Installing motherboard

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
Is it possible to install a motherboard in HP 6000 laptop without much trouble?
What things should I watch out for, or special tools needed?
Are the motherboards on ebay a good buy ,if they are tested to be good?
Thanks for any feedback.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
It is considerably harder than most pc installations, but is doable. I've had plenty of success with ebay from highly rated sellers that call their stuff new and some success with used/tested like new.

Mother boards are fairly involved, and need to be taken apart and put back together in order. I suggest taking 5 or 6 pictures as you take out screws and try to keep the screws labeled. Lots of them look like they are the same screw and are not label every one and mark you pics with where they go. Nothin worse than putting it back together just to leave a screw out from early in the process. One missing screw can sometimes be a big deal. I've heard of broken fans and shorts caused by just one screw missed.

One thing that I have done is use a monthly pill box sorter to keep each screw in and then the part that is a little questionable, I have used a felt tip marker to mark on the greenboard next to screw placement. I don't know if many would recommend that, but I haven't had problems with it.

At any rate take extensive notes during disassembly so that you can put it back together the right way.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
One other suggestion, Ebay is good, but I often use a site for pc parts

pricewatch.com that is excellent. All kinds of vendors and great prices. At the very least gives you a price to beat with ebay.

I don't know how much exp you have with laptops, but the motherboards are much more specialized than PC's I'm guessing you are aware of that, but with any site you use, make sure that you have the right board. Check pictures and get verifications if possible.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Laptops are a little more difficult due to the routing of some cables, connectors and other peripherals - but it's still easy if you're patient. Since you're a noob at it, try checking if HP has a service manual for that model on their support site detailing exactly how to take the machine/board apart.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
If you yourself haven't installed motherboards before, you might want to find an experienced friend that can guide you through it the first time. It's not tough, but mistakes are easy to make if you don't know what you're doing.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
Is static electricity an issue when working on these lap tops?
Thanks for all the good feed back.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Static isnt as much of an issue as one might think. Static is everywhere all of the time, if these things were so touchy no electronics would work ever. Now Im not saying that you should push the envelop, but dont drive yourself insane worrying about it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Lemme guess - since you're wanting to replace a motherboard in an HP by yourself, you got burned by HP with the whole NVIDIA (being a 6000 series, I'm guessing a GeForce 8x000m chip) overheating issue and HP's refusing to fix it because you're out of warranty (when every other computer company out there has extended their warranties to resolve the defect).

I'm dealing with the exact same issue with my HP 9700 - it "works" as long as I keep my machine on the Standard VGA Video Adapter (which means every couple of days entering safe mode and uninstalling the NVIDIA driver that Windows update installs). However, I can do nothing that requires DirectX - no games, no DVDs, nothing that requires graphics acceleration. Basically, this PoS has become a very expensive, very heavy, very hot netbook.

Help Support Us

Become a patron