INSIDER: What I'm hearing on the scrimmage vs. Wisconsin

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I get it. We've more often than not sucked. So has Texas Tech though and they won a regular season title played in the national title game this year. You can overcome what your past says you are in college sports. If they can do it so can we. We gotta leave this poor Iowa State, always the underdog crap behind us eventually. We've been a good program for what, 9 years now? We're the only ones who views our basketball program like this anymore. There are some kids who don't have memories of us being awful and don't even know who Wayne Morgan is. We've been in a position to take the next step for a while now and haven't

Well this will be fun, might as well as list your coaching replacement list before the season starts, you must have one. So with your disdain of the BB program have you burned your tickets?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@GTO please insert your spidey/JLH gif. I believe this thread is off the rails enough to deserve it, plus boobs.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Well this will be fun, might as well as list your coaching replacement list before the season starts, you must have one. So with your disdain of the BB program have you burned your tickets?
Why? I didn't say I wanted him fired. I responded to someone asking why people might not be super high on him with reasons as to why that might be and also wanted to point out that saying things like "oh well, we're Iowa State. Let's just be happy we win anything ever because we used to suck in the 80s" is dumb and pointless. The 2 posts don't have anything to do with each other.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Why? I didn't say I wanted him fired. I responded to someone asking why people might not be super high on him with reasons as to why that might be and also wanted to point out that saying things like "oh well, we're Iowa State. Let's just be happy we win anything ever because we used to suck in the 80s" is dumb and pointless. The 2 posts don't have anything to do with each other.

Yeah after I kept reading thru the thread I saw your reply to someone else, but I was too lazy to delete my post.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Yeah after I kept reading thru the thread I saw your reply to someone else, but I was too lazy to delete my post.

actually you could have just read his contributions from last season and the year before, and you would have known to not delete it.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
I'd rather we play like hot garbage in scrimmages and get some things fixed now, rather than play like complete ass in B4A and beyond. From what I remember, we looked pretty good in in our scrimmages last year, and we struggled to find a true rhythm all year. Scrimmages are designed for for this particular reason.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'd rather we play like hot garbage in scrimmages and get some things fixed now, rather than play like complete ass in B4A and beyond. From what I remember, we looked pretty good in in our scrimmages last year, and we struggled to find a true rhythm all year. Scrimmages are designed for for this particular reason.
We had rhythm for nearly half the season. And we struggled in our scrimmage with Wisconsin.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I never really felt like we fully clicked. The big 12 championship is a total outlier. We looked awful in the tournament. It was a pretty up and down year in my opinion.
We were clicking when we only had 8 available.

Ignoring that, we also struggled in an exhibition last year. Plus, there’s nothing to suggest struggling in exhibitions better correlates to the team having a rhythm during the season. I like the glass half-full mindset, but there was essentially nothing correct in your post imo.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
We were clicking when we only had 8 available.

Ignoring that, we also struggled in an exhibition last year. Plus, there’s nothing to suggest struggling in exhibitions better correlates to the team having a rhythm during the season. I like the glass half-full mindset, but there was essentially nothing correct in your post imo.
I said it was my opinion, I wasn't seeking your thoughts. I didn't even reply to a specific person. We did look bad in the NCAA tournament, please let me know how that part is incorrect.

Reactions: Halincandenza

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I don't have a ton of specifics as far as information goes but did ask around for general thoughts on the scrimmage vs. Wisconsin over the weekend.

The final score was pretty ugly but I'm hearing the damage was done in the second half. Apparently ISU was very strong in the first 20 and then just collapsed in the second.

Not sure exactly what to take from it other than inconsistency should somewhat be expected with this group early on. ISU did lose 80 percent of its scoring from a year ago.

I'd be really interested to hear about lineups, etc. Is ISU exclusively playing with 2 bigs?

Heard that the defense has been rough early, which is gonna be a problem, as this team isn't elite offensively by any means. I guess the good thing is the defense will no doubt get better with more reps. It generally always does.

Sorry I don't have more in the form of specifics. Will work on that today.

BUMP.

I'm always a sucker for an "expectations" thread 3 months later.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't have a ton of specifics as far as information goes but did ask around for general thoughts on the scrimmage vs. Wisconsin over the weekend.

The final score was pretty ugly but I'm hearing the damage was done in the second half. Apparently ISU was very strong in the first 20 and then just collapsed in the second.

Not sure exactly what to take from it other than inconsistency should somewhat be expected with this group early on. ISU did lose 80 percent of its scoring from a year ago.

I'd be really interested to hear about lineups, etc. Is ISU exclusively playing with 2 bigs?

Heard that the defense has been rough early, which is gonna be a problem, as this team isn't elite offensively by any means. I guess the good thing is the defense will no doubt get better with more reps. It generally always does.

Sorry I don't have more in the form of specifics. Will work on that today.

Pretty much called it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Pretty much called it.

I was about to say that very thing. Sometimes you read stuff like that in the preseason and think "it's just one scrimmage" or "they'll grow" but man, that has really turned out to be prescient.

Now having said that, maybe we have grown...because while we're still showing those tendencies, we're showing them against far better teams than Wisconsin. The competition level matters.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was about to say that very thing. Sometimes you read stuff like that in the preseason and think "it's just one scrimmage" or "they'll grow" but man, that has really turned out to be prescient.

Now having said that, maybe we have grown...because while we're still showing those tendencies, we're showing them against far better teams than Wisconsin. The competition level matters.

Wisconsin also had an upper hand due to having lots of guys back that have played together.

They're a mess too though, likely worse than ISU.

I guess maybe ISU had an identity all this time?

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron