawk troll, iirc. Being charged equals a three game... Keep your pants on and be patient for more information. This isn't over if convicted, imo.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
A robbery done with a bb gun most likely is a lesser charge than an actual deadly weapon. I assume he wasn't arrested for 'armed' robbery.

I don't know, one time an Ames Cop on a rampage, who had busted a party at my house and was on a serious power trip, saw a bb gun in one of our rooms and claimed it was a deadly weapon and he could take us all to jail for it. Even though it was a bb gun, and it was just sitting in our house. Of course, I don't know how good of a source that idiot is, he also claimed he could take us all to jail if we didn't give him the name of someone else who was at the party, and he also claimed he could send me to jail "for years" for assaulting an officer when I put a hand on his shoulder and told him to talk to me rather than shaking and trying to talk to one of my roomates who was passed out on his birthday.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
How can you rob someone and not take anything? MY opinion is it should be attempted robbery since nothign was taken.

IMO not a big deal, it was college kids being dumb no one was hurt and nothign was taken, so lets move on.

I did worse things than this (although none included a gun) in college that we thought were hilarious and could have caused injury or damage to property.

This is rich.

Because the victims had nothing to take, let's just move on. They had them empty their pockets because they were going to take anything of value.

You did worse, but never with a gun...? What charges would your actions have garnered? Vandalism ain't worse than robbing someone at gunpoint.

Pull your head out.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You suspend him for three games because... Wait for it.... HE HASN'T BEEN CONVICTED. I suspect more o come if he is convicted.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
You don't know **** doc, you're just a hawk troll, iirc. Being charged equals a three game... Keep your pants on and be patient for more information. This isn't over if convicted, imo.

Anyone who doesn't dismiss this as kids being kids is a troll.

Typical.

It's over and you know it. Nothing more will come of it or he wouldn't be playing right now when PR already knows all the facts.

You don't suspend a kid temporarily based on serious charges and then unsuspend him prior to those charges playing out in court if you plan to do more when it's concluded.

You're blind.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is rich.

Because the victims had nothing to take, let's just move on. They had them empty their pockets because they were going to take anything of value.

You did worse, but never with a gun...? What charges would your actions have garnered? Vandalism ain't worse than robbing someone at gunpoint.

Pull your head out.

Oh Sorry I shouldn't have posted something counter to the Cyclonefanatic judge and jury. I said it was my opinion and yes we have different opinions, it happens.

Yes I did worse and the penalty would have depended on if an injury occurred (lucky it never did but easily could have).

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
You suspend him for three games because... Wait for it.... HE HASN'T BEEN CONVICTED. I suspect more o come if he is convicted.

So, what are you suspending him for, then?

He wasn't charged and still isn't at this very minute.

What was he suspended for?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Where did I say dismiss this? Charged DOES NOT EQUAL convicted. Charged, just charged gave this kid a three game bench ride. You say you know nothing will happen... Please enlighten us how you know that... Tea and crumpits with CPR?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
So is Doctor really a hawk troll? Might explain his blood-thirst.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Okay... Theuvare awaiting for him to be charged... They expect him to be charged. either way, its a three game suspension. And please tell us how you know nothing more will happen.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I'm on my mobile so I can't look it up, bit iirc (without coffee yet this am) he is a hawk troll.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Where did I say dismiss this? Charged DOES NOT EQUAL convicted. Charged, just charged gave this kid a three game bench ride. You say you know nothing will happen... Please enlighten us how you know that... Tea and crumpits with CPR?

He still hasn't been charged.

Why was he suspended for the first 3 games when he hadn't been charged with anything at that time?

It looks like he will be charged today, so will a further suspension be coming since you're saying PR suspends based on charges. PR said he's playing Friday.

Keep it together.