Instate recruiting

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Just thinking about all the instate Div I recruits that didn't go to ISU. Seems we miss out most often on those that originate east of I-35. For example:Collison, LaFrenz, Mark Gannon, Chris Street, Jess Settles, Brunner, Gatens, Gibbs, Bohannon,Horner, Etc. Some we got West of I-35:Homan, Meyer, Hoiberg,Morgan Wheat, Hurl Beechum,Brian Peterson, Mike Born, and we lost Heinrich, Troy Skinner, and Berkenpas, The Korver family, Tyler McKinney, Nate Funk Etc.The only recruits I can remember ISU getting from eastern Iowa in the last 30 years were Kunnert from Dubuque, Dean Utoff, and Klay Edwards. What is the point of all this nonsense? Probably that chances of Pomlee or Kaylon Williams ending up at ISU are slim and none.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I don't think Kaylon Williams will come here, but I still think there is a chance at Pomlee. Recently, on the news he said something like "Iowa State and Wisconsin are recruiting me pretty hard" or something to that effect, but I have no idea if he will come here or not.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Most of the guys you listed from the east went to Iowa or KU. The ones that went to Iowa are probably big time Hawk fans so we never had a chance, didn't Horner commit when he was 15 or something like that? It is also hard to get a kid to come to ISU when KU comes calling, especially if he is not a big Cyclone fan.

It would be nice to get the best instate talent every year, but it will never be easy.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Collison and Heinrich were coming here, but decided to go to KU when Floyd left for the pro's. Since we lost Heinrich that is when LE decided to go find JT. I'd take JT.

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
Collison and Heinrich were coming here, but decided to go to KU when Floyd left for the pro's. Since we lost Heinrich that is when LE decided to go find JT. I'd take JT.

Not entirely true. Yes, Hinrich was a verbal commit to Floyd and reopened when he left for Chicago. Collison was never seriously interested in ISU.

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
Most of those had to do with coaching changes and ISU being poor @ the time. Things will change just look how well GMAC recruited instate @ UNI. We have a much better chance @ recruiting big In-State players because Greg is an Iowa Boy with roots here and can relate to these players.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Considering Evansville is Williams' only offer at this time, and the fact that Pomlee's academic status and questions about his game are causing other schools to stay away... maybe we aren't the only people "missing" on them, and maybe we are "missing" on them for a reason.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Geographically speaking, the Korvers are East of I35.

I did see their dad at the MVC tournament last night. Maybe if I see him peeing again I'll hint that the 4th Korver should play at ISU. However, I'm sure an undercover NCAA infractions agent will bust me for an illegal recruiting violation. In my defense, I saw pastor Korver preach a couple times in high school so we technically have a relationship that antedates the recruitment of his son. Sweet.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
I used to stop at the Red Rooster Grill in Iowa Falls for breakfast on my way home from ISU games when Collison was in HS. He NEVER gave any serious consideration to ISU. Rafe Lafrenz dad got his haircut at the same shop I do. Rafe NEVER gave serious consideration to ISU. Johnny Orr days.

raftercy

Sep 6, 2006
Albia, IA
Don't forget about Terry Woods from Waterloo, and Jessan Grey from Davenport, both of which are east of I-35.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Mike Henderson & Carlton Reed both played at Iowa.

I remember hearing that both Ryan Sears & Tyler McKinney would have gone to ISU if offered, but ended up settling for Creighton and going to quite a few NCAA tourneys with the Bluejays.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Most of the guys you listed from the east went to Iowa or KU. The ones that went to Iowa are probably big time Hawk fans so we never had a chance, didn't Horner commit when he was 15 or something like that? It is also hard to get a kid to come to ISU when KU comes calling, especially if he is not a big Cyclone fan.

It would be nice to get the best instate talent every year, but it will never be easy.
Dean Oliver went to UI when Horner was younger, I am sure that had alot to do with his choice. Horners dad also was the coach and prob had ties with UI after the recruitment of Oliver. I have no recalection if ISU recruited Oliver.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron