INSTANT REACTION: No. 1 Baylor 67, Iowa State 53

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
you and jared have my respect in your ability to record these right after the games - you guys are pros.

Agreed. Jared and Chris are troopers for following through on these instant reactions when it’s really not that fun to talk about over and over again.

Reminds me I need to up my patron/CF donation amounts.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
The worst feeling is that I don’t even remember the last time I was this apathetic towards this program. Even McDermott’s last team had exponentially more talent than this one.

The worst part is I can’t even look to next year as that’s shaping up to be worse than this one, unless we plan on relying on freshman and transfers. And that’s worked so well in Prohm’s tenure.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The worst feeling is that I don’t even remember the last time I was this apathetic towards this program. Even McDermott’s last team had exponentially more talent than this one.

The worst part is I can’t even look to next year as that’s shaping up to be worse than this one, unless we plan on relying on freshman and transfers. And that’s worked so well in Prohm’s tenure.

It's tough to stomach that this could be a trend for awhile. But I agree, it's a daunting reality

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Yes, the lack of playing time for Lewis is really a headscratcher. I also commend Williams for being willing to talk about it. I don't envy these reporters' position - they want to maintain access and a good relationship with the coaching staff, but at the same time they need to be independent and uphold their journalistic standards. It's got to be tough.

What I'm most worried about: Prohm has demonstrated in the past that he "digs in" with his lineup and approach regardless of the facts. I think it happened last year with Wigginton when he got injured and was therefore relegated to the bench the rest of the year. It was crazy, Wigginton would come in routinely about the 15 or 14 minute mark every game. Sometimes he played great to end a half and it was clear he should start the second half, but he never did. Head-scratcher. Same issues with Lewis this year. I just think Prohm digs in and isn't very flexible or adaptable. I feel bad for Lewis and I hope Prohm will carefully reassess and try to be objective in determining if he's being fair to Lewis.

I'm still holding out hope for this team as these guys are playing hard, but how they're managed by the staff and seeing the same issues over and over is tough. Cheer for them and keep your fingers' crossed CycloneNation. Even if we lose plenty more games I will find it encouraging if we see some changes. I appreciate the reporters asking the tough questions about Lewis.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I cannot understand how anyone with any basketball knowledge would think Nixon and Jacobsen deserve the minutes they are getting let alone our head coach.

I really don't like criticizing the players, but I have to agree with you; Nixon particularly. Those guys are giving their all and I appreciate it, but it would be nice to see a new starting line up. Watching Young those last two games before tonight, I thought he had really been playing well and was a huge reason (along with Lewis) why we made that comeback at Auburn, but then he gets benched again to start the game and it was just a head-scratcher.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Very few yrs have I ever written a team off, but I'm about ready to with this one they can't play 40 minutes of ball to save their life. Shooting % is ROUGH. There is a reason there is no reason to guard Nixon if he is outside of the paint. (sorry about ripping on a player)

For what it's worth I'm still going to the games but I'm just lowering my expectations. I'm like the bottom team in the NBA just playing the season out.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyBobby

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Watching the press conference Prohm gave though, and it's easy to see this is tough on him. He owns up and takes responsibility. He also says a lot of great things, like "when we run offense, we're efficient, but when we stand around and go one-on-one, we're not" (paraphrasing). I haven't watched many of his press conferences so it does color my view that he seems to be coaching them the right way, but maybe things just aren't settling in as much as we'd like.....

Tough. Stinks. I don't know.... Be careful what all of you wishing for Prohm's demise get though. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Agreed. Jared and Chris are troopers for following through on these instant reactions when it’s really not that fun to talk about over and over again.

Reminds me I need to up my patron/CF donation amounts.
I literally just signed up tonight after seeing this post. I've been meaning to support the site for awhile and finally got around to it. I appreciate them telling it like they see it, even when it's hard to do so and can lead to criticizing the coach.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron